Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2009, 08:17 AM   #21
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

Dave, you can always check it like a 9 volt battery, with your tongue. If your face bursts into flame then there is a problem, if your ears just flap then close the window as it is too windy. If you fall over dead then H. John Kohl made this post... Dave
Dave, now I understand why your head is so shiny!

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 10:42 AM   #22
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Steve,

Did you say Shiny Head?.......Shiny Head?

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 02:50 PM   #23
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
OOPS, Dave, I meant the OTHER Dave, the one who tests by kissing a 9-volt battery!
Old 08-04-2009, 03:43 PM   #24
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
OHHHHHH.....well then that is REALLY funny Steve!!!
Old 08-04-2009, 04:21 PM   #25
jwedell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6436
Here's my 2 cents worth.
The power poles are considered sub panels and as such the neutral and groung wire must be separated. If they were not and you lost the neutral all the current would return on the ground wire. So far everything would still work. However if you lost the ground or had a poor connection, the cases or metal of every appliance in the 5er would be at a very high voltage potential. Here is what I would do:
1 - The power cord is probably ok but I would ohm out each leg from the male end to the female end. And also check for a short between wires. Pay special attention to the wire colors. You could have that problem if the white and green wires are crossed at any point. You may want to open the cord ends and varify the are on the correct terminals.
2 - If the power cable checks out ok I would plug it into the outside of the 5er and run the plug end into the 5er to the electrical panel. Perform the same test as above. You will get continuity between the 2 hot legs and also between each hot leg and neutral. However you should get no continuity between the ground and the neutral. Do it with all breakers off and then only with the main on and then with each individual breaker. You are using resistance instead of voltage for safety. as you turn on each breaker the resistance will increase between the hot and neutral and have nothing on the hot to ground. If you have resistance on the ground and it keeps building as more breakers are turned on it is definitely a neutral and ground problem and will need further testing. It is a potentially dangerous condition and must be corrected by you or a professional. In any event good luck. I know this is long, sorry. if there is anything you do not understand please post or PM me. I would be glad to help if I can. John
jwedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 08:15 AM   #26
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by David and Jo-Anna

OHHHHHH.....well then that is REALLY funny Steve!!!
Since he hasn't replied, he must not think it funny! I hope I didn't offend him.
Old 08-05-2009, 11:07 AM   #27
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
Wait a minute, I got more hair than David. it is just shorter. Actually Daves face is just taller than mine...Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #28
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Taller face?? Taller face?? Hey Dave, just what are you trying to say!!!!!

Now Steve, see what you've started!! LOL!!!
Old 08-05-2009, 04:44 PM   #29
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Exnavydiver

Dave, you can always check it like a 9 volt battery, with your tongue. If your face bursts into flame then there is a problem, if your ears just flap then close the window as it is too windy. If you fall over dead then H. John Kohl made this post... Dave
Dave, you've always been an ALL OR NOTHING kinda guy.

BTW the way, thanks tons for your help on my awning. Great fix.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote