Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 11-01-2010, 04:44 AM   #1
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
NO!! help from Team Montana -Update with pics

This AM I called Team Montana about vertical movement of the king pin box. It is 3/4 inch. This movement shows up in the closet. The divider is getting out of place. When I told them I had a Morryde king pin box they asked who installed it. I said I did. Was told that because it had not been installed by factory or dealer they could not give any advise on a fix. Was told to take it to a dealer. I said that would be impractical as the king pin box is off and the unit is open. I have removed the panel under the bedroom. All welds look good. Asked if they any any suggestions what to look for or check. Again "take it to a dealer".

Very upset that they implied that this probem was my fault.

I may put it back together, take out the divider and just let it flex.

Edit

After calming down and reinspecting all the welds discovered that there were broken welds and fractured metal. This is along the sides. Both sides were affected. The metal strips you see need to be replaced. With help from bil we can do it. Q here we come.

rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:13 AM   #2
drsmart
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10690
From what I see in the rear view mirror while travelling, there's about 1/2 to one inch vertical movement compared to the fiberglass cap in front of the King pin. We had the MorRyde pin box installed from the factory. How much flex is normal?
drsmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:50 AM   #3
Crossthread
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6460
Dick, I got the same runaround. Check the phillips head screws on the underside of the trailer.They go into a piece of wood slid inside the aluminum tubing. On mine,there was a screw in every other hole. Bill
Crossthread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Dick,
Is the 3/4 in out at the pin or where the box is bolted to the trailer? If it's out at the pin that's about what mine flexes and I measured another one and got the same results

Charlie
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:33 AM   #5
rlwhit
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3189
Charlie, that 3/4 was just at the start of the flat surface at the front of the nose cap.

Dick
rlwhit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 02:58 PM   #6
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
OK Dick, my measurement may have been a little farther forward. While this doesn't sound out of the ordinary it doesn't explain what is going on in your closet.
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #7
KTManiac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8818

The divider between the closet and W/D cabinet on mine had the same thing going on when it was new. Turns out that the panel was cut to fit too snug, and was missing a piece of trim. Practically after every road trip it was popped out of place.

When we went to the Fall Rally last year, we took it to the factory service center for this and other small issues. They trimmed off some of the panel and installed the missing trim piece, and all is well for the last 3,000 miles.

Oh, by the way, I kept my original pin box when I replaced it with a 5th Airborne for just that reason of frame warranty BS that they gave you. It is ridiculous that if you (or even a dealer) install the MOR/ryde it voids the frame warranty, but if it comes from the factory with one, everything is just hunky-dory. What a bunch of hooey!

Now that you are on the record with them as having done this, I sure hope that you don't really have any frame issues, as you will be left hanging out there and liable for any cost of repairs.

But, I think that you will find that it is just the panel that is too close fitting to allow for normal frame flexing movement, like mine was.

KTManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:18 PM   #8
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Much like KTManiac described, my panel used to pop out of place. After the first pop out, it never really returned to its original position. I finally pulled all the staples so it would fit in the original position. I didn't trim off any material, but I did apply a liberal amount of brad nailing along with the use 1/4 round along the panel edges, on both sides, to better anchor it in position. That was over three years and 20K miles ago with no further separation.

I too concluded it was too tight for the normal amount of flex up front. But then again, I have never measured the flex. There is no sign of the normal excessive flex indicators like cracks at the corner of the bedroom slide, gaps in the molding, or interior cabinet damage.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 02:49 PM   #9
PapaBeav
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7487
That kinda looks like ours (new pics) before we had it repaired, only ours had several more cracks than that. Ours had 2 3/4 inches of flex, and now that it has been repaired it is down to 3/4". I use to see a lot of movement in the rear view mirror, but now there is very little. Only time will tell if it is going to hold up. Rich
PapaBeav is offline   Reply With Quote