Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-06-2015, 06:34 AM   #1
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
No Propane Feed on Driver Side

Looking for some ideas with this issue discovered this morning, just as we will be heading into the teens overnight tomorrow:

* Propane not feeding from driver side compartment.
* Plenty of propane in tank.
* Same tank works fine in door side compartment.
* The indicator on that flip lever (the one you turn to indicate which tank you're using) that is in the driver side reads red for both tanks when tank is hooked up there, but shows green when tank is in door side compartment only, so I'm thinking it is not the regulator.
* Propane is apparently not making it from the tank through the connection at the hose on the driver side; the add-on inline gauge there shows the tank empty. Took that gauge and connection off, but propane still is not making it through the connection into the rig. See above - plenty of propane in tank.
* Probably not the tank, as it works fine in other side. Other tanks are empty, so can't check them right now. We are making a propane fill run today.

Suddenly a bad connection? We noticed a few days ago that we might be actually drawing from the door side even though the indicator was turned to run off door side. No big deal until door side tank emptied . . . now we know we have a problem.

Thanks for any ideas!

TYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:10 AM   #2
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
I had the same problem you are experiencing, I would bet it is the short hose from the tank to the regulator. The OEM hoses are cheap and often fail because of a small built in valve in the hose fitting. I went to a propane supplier and had two new hoses made up and have had no problems since.

Sadly the hoses you buy from Camping World and other RV outlets are not any better than the OEM. My advise is to go to a propane dealer who will make the hose for you at whatever length you want.

Good luck

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:49 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Many have also reported not getting any flow if they opened the valve too fast. Try shutting it off, waiting a while (or remove the hose from the tank and then put it back on to relieve pressure), then open the valve very s-l-o-w-l-y.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 07:49 AM   #4
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
Ed,
Thanks for your response. I'm leaning toward the hose and/or its connection being the issue. Regulators on both sides seem to be okay.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:59 AM   #5
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
On our 2010 a year ago it turned out to be that short hose. I now carry a spare and sealant and it's the first thing I would expect.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 08:54 AM   #6
TYR
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9976
Thanks, everyone. After additional troubleshooting, we're thinking it may be the regulator on that side. Have a mobile tech coming out in the AM. Will probably order a spare hose anyway to have on hand.
Old 01-06-2015, 11:38 AM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
The regulator on that side has been an issue for others.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 12:13 PM   #8
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
DarMar stated he carries a spare hose and sealant. I also carry the spare hose or line but I was told by the local propane dealer here in Omaha not to put the Teflon tape or any sealant on the hose threads of the propane lines because there is a chance that the tape/sealant could shred or ooze from the fitting into the line and put small pieces into the line and possibly go into the furnace, water heater, or stove orifices just by screwing the line on to the fitting. He said the lines naturally seal when tightened correctly.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 01:52 PM   #9
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
The "driver" side compartment has the Auto switching 2 stage regulator, if I understand the OP the tank on that side was not supplying fuel but when switched to the "door" side it worked. The "door" side has a small single stage regulator that has caused problems for some, however in this case there is propane coming from that side. That would indicate the small regulator is fine.
If it were problem with the hose leading from the "door" side tank to the single stage regulator or the regulator then there would be no propane to the fixtures.
The crossover pipe from the "door" side feeds into the Auto switching regulator through another small hose, that hose also has to be OK or there would no propane to the fixtures. The "driver" side tank feeds directly into the Auto regulator by way of a short hose, if little or no pressure is sensed at the regulator from that bottle it would assume the bottle to be empty. Now if the bottle on the "door" side is actually empty and the regulator is sensing no propane from the "driver" side then no mater where you turned the regulator switch they would both show empty.

It is pretty simple to remove the "driver" side hose from the regulator and with it attached to the tank and away from any possible spark turn the valve on, there should be propane coming out of the hose, if not then the hose is defective as I suspect is the case.

I think Dick is confused with the single stage red regulator on the "door" side and the Auto switching regulator on the "driver" side. But both have been know to fail.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 02:11 PM   #10
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
Those Pig Tail hoses from the Tanks to the regulators have been giving folks of all brands problems. They seem to work fine one minute, then just quit passing propane.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:24 PM   #11
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Rondo

DarMar stated he carries a spare hose and sealant. I also carry the spare hose or line but I was told by the local propane dealer here in Omaha not to put the Teflon tape or any sealant on the hose threads of the propane lines because there is a chance that the tape/sealant could shred or ooze from the fitting into the line and put small pieces into the line and possibly go into the furnace, water heater, or stove orifices just by screwing the line on to the fitting. He said the lines naturally seal when tightened correctly.
As shown to us by our mobile tech two years ago, the pipe dope paste is to be used on the male pipe thread fittings with nothing required, nor should be used on a flared fitting. Therefore the one hose end requires pipe dope but the flared tank end doesn't. JMHO
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 04:18 PM   #12
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
And yes. Folks have reported regulator failure on either side.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote