Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 01-29-2014, 06:49 AM   #1
jaystar

M.O.C. #13915
Water Leak Bedroom

Have a 2012 Montana 3402RL Hickory Edition.Have a elusive water leak in the bedroom with slide closed or open. Have had it with a dealer and two mobile service techs. Water shows up in front corner between the closet and bed. With no water on walls or top surface of slide carpet or in closet. Have noticed a friends 2013 3400RL has a two inch strip of molding on both sides of bedroom slide right above the trim piece inside of the rubber slide seals. Anyone have a similar experience or any advice.

jaystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 07:09 AM   #2
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
Yep we have had the same problem in our 2012 3402rl ,they missed caulking a little spot on the front cap towards the bottom so I caulked it myself and it stopped for the most part but if it rains really hard I still get a little wet in that area ,I have looked for other area's where water could get in and can't find any so I just have 2 DRI-EZ containers one in the closet and one under the window next to the bed and every once in a while I have to put a heater in that spot for a little bit to dry it out
Old 01-29-2014, 09:38 AM   #3
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hello

You have a roof leek. The water is running down between the inner and outer wall to the floor. If it is in the slide have a good technician look closely at the area just below the rubber roof. Keystone had some of its assembly people using the self taping bolts that are used to hold the belly covering to the frame and they will not hold in wood or fiberglass.

It cost me 10 grand to learn this. LOL

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 01:23 PM   #4
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
This is what I found.

http://www.montanaowners.com/forums/...archTerms=leak
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 05:01 PM   #5
sgtpp214
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1782
Had the exact same problem. It is leaking in somewhere along the trim around the slide on the outside. Probably along the bottom trim. That was our problem and solution was to caulk all along the trim at the bottom.
sgtpp214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 02:23 AM   #6
Johnnyg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9710
Had water on the carpet in the same place. What I discovered was when I would close the slide the rubber seal along the top of the slide was folded, half facing in and half out which created a small gap at the fold. Rain water found its way inside the seal and down on to the carpet.
Johnnyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:48 AM   #7
brooksider
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9963
In My case, the floor had to be replaced in the Bed room slide. the wide moulding on the outside of the slide was leaking due to poor or lack of caulking. This allowed the water to pool at the bottom of this moulding and the plywood floor wicked the water. Believe it or not the floor was rotten along the 3 outside sides of the floor. on a couple of occasions the carpet felt damp which I then went looking. I replaced the floor in the slide last fall.
Joe
brooksider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 02:50 PM   #8
jsmitfl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1709
Send a message via MSN to jsmitfl
Check ALL of the metal trims around the slide opening. We had some water getting in above the slide roof just before the molding went under the slide cover. It's the metal that finishes the rough opening of the fiver wall. Hope you find it. Check your antenna also. The rubber boot can come loose. Your only 2-3 feet from where your carpet was wet. Water can run down the inside of the ceiling over to the wall and then on the inside of the wall like someone else suggested.
jsmitfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2014, 03:17 PM   #9
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Check the little rubber boot on the TV coax , leaked on our 2010, slides back from seat.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:52 PM   #10
jaystar

M.O.C. #13915
Thanks to all for your input. After many attempts at sealing and water testing we decided to close the slide,tape if off and water test. Guess what after 10 minutes water was running out of L trim at bottom of slide into bedroom. Removed trim along side,was soaked. Along front of slide, soaked as well. Screws were rusty. Outside trim up front of slide was dry. Getting in around outside bottom trim. Have cleaned it up and letting it dry. My question is what should I seal with between the slide and trim and what chaulk do you suggest to seal around the trim. Thanks again for your help.
jaystar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:43 AM   #11
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
I would start checking out this site to help give you some ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/user/dicorcorp

Scott

scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote