Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-18-2010, 05:54 PM   #1
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Slide alignment

We had a very loud "squeeling" sound coming from our curb side(living room) slide when we opened and closed it. We tried lubing with the CRC recommended by Lippert w/o any luck so took it in to the dealer. We thought it was an alignment problem but the dealer said no and found another area to lube after removing the covering underneath. The squeeling stopped but we noticed another problem.

When closed, the lower rear of the slide has a 1" gap while the top is closed. When we look at the other slides they are uniformly closed with a small section of the rubber strip exposed. When looking at the top rear of the problem slide the rubber is not visible because the slide is totally against the exterior wall.

I called the dealer and am still waiting for a response. Is there an adjustment that I can make to straighten out the rear of the slide or is it best left to the dealer? I will be in Goshen next week to have upgrades done by MorRyde and the Lippert leveling system at Trailair. Would it be best to try and take it in to Keystone?

Thanks

c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
jliveit
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10624
If you go to Liperts web site they have in pdf format how to adjust the slides, had to do the same on our old unit and not hard at all.
jliveit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 04:57 AM   #3
8e3k0
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9261
With time and patience it can be done, but one has to be careful you do not overload the cylinder at each end of its travel. The manual gives a relatively good description and notes that you must have 1.5 to 1.75 inches ( may be more as I am working from memory) of free travel between the adjusting nuts on the outward end of the hydraulic cylinder. Then there is the actual vertical and horizontal adjustments at each end of the slide rails that actually carry the slide in and out. What ever you do make one adjustment at a time and move the slide in and out to note its in setting and out setting. (Small adjustments work best).
On our 3400RL the living room slide is not square or simply has not been built with a jig. One end is wider than the other by about 3/8 of an inch. Very difficult to set the in and out travel to have the slide sealed when in and sealed when out on both sides!!
Hope you can solve your problems more easily than the time it took me to arrive at final adjustments.
8e3k0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:06 AM   #4
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
I just printed the instructions from LPI site and it looks easy enough for even me to follow. With that said I will prbably have my son help as 4 eyes are better than 2. Besides, he's not as old and fat as me.

FYI to all the LPI support section has tons of print outs for almost everything related to Lippert including the new Level Up system that we are having installed next week.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote