Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-12-2010, 03:32 AM   #1
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Water heater elect. element ?

Are the hot water heater elec. elements the same in RV water heaters ?

My trailer's hot water heater elect. element failed this past weekend and I did not have a socket to remove the element. I had a spare Camco brand generic electric element that says it fits most model water heaters but of course could not install it yet. ( I am not near my trailer )

G McCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:34 AM   #2
awaywego
Montana Master

M.O.C. #40
You need to know the wattage and if it is a 120 volt. The wattage is stamped on the end usually.If they are the same(or very close) it should work.
If you need to buy one you can get one that will fit at Lowe"s or Home Depot for a lot less than Camping supplies.
Hope this helps.
awaywego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:28 AM   #3
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
You mentioned "socket", but my heater element cover is held on with socketed screws (probably 1/4") that have a slot on them and should only need a slotted screwdriver (unless they are too tight, then a socket is preferred). Is this what you mean? I hope you do not mean the 1-1/4" socketed drain. I've never opened my element cover so I can't help you past that.

There is a chance the element would fit, but it's best to know for sure. Since the heating element is not critical for the water heater (you can use propane in the interim), on your next visit to the trailer you should try to find out the make/model/capacity of your water heater or check the owner's manual. Then cross reference what it needs with what you have.

Hopefully it's only me but I always seem to have that "one-off" that does not fit that part that says "fits most", and you surely don't want to have a problem when heat is involved. Besides the rating, there may also be a fit concern. Fortunately in this case, I think you have a better chance it would work, than not.

Please, let us know how it goes.
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:18 AM   #4
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Art-n-Marge.....

no I am not referring to the water heater drain ...I have removed that before.
I removed the 3 screws from the element cover and pried the cover off to check the element voltage. I did not have a socket ( I measured 1-1/2") at my country to remove the element. I also did not have an ohm meter with me but the element was getting AC voltage to it.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:39 AM   #5
JimF
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6260
Send a message via ICQ to JimF Send a message via AIM to JimF Send a message via Yahoo to JimF
Did this, my element was a 1450 watt, can be bought at Depot or Lowes. Be sure to get the correct watt, they sell 2200 watt for home use but the do have the lower wattage one. Easy fix, 1 1/2 sounds about right, can't remember the size exactly but I had the socket that fit. Actually the correct wattage is listed in the WH manual and also on the data plate. It is a standard size.
JimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 09:55 AM   #6
Exnavydiver
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7753
Send a message via AIM to Exnavydiver Send a message via MSN to Exnavydiver Send a message via Yahoo to Exnavydiver
You will probably find that the cost of a good 1 1/2 inch socket will exceed the cost of the heating element, but then you can reuse the socket if another element fails... Dave
Exnavydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 10:13 AM   #7
Art-n-Marge
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9257
Send a message via MSN to Art-n-Marge Send a message via Yahoo to Art-n-Marge
Thanks for the explanation, and I went out to my rig for a look-see. That is a big socket needed for the element alright! But on my Suburban water heater the propane tubes are in the way. I located the CAMCO socket which is about $8 and while you already have an element I found many ratings and other sized of the Camco element so good luck that your replacement would work. It might also be tricky getting a 1/2" drive to the socket getting past propane lines.

EDITED for clarification....
Art-n-Marge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 02:57 PM   #8
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
It will be a 1 1/2" socket needed to remove the heating element for a RV water heater. No need to guess anymore I've changed them on both brands with a 1 1/2" socket.
Hugh
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 04:48 PM   #9
scductman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7270
I also just had to change mine. 1 1/2 socket I got one for the water heater element along with a extra element. only takes 5 mins to burn it up with no water I know this. mine had a 1440 watt replaced with a 1500w. now have a extra and socket just in case.
scductman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 01:48 PM   #10
1Happycamper
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6880
As scductman said, the element is a 1440 watt and can be replaced with a 1500 watt element. I had to change mine in Florida also and am glad it happened there. Lowes was $9.99 and back home in Canada they want $36.99.
Bill
1Happycamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:33 AM   #11
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Okay.......
I purchased the 1500 watt - 120 volt hot water heater element with a 1-1/2" element wrench from Lowes and hope to install it this weekend.
Thanks for the replys
Old 04-19-2010, 11:47 AM   #12
G McCall
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5206
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by G McCall

Okay.......
I purchased the 1500 watt - 120 volt hot water heater element with a 1-1/2" element wrench from Lowes and hope to install it this weekend.
Thanks for the replys
The install went well.

The 1-1/2" wtr. htr. wrench from Lowes worked and I installed the Camco electric element I had previously purchased for a spare. The Camco element (1500watt - 120V) was the same length as the original element on my Suburban model no. SW 10DE water heater. The Lowes element I bought may have worked although it was a little longer than the original.