Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-27-2006, 04:10 PM   #1
mike johnson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3382
water pump problems ??

some really strange sounds coming from my waterpump.first time dry camped and used the pump,it was really thumping .i went to the search button,nothing there for me,anybody else with this prob.i used the pump the trip with no leaks.that i could see anyway.thx

mike johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 04:40 PM   #2
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976
Hi Mike,

In the search For type in "Water Pump'
and make sure you change the search by date to "in the last year"
There is lots in there.
Most iof these pumps will be loud from time to time.
Some times they thump and some times they don't

J & D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:29 AM   #3
mike johnson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3382
thx, j&d for the info, it worked and i have all the info i need.i guess the search forum is very touchy,but it worked. plenty of problems with the water pump. thx again
mike johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 04:35 AM   #4
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Some folks have eased the problem by using foam insulation around all pipes where they are fastened down to dampen the noise. I also remember someone put a computer mousepad under the pump itself to minimize the vibration.
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 02:05 PM   #5
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
I installed the flex hoses and it was still noisy. What I found was that the pump when running was hitting the bottom of the shelf. I raised the shelf a half of an inch and now with the new hoses it is quite.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 02:35 PM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Doing a pre-PDI today I did not think the pump made any more noise than the pump in our previous camper.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 02:39 PM   #7
Mac
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4624
Rich,

You're right here too, I think we all just expect perfection on the Montana's and in fact it's a water pump, pretty much the same we've all had on other units. I've added a little gasket material under mine and it helps, but in reality it's not that bad anyway.

mac
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 11:20 AM   #8
MIMF2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3886
Over the weekend, I decided we were going to use the water pump by filling the tank with softened water. I used several tablespoons of Calgon and filled the tank. We had great water for cleaning. We didn't use it for drinking or cooking. We never do.

However, everytime that pump would kick in. it sound like somebody was using a jack-hammer under the shower stall. Gail laid down the law and said she was NOT going to put up with that!

So, I proceeded to make my way to the basement to investigate. I had to remove a wall to get there. When I found it, I hollered at her and asked her to turn on a faucet. What I discovered was, that it was the line itself laying on the plywood floor that was making all the noise. I wrapped some paper towels around it which is the next best thing since......... duct tape and made it really quiet. So, this next week, I'm going to Lowe's to pick up some foam pipe insulators and make another trip under there and finish the job right.

Another thing I also done, was to loosen the screws to the grommets that hold the motor to the floor. Backing the heads off a little reduced the vibration noise thru the floor.

I have decided that I would still like to hear a humming noise when the pump runs so that if it starts and we are not using any water, I've got a problem that I need to look for.

Dale
MIMF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 12:00 PM   #9
Lstierw
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3532
For sure these sounds are typical with RV water pumps. Most of the noise in our Montana came from the water pump area. We did insulate around the pump and it helped alot.....Les
Lstierw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 12:17 PM   #10
Searchers
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1685
Dale,
"I have decided that I would still like to hear a humming noise when the pump runs so that if it starts and we are not using any water, I've got a problem that I need to look for."

This is exactly why I don't mind the noise. It's a built in leak alarm. I do turn the pump off when away from the unit and city water hose bib also.
Searchers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 12:31 PM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
In out previous camper we installed rubber grommets that we had laying around that acted as shock absorbers between the pump and the floor. We like to hear that hummm as it is a indication that it is working and it will change pitch or not shut off if there is a leak somewhere.Since we do not dry camp and carry bottled water when traveling we hardly ever use the pump so the noise is not a big issue with us although I will say that a friend of ours has a 3670 with that jackhammer effect.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 05:39 PM   #12
bobgay
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5072
I have a jackhammer in mine also. Seems much louder than other RV's we have had. Can anyone tell me where the pump is located on a 3000RK?
bobgay is offline   Reply With Quote