Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2012, 07:29 AM   #1
Rob Walters
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12154
Dryer Vent Hole

I want to put a W/D combo in my 2008 3400RL. I don't know where to put the vent hole. I called Keystone and spoke with customer service. Other than telling me there "Should" be a sticker that identifies the correct location, (which there is NOT) they were ZERO help in this matter. They did tell me to be careful and not drill into electrical wires or studs.
So my question is....does anyone have this information? I need measurements etc. Thanks in advance.

Rob Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:12 AM   #2
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
We don't have the rig now, but here is a photo that shows the location of the dryer vent from the outside of our 2007 3400. This will give you the location with reference to the open door anyway, I think the specs for the vent require it to be level to slightly lower than the vent location on the unit itself to help prevent lint buildup. It appears from the picture that the vent is pretty much vertical above the front door holder. I don't believe there is any wiring in that portion of the wall, but you do have to avoid the studs. The location of the studs can usually be plainly seen when the morning dew is on the rig.

Hope this is clear enough:

Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #3
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
On MINE, there was nothing in the wall, I would use a stud detector to double check, but I think you will be OK.
Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:30 AM   #4
Rob Walters
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12154
Thanks. I think the picture will be very helpful. it's a pity the manufacture doesn't have this information readily available. If anyone else has information, I would greatly appreciate it. The more information I have the better I'm gonna feel about boring holes in the side of my unit.
Rob Walters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
From what I remember when we traded the 3400 in, the location of the vent hole on the inside of the closet was only about an inch away from the rear wall (the washer and dryer fit pretty snug). You can also measure the depth of your combo unit and use that for the distance from the inside of the closet door frame so you can see what the clearance will be between the unit and the rear wall. Then, you should be able to spot the hole accordingly on the inside, measure on the outside with relation to the door and you should be good to go.
Bingo
Old 03-02-2012, 01:51 PM   #6
Devildog
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4958
On the 3295, vent hole is about 2 inches from floor and 1 inch from back wall. Drilled a small pilot hole inside to check for stjdes, then drilled full hole from inside before i penetrated outside fiberglass. Figured inside is easier to repair or hide than outside. This was for the splendide combo unit.
Devildog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 10:22 PM   #7
Bill-N-Donna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7110

I met a factory rep once at a rally and he indicated to me that the wall where the washer/dryer will go is made without studs or wiring. I took it to mean on all models. We did have a sticker on our first one that he looked at. I believe you’ll be ok if it was prepped for a washer/dryer and you stay in that area.

As previously mentioned you can check the outside after the dew has settled on it and look at an angle and see where the studs are at.

Once you know where you want the vent; you can drill a very small pilot hole from the inside being careful not to go all the way through. You might even want to make 2-3 small pilot holes (in the area for the vent) checking for studs. You might also use a small stud finder (metal detector) to check for wires as well. Once you feel certain that there are not any studs or wires then you can get out the big drill bit. It’s always antsy when you drill through the side of the Monty. I’ve done it twice now without any problems.

Old 03-04-2012, 02:05 AM   #8
Mudchief
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4961
In our 07 model there is nothing in that wall. I installed a vent with no problem.
1200 watts of Solar
Mudchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:16 AM   #9
kjansen
Established Member

M.O.C. #11522
Boy, Bingo, if I did it just like yours I'd be on the wrong side of the camper.
kjansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 02:27 AM   #10
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
kjansen,
The OP specifically stated a 3400RL. The picture I provided was of a 3400RL, albeit a year earlier model. In the response to the question, I explained this, but the information and the picture provided was relevant to his question. If the question would have been directed towards a different model, I would not have provided the picture, since it would not be relevant to his inquiry. Now granted there may be readers of the thread with other models, but that is exactly why it helps to be specific with information requests (year and model number in title, post, or signature) so that irrelevant answers are somewhat minimized. A different thread can always be started for model specific information that they may need. This also helps on the use of the search function in the future. I trust your response was tongue-in-cheek.
Bingo
Old 03-04-2012, 03:22 PM   #11
kjansen
Established Member

M.O.C. #11522
Bingo,
It was tongue in cheek. Sorry if it was taken wrong.
kjansen is offline   Reply With Quote