Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 10-20-2007, 03:58 AM   #1
tgrucelski
Established Member

M.O.C. #7552
Another black tank leak

Greetings all,

It would appear I have a black water tank leak on our '08 3400. Noticed water leaking (the stinky stuff) last weekend from the sheet metal edge where it meets the underbelly cover, in the area of the black water dump valve. Noted that the tank was full to the point of seeing water in the toilet pipe. Dumped the tank and the drip stopped.

Ran a test again last night - let the toilet fill to where I could see water in the toilet pipe and sure enough about 10 minutes later it's again dripping from the same area. Had a look underneath and was entertaining the idea of taking out the lag screw holding the two sections of underbelly together in the center and just aft of where the sewer pipe comes through to see what I would find. Then I realized I was hearing a pretty steady drip in the same spot, faint odor and flies congregating in the area so I decided to leave well enough alone for the night and seek some advice here.

I'm guessing a good part of the underbelly has been contaminated and it just so happened the low point is near the dump valve - if you've ever looked at these they are fairly warped where they are not being held by the lag bolts or screws, probably a crap shoot (literally) as to where the low point could have been.

Question 1) Who should I call first given that the unit is only 2 months old? Dealer or Keystone cust. service? I live in Wisconsin, bought the unit in Indiana and am in Fort Pierce, FL at the moment working at the St. Lucie Nuclear Plant.

Question 2) Can I reasonably expect someone to come to the site I am at to repair or will I be told to take it to the nearest dealer? Currently on a 6 day/ 12 hour shift schedule so I don't have time to deal with the latter.

Question 3) I am guessing the leak has to be where the pipe penetrates the tank. Does it enter into the top or is there an elbow into the side? Will it require the tank to be dropped to repair?

Question 4) What kind of effort should I insist on to disinfect the affected areas?

Question 5) Regarding the underbelly, from what I can see, there appears to be a thin layer of insulation. If this is the case, it's now contaminated and holding water - not a good situation. Can I reasonably expect this to be replaced?

In the meantime I guess the solution is not to let the tank get too full but if there's a leak it means it's also venting gas from what is supposed to be closed system. NOT a Happy Camper.

Thanks in advance for any advice, this forum has been an excellent source of information.

Regards,

Todd Grucelski

tgrucelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 11:57 AM   #2
mobrownies
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #886
1) I think I would start with the nearest dealer, then my dealer if that doesn't work.
2) I don't think they will make a house call, but it won't hurt to ask.
3) I think it will be a top entry and a side discharge. There has been some problems noted on this site about pipes cracking between the tank and the discharge valve, so that is where I would look first. Do you only notice the leak when the tank is nearly full? If so, you might try dumping more often to get you by until they fix it.
4) I would be tempted to spray it all down with bleach water. Let it stand for a couple of hours and then rinse.
5) The fiberglass insulation should be above the tank. You may have a layer of foil covered bubble wrap below the tank. The bubble wrap should not absorb water, so I would think that it could be disinfected.

As for the venting of gas, it is not a sealed system and vents gas out the top of the trailer under normal conditions.

Hope you have good luck getting it fixed to your satisfaction.
mobrownies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2007, 02:45 PM   #3
8.1al
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1658
Todd,
I have a gey water tank that does the same thing, it leaks where the inlet pipe or vent pipe enters the top of the tank so I just don't overfill it. Your tank is below the fiberglass insulation so that is no concern, the only thing contaminated is the Astrofoil just above your plastic underbelly. Maybe you could overfill the tank with a bleach solution
8.1al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:37 PM   #4
SGB

M.O.C. #7824
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM WITH MY GREAY WATER TANKS IN A 3650 RK THE TANK IS RIGHT UNDER THE SHOWER AND THE SEAL AT THE BOTTOM OF THE TANK CRACKED AND WE HAD GREY WATER IN OUR LIVING ROOM FLOOR.
IF YOU HAVE ROAD SIDE ASSITANCE INSURANCE IT WILL HELP.
THE CONECTOR VALVE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE TANK HAS TO BE RESEALED. THE RIG GOES IN ON TUESDAY TO BE SURVICED.
TO GET TO THAT AREA IN THIS MODEL YOU HAVE TO TAKE THE STAIRS OUT TO GET TO THE TANK.
CHECK YOU FACTORY DIAGRAMS BECAUSE THE TANKS ARE LOCATED IN DIFFERENT PLACES IN DIFFERENT YEAR MODELS.
THE TECHS WILL TAKE ABOUT 2 DAYS TO FIX THIS PROBLEM BUT I CAN FIX THIS ONE IN LESS THAN 2 HOUR ONLY BECAUSE I KNOW MY RV REALLY WELL.
HAVE FUN AND WE'LL SEE YOU ON THE ROAD SOME DSY.
SGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 03:59 PM   #5
carlson
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3268
DO NOT TAKE OUT ANY SCREW!!!!
Contact a local dealer.
Have them get the tank in first so they will have it there.
If you tank it in, they will pull the tank and then order the tank, you will be without it for probably two weeks.
I speak from a hard leason learned.
What happens with alot of the tanks is that when they get full and hang from the top they expand and open up a crack.
That is why it shows when the tanks are about full.
carlson is offline   Reply With Quote