Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-26-2007, 03:40 PM   #1
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Slide Tops Drooping?

When I was washing my roof a few weeks ago I noticed all of the water on top of my large slide roof was puddling up in the center of the slide.

Has anyone else noticed this on their rig?
Should I be asking the dealer what in the He** is going on here?

I am not a fan of washing the roof and only do it a couple times a year but it really looks like the factory tape on the slides is starting to get worn and now the puddling. I hope the slide roof isn't collapsing on my large slide.

TIA
Phil

Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 04:53 PM   #2
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
The living room slide roof on our 3075 was sagging enough that the seal was not touching the roof. It was repaired under warranty by our dealer and it has been fine for 6 months. I am not sure how it was repaired, but if it sags again I will probably repair it myself.

Sorry for the wrong reply. I guess I forgot what the subject was after I a clicked on your thread.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 07:29 PM   #3
lwcdg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4726
Phil I can't say if mine would or not as I have toppers. I did this as preventative for water problems and it has served me well so far.
chuck
lwcdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 02:53 AM   #4
levietta
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7537
My wife and I had an recently had an extended camping trip into New Brunswick, Canada. We parked in a friends yard. The topper over the larger slide did collect water every time it rained. In the process, it stretched the fabric, pooling the water in the center. When the wind rose, the edges of the fabric flapped in the breeze. At one point the rain and wind was so heavy that we pulled the slide in, and let the water roll off. The next day we pushed the slide back out, and the topper seemed tight again. When we bring the rig in for service, we are going to complain to our dealer and see "what's up."
levietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 03:21 AM   #5
capn chris
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2586
Send a message via AIM to capn chris Send a message via Yahoo to capn chris
Unfortunately, I think you'll find that pooling on the large slide topper is a fact of life. Some folks use pool noodles or balls to take the sag out, while others like us just get used to it and stand back when the slides come in to avoid a shower!! Good luck.
capn chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 04:59 AM   #6
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
He is saying that the water is pooling on the SLIDE ROOF apparently he does not have toppers. Pooling on the large slide topper is a normal thing as it gives with the weight of the water. Pooling on the SLIDE is not normal. Several of us have had the problem of a unlevel or sagging large slide roof , including us, there is a fix and mine was done at the service center by re-enforcing the roof line of the large slide in our 3400. I would start with a call to the service center and see what they say...A extended warranty would be a nice thing to have now..
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 05:36 AM   #7
Okie Guy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6054
Rich you hit the nail on the head. I do NOT have slide toppers. Thank goodness I DO have an extended warranty.
Thanks
Phil
Okie Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 06:46 AM   #8
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Phil,
When I washed mine last week, I noticed the same problem. I also noticed the rubber seal is about 1/8 inch away from the slide roof in the center. When I finished washing the rig, I went inside to eyeball the wood across the top of the slide to see if it was straight(it's not), and discovered a nice puddle of water on the carpet in front of the couch. I don't know yet if I will have it repaired under warranty, or do it myself this winter when I have nothing else to do.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 04:46 AM   #9
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
Has anyone else noticed this on their rig?
Should I be asking the dealer what in the He** is going on here?
----------------------

We don't miss that ongoing maintenance of the Montana.

We are happy in our retirement home but now notice shrinking woodwork joints, dog scratches on the hardwood etc ...

Such is Life. That picture below by LonnieB of the new Montana and the mighty power stroke Ford makes us miss our "home away from home" and all that exists just over the horizon along the open road.

Blessed and Merry Christmas to all.

"Thence we run along a random line...."

Okie girl and Old Hiway man

Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 05:59 AM   #10
bsmeaton
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6109
It's a relatively easy fix and the method has been posted here by a few folks. Nowhere near the cost of an extended warranty.

It involves removing the interior facia and installing a steel plate behind it.
bsmeaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 09:04 AM   #11
ols1932
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1944
Ours is a 2000 and we haven't noticed any sagging like you have mentioned. We don't have slide toppers either. I keep wondering if the newer models are coming out of the factory faster than when we bought ours, thus rushing the finished product out the door. I've had some problems but not like this.

Orv
ols1932 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:07 AM   #12
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
When at the factory in April they pulled our maim slide out of the camper and re enforced it. I did not see the entire process but it involved a metal rod, 2X4 and all new wood surround.. It seemed like a involved process but I guess if you were handy you could do it your self. We have the toppers so it did not leak but after teading about the sag on the forum I ran a level along the top and it was way out of level They did the repair without question.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2008, 03:36 PM   #13
fla hobo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #166
we have the same problem on the slide roof above the couch and dining room table. i will be taking it in under warranty to get it fixed when we leave fla. so far i haven't noticed any leaks from it.
fla hobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 08:26 AM   #14
Dean A Van Peursem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5583
We had a severe sag in our Super Slide, which was noticed on the initial inspection. After several attempts at repair, on the 4th time not only was the angle iron added, and a steel plate added, in addition the stiffening laminated beam behind the fascia was replaced by a 1 x 6 x 12' oak board. This finally solved the problem. Took almost a year and a half and 4 trips to the dealer but Montana did stand behind all the costs of repair even after our 1 year warranty had expired. It is a 4 hour round trip to our dealer so our repeated dealer trips costs were extensive. However, multiple other warranty issue were corrected at the same time. We had more than our fair share of warranty issues. Our unit is now out of warranty and the number of issues has diminished significantly. The most recent issue was a water leak from the shower that looks like I have been able to fix myself.
Dean A Van Peursem is offline   Reply With Quote