Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 04-17-2006, 07:34 AM   #1
one_strange_texan
Established Member

M.O.C. #3989
Battery/Converter in 3295RK

I need some troubleshooting help.

My battery appears to be in good shape (all cells have water, good voltage on a voltmeter), but will not power the 12 volt system when unplugged from shore power or the towing vehicle. All connections around it in the front compartment look good.

I called the dealer and did not get a lot of help. He suggested the converter might have gone out. I should know this, but where is the converter located in a 2005 3295RK? I vaguely remember seeing it in the walk through 10 months ago.

Also - any breakers, fuses, links, or GFI's in the circuit I should check?

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

one_strange_texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 04:33 AM   #2
lightningjack11
Montana Master

M.O.C. #59
There is a inline fuse in my battery line in the battery compartment. If you have one make sure it is good.

I am not sure what they are called but the battery cables go to little connection blocks in the batttery compartment. Make sure there is voltage on both sides of the blocks. I have heard of cases where they have opened up.
lightningjack11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2006, 05:48 PM   #3
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
OST,
The converter in our 3295RK is located right at the door. It is behind the fold down door. And I suspect your converter may, indeed, have quit working. All your 12 volt system should work for a few days even with no shore or TV power. There may be a fuse on it or a reset button.... I'll look next time I go out to trailer. But I'll bet you got a bad converter.

HamRad
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 04:18 PM   #4
one_strange_texan
Established Member

M.O.C. #3989
Update on 3295RK 12V system problem:

After doing some more trouble-shooting which even involved disconnecting, removing, and reinstalling the battery, the system seems to function now off the battery just fine. I'm chalking it up to either dirty/corroded contacts at the battery (though they are less than a year old and didn't look bad) or an intermittent converter problem.

I still would like to know where my converter is. I think it depends on the day they build the unit.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:08 PM   #5
jimc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #380
Hi George -

I have the 2006 3295RK - I looked up the floor plans of the 2005 on the Keystone site, and I believe they are the same. As you come in the door, the washer/dryer closet is immediately