Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
 

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-12-2022, 12:24 PM   #21
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master
 
Ram Montana High Country's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: POINTBLANK
Posts: 1,704
M.O.C. #19944
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint Venture II View Post
I noticed the tire that blew had a TPMS sensor mounted on it. Was there any indication on your monitor that the tire was low on air or high temperature?
I t was a road hazard failure. Been driving for several hours, just coming off a 7800' pass cruising a low 60's, heard the pop - looked in the mirror and saw debris flying then the tire alarm. A 1/4 of the tire was more gone. Think the front tire chucked something into rear ...
 
__________________
RAM 22' DRW 3500 Crew LB 40 gal reserve tank / RETRAX Bed Cover / 2020 373RD HC
MOPEKA Tank Monitor / Furrion Side&Rear Cameras
Slide Toppers / EMS-HW50C / Sailun 85's
3rd AC / Dometic 320
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 09:43 AM   #22
RamMike
Established Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Eldersburg
Posts: 28
M.O.C. #28289
Hi JV2, The tire was running 100#s at the time of the blow out and was right around 100 degrees. I saw the tire blow in my side mirror, then the TPMS alarmed... like a couple seconds after. Thankfully it didnt mess up the sensor and was able to use on my spare the rest of the way home.
__________________

Mike & Lisa Dennis
2021 Montana High Country 295RL 50 amp Prog. Ind. surge protector
2021 Ram Hemi 4X4 CC TST 507 RockTamers Garmin RV780 GPS
RamMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 12:44 PM   #23
432bartman
Montana Master
 
432bartman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2020
Location: UPLAND
Posts: 1,049
M.O.C. #26190
Sorry to hear about the tire going.......the worst part is the damage caused to the trailer when they do grenade. I had that happen to another trailer I owned, which caused $3,500.00 in damage. As for impact guns, I'd be careful with breaking lug-nuts loose with them. The guys at American Tire broke two studs on my diesel truck, by using an impact gun. They left me with fixing it myself. I no longer let anyone do my tire rotations.
__________________
2019 Keystone Montana 3560RL, 2020 Chevy 2500 HD, Firestone airbags, Air Lift wireless compressor, Curt gooseneck, 20K Reese Goosebox, TST-507, USMC combat vet & retired LEO. Robert, Anika, Breanna, Dylan & our Great Pyrenees Layla
432bartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 09:57 AM   #24
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: LYNDEN
Posts: 199
M.O.C. #30751
As much as I hate to say it, I have now joined this "club" and had the DS rear tire blow out and the resulting tire tore off the TPMS sensor of the front tire too so it lost air pressure from the valve stem being broken off. When I purchased the TPMS system and had steel valve stems installed in the factory wheels it put the sensors outside the wheels due to the valve stems being pointed outward. Being I need two spares I decided to call Les schwab Tire in Everett as they were only 6 miles from me. Told them I needed 4 new tires and road service on two of them. They offered me a set of 10 ply Tow Max tires but after having a Tow Max tire blow out I turned them down. They then said I could go with the Sailun LRG/14PLY Tires and I decided I would go that route.

Interesting that I recently installed the TST 507 TPMS system and being the first trip out with it operational I was watching the monitor pretty often. Just before the blowout I saw 85-88psi and 92*-96*F temps on the trailer tires. We had been cruising at 62-65mph for previous 2 hours with a stop at a rest stop just 20 minutes before the Power King Towmax ST 235/85R16 blew out and did a lot of damage to sheet metel and plastic wheel well trim as well. Feel better about now running Sailun S637T ST235/85R16 G/14PLY Tires @ 90PSI.

Side note: Les Schwab service was beyond exceptional, from the time I blew out tire (11:45am), service truck with two men arrived ( 12:20pm) changed two tires along side the road ( 25 minutes} and I followed them to their shop for two more tires installed (30 minutes) till I was back on the road at 2:15pm. Cost $1617.33.
__________________
2005 Keystone Montana 2955RL, MORryde Rubber Pin Box, Sailun 14PLY tires, TST 507 TPMS & Starlink RV.
1999 F350 SC LWB DRW 4WD V10 ZF6 4.30's, 90 gallon aux fuel tank. 6 years US Navy
Joint Venture II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 11:08 AM   #25
BB_TX
Montana Master
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: McKinney
Posts: 6,586
M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint Venture II View Post
………

