Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2013, 03:26 AM   #1
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Chair storage area.

The dinning chairs have a storage area in them. We had pretty much the same chairs in our 06 3400 and over 7 years they held a lot of stuff with not a problem.

The chairs in this 13 3402 have the same storage area. We had cleaned out the 'stuff" when we got the 13 3402 and only had the RV instruction manuals and other warranty stuff in two of the chair storage areas.

Both bottoms failed on the trip down to Florida. The brads pulled out of the bottom. They seem to be the same brads that pulled out of two wall panels on the way down. We "gorilla taped them and just got around to the repair. We weighed the contents.3.8 lbs in one chair 2.9 lbs in the other. Apparently that is too much for the bottoms to bear.
Good news is that the two empty ones did not fail. Problem solution do not store anything in the storage areas. We drilled bigger holes and used screws to secure the bottoms.

It does appear that the bottom panel on the chairs were cut a bit to small and the brads were to close to the end of the panel. They are all that way.

Check your chair bottoms in the newer Montana's if they have not already failed.

richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:42 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Thanks for the warning Rich. I will definitely take a look and see if some additional bracing strips are needed. Without looking, it sounds like it may be advantageous to attach a horizontal strip to the inside bottom of the chairs to the sides with wood glue or similar and tack the bottom to this strip. I do know that like you, everything that was in the previous chair bottoms are in the current ones, so we will definitely evaluate.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:42 AM   #3
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Didn't like ours so they hit the garage sale before we had a chance to find out. I always thought we were wasting money. Guess we didn't waste as much as I thought.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:49 AM   #4
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
DW loves the storage area in the bottom of the chairs and we have always utilized the space in all of our models, if they need reinforced, I will do that. To each his own I guess, but I can remember both of us being impressed with the ingenuity of the feature when we were first looking at the 3400.
Bingo
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:51 AM   #5
Bigboomer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12333
Yep we have had the same problem....gorilla glued them and used small flat head screws to secure them....
Old 12-30-2013, 04:29 AM   #6
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Thanks for the heads up. I need to check ours as I know they are all full of "stuff".
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:54 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bncinwv

DW loves the storage area in the bottom of the chairs and we have always utilized the space in all of our models, if they need reinforced, I will do that. To each his own I guess, but I can remember both of us being impressed with the ingenuity of the feature when we were first looking at the 3400.
Bingo
It was a great feature. We had the space in all 5 chairs stuffed in the 06 3400 and they held for over 70K miles. In this one..... something changed.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:46 AM   #8
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
My 2006 must have used better fasteners. Stored mostly magazines and playing cards in ours and no problems yet. I wouldn't be surprised if they went cheaper with the hardware to make more profit. I hope nothing weighs more than a couple of pounds in them since when traveling and the lumps and bumps of the road can turn that into much heavier loads - 3 or 4 lbs turns into much more when bouncing around.

The worse thing that happened to a chair is the one at the desk got munched during a slide operation and my BIL didn't let up on the switch even as the crunching noise was heard. Splintered it like toothpicks. I should not have done the reset breaker modification, but oh well, I'd rather the slides not start/stop.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #9
Overlord
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11202
In my opinion, the chairs bottoms are designed to do that. That way, if someone puts anything in the storage part that sticks up too high and then someone sits in the chair, the bottom will give out instead of springing the hinges, or pulling out the hinge screws, or splitting the frame where the hinge is attached.

.......but, then again, maybe I'm giving them way too much credit, and it really is just because they are too damned cheap to use anything else besides a few puny staples to hold it all together!!!
Overlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 12:58 AM   #10
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
One of our 2010 chair bottms failed, brads pulled out . I use small wood screws to repair them all and had no further problem. Haven't done it to new one yet, but it's on my mod list.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2013, 02:53 AM   #11
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Overlord

In my opinion, the chairs bottoms are designed to do that. That way, if someone puts anything in the storage part that sticks up too high and then someone sits in the chair, the bottom will give out instead of springing the hinges, or pulling out the hinge screws, or splitting the frame where the hinge is attached.

.......but, then again, maybe I'm giving them way too much credit, and it really is just because they are too damned cheap to use anything else besides a few puny staples to hold it all together!!!
I like that rational. the holding tanks are designed to fail if we over fill them. Tires To fail if we put to much weight on them. wall panels to pop if we hit to many bumps in the road. Lights to fall off the ceiling if they vibrate to much. Frame designed to break if we are overweight. I like those warning systems...Smart those Keystone guys..
Old 12-31-2013, 12:10 PM   #12
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
Same problem--two of the chair bottoms started falling out not long after we got the rig. In one chair I had only 2 small, thin coloring books and a box of 48 crayons for the grandkids. The other chair had two decks of cards and a box of dominoes in it. The bottom panels of all 4 chairs appeared to be cut too small to fit the lower panels of the chairs; the brads put in to hold the panels in place were right on the edge of the panels, barely catching the chairs themselves. We fixed them with Gorilla Glue and small screws, although here and there the panels were too small to glue or screw them to anything.

I don't think we had either chair loaded too heavily. Poor workmanship seemed to be the culprit.

Carolyn
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2014, 02:03 AM   #13
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Carolyn... exactly the same problem here. See what I mean about problems. We never heard about chair problems but we mention we had a problem and others chime in they had the same problem. Does keystone know, probably not. How can they fix a problem if they do not know it is broke. Let keystone know about the problem and all problems no matter how small.
Old 01-01-2014, 03:32 AM   #14
TAKPAK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8238
In our new 37 and a 1/4, we don't need to worry (much).....only two of the chairs have storage. The other two are "folding" chairs. But, that creates new problems....how to unfold. For some reason, they wanted (and the design lent itself) to be stubborn. The salesman tried to demonstrate it, and wound up breaking the chair. So, he ordered a new one for us. Finally the service technician came out and showed us how to open it, but even HE had problems with it. Great design.....!!! Of course, the bottoms won't fall out....they don't have any!
2015 GMC Sierra 4X4 3500 SRW
TAKPAK is offline   Reply With Quote