Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
water dripping

Just spent 2 weeks in Topsail SP FL. It vas VERY HOT. Our ac ran the entire time, and all was well for the first 4-5 days. I stepped in a wet spot on my steps going to the BR. Checked it out and found it coming from the light fixture above the steps. So i removed the fixture and it was wet above the ceiling. This drip continued for the rest on our stay, but not too bad.
I also had a slight drip out of a fixture out the recliners in the back, off and on. A little background, we were not running in and out ( at the beach everyday) we didn't cook inside at all. We blocked the sun with reflective material and insulated the vents. When we showered we ran the exhaust fan, dried the shower and remover the wet towels. I can hear the dealer now, well it was very hot and humid. I'm I doing something wrong?

HELP, kevin

swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:15 PM   #2
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
Make sure the fan is set on high speed. Check the drain holes on the AC also.
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:23 PM   #3
HughM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7219
Is water running off the roof of your Montana. That would tell you water is being taken out of the inside air and your A/C is working. If its not running off the roof then there is a problem.
HughM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2009, 04:43 PM   #4
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
The ac was on high fan. The water was dripping off the back. The water from the ac couldn't have made it to the fixture over the steps. (up hill). This was probably condensation from the ac duct work. everything seemed to be working fine.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:22 AM   #5
druryg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7984
Swanny,

I was at topsail at the same time and saw you roll in (sorry we did not get to introduce ourselves). I had the same issue as you noticed. We have both units on our 3000RK as delivered from the factory and only my rear unit condensated. I would only run the rear unit at night so it would be more quite in the bedroom. In the morning there would be a lot of condensation on the exterior of the Monty and we noticed a couple of drips below the grill on the rear AC. Water was pouring off both ends of the roof the entire week. I had my controls set to automatic and thought maybe I should have left the fan setting on high/continuous and just let the compressor cycle as needed. Sounds like that’s how you were running yours and you still had the problem. Do you have the Double Pane windows? How cold were you setting the thermostat? The drips were not much maybe 10 all week but when we shut down to leave we noticed a lot of water at the roof seam just behind the rear units grill. At least a half a cup!
druryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 05:53 AM   #6
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
We're in high humidity all the time. The rear AC unit runs most all day. We have the front unit(non ducted), but only run it at night. We have had condensation on the plastic grill covering the inside of the AC, but never any elsewhere. I'm wondering if you may have a bad duct, that is blowing out in the ceiling, perhaps causing condensation on one of the metal joists. I just can't see the insulated duct having condensate on it. JMHO
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 12:25 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have never had a freezing, dripping, moisture or any kind of condensation issue We have always set the A/C on auto and we do run the overhead fan on low setting in the 3400. We do leave a overhead vent cracked to vent hot air. We have had brutal heat and humidity days with never a problem????? Can't tell you why we have never had a problem???
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 02:46 PM   #8
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
Well SlickWillie that's exactly what I thought. As I said It didn't happen until about 4/5 day into our stay. But once it started it didn't stop. Now I can see discoloring across my ceiling at the joist closest to the the light were the water was coming from. I didn't have any condensation at the AC grill. I also kept the filter clean. Vacuumed it every couple days. Dealer here I come.
Old 06-27-2009, 02:48 PM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I have no idea what's causing the problem, Kevin, but I might throw out a longshot that's not hard to check. There are a couple of attic vents on the roof to vent moisture. Any chance one or more are missing their caps? These are not the tank vents but are attic vents.

Good luck. I hope you find the cause.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2009, 11:55 PM   #10
swanny
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8816
thanks sreigle, that's the only thing i didn't check.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:42 AM   #11
druryg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7984
Just came back from bringing the clean laundry to the Monty and looked around to see if any staining happened. No stains but I noticed the foil tape used to seal the control wiring on the door side to the rear unit was unstuck from the framing leaving a 2 inch hole open to the attic. The tape sealing the 110vac wire on the ods side was still in place and sealed good. All the condensation on the exterior was only on the door side walls near the rear. Wonder if this is was my problem. Will seal the hole and hope for the best.
druryg is offline   Reply With Quote