Interesting that I recently installed the TST 507 TPMS system and being the first trip out with it operational I was watching the monitor pretty often. Just before the blowout I saw 85-88psi and 92*-96*F temps on the trailer tires. We had been cruising at 62-65mph for previous 2 hours with a stop at a rest stop just 20 minutes before the Power King Towmax ST 235/85R16 blew out and did a lot of damage to sheet metel and plastic wheel well trim as well. Feel better about now running Sailun S637T ST235/85R16 G/14PLY Tires @ 90PSI.
…..
It happens. I have long been a Michelin fan and have had them on my trucks, SUVs, and cars for hundreds of thousands of miles, and even had them on my lighter weight Monte. Never a failure on any and rarely even a low tire. Until about 5 years ago. Running 70 mph on busy urban interstate not towing and suddenly the right rear tire on my truck exploded. Significant damage to rear fender and tail pipe. Truck display did not show low tire. Don’t know if road debris or faulty tire, but there is always a lot of junk on those highways in or near the city with all the construction trucks.
__________________
Bill & Patricia
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 05:30 PM   #26
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: LYNDEN
Posts: 199
M.O.C. #30751
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
I have long been a Michelin fan and have had them on my trucks, SUVs, and cars for hundreds of thousands of miles. Never a failure on any and rarely even a low tire.
I just bought 6 new Michelins for the truck and wished now I had bought 4 more for the Monty. Like you I have had very good service from a Michelin and generally are my 1st choice if the size is available.
__________________
2005 Keystone Montana 2955RL, MORryde Rubber Pin Box, Sailun 14PLY tires, TST 507 TPMS & Starlink RV.
1999 F350 SC LWB DRW 4WD V10 ZF6 4.30's, 90 gallon aux fuel tank. 6 years US Navy
Joint Venture II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 08:32 AM   #27
Cat320
Montana Master
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location:
Posts: 1,581
M.O.C. #5751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joint Venture II View Post
I just bought 6 new Michelins for the truck and wished now I had bought 4 more for the Monty. Like you I have had very good service from a Michelin and generally are my 1st choice if the size is available.
Michelins are fine for smaller tires. They have a terrible reputation for big truck/motor home tires (22.5"). There are many examples on various forums of side wall cracking on low mileage/young tires.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 11:28 AM   #28
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: LYNDEN
Posts: 199
M.O.C. #30751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Michelins are fine for smaller tires. They have a terrible reputation for big truck/motor home tires (22.5"). There are many examples on various forums of side wall cracking on low mileage/young tires.
Probably pretty safe with the truck's 265/75R16's then. Last set of 235's went 35k miles and had almost 50% of tread left but they were 7 years old and I felt for this long 8k mile trip I would be better off with a new set.
__________________
2005 Keystone Montana 2955RL, MORryde Rubber Pin Box, Sailun 14PLY tires, TST 507 TPMS & Starlink RV.
1999 F350 SC LWB DRW 4WD V10 ZF6 4.30's, 90 gallon aux fuel tank. 6 years US Navy
Joint Venture II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 04:31 PM   #29
TBow1955
New Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Lizton
Posts: 9
M.O.C. #29306
We have a 2021 295RL also and had a blow out on a State Highway in June. Tore up the molded wheel well cover, some under belly destruction and our tire looked about like yours. Needless to say the noise scared us to death also. Funny we purchased a tire sensor at the last Montana Rally and it did not show a problem with the tire before it blew. We decided to change out all the tires and went with Salium tires..very happy with their performance. Affinity RV repair in Elkhart completed our repair to the wheel well and underbelly....we can't say enough good things about them.
TBow1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 04:51 PM   #30
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Location: LYNDEN
Posts: 199
M.O.C. #30751
Quote:
Originally Posted by TBow1955 View Post
We have a 2021 295RL also and had a blow out on a State Highway in June. Tore up the molded wheel well cover, some under belly destruction and our tire looked about like yours. Needless to say the noise scared us to death also. Funny we purchased a tire sensor at the last Montana Rally and it did not show a problem with the tire before it blew. We decided to change out all the tires and went with Salium tires..very happy with their performance. Affinity RV repair in Elkhart completed our repair to the wheel well and underbelly....we can't say enough good things about them.
Like yours, the blown tire tore up the wheel well pretty good. Everything above the tire looks pretty good but the mold wheel well exterior cover and sheet metal on the slide was destroyed and has been cut off. I'll be in Ohio for a month and hoping to find an RV repair shop that can order the needed parts and complete the repairs while I'm there.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Blowntire1.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	12724   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blowntire2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	12725   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blowntire3.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	12726   Click image for larger version

Name:	Blowntire4.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	12727  
__________________
2005 Keystone Montana 2955RL, MORryde Rubber Pin Box, Sailun 14PLY tires, TST 507 TPMS & Starlink RV.
1999 F350 SC LWB DRW 4WD V10 ZF6 4.30's, 90 gallon aux fuel tank. 6 years US Navy
Joint Venture II is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3
Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Montana RV, Keystone RV Company or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:18 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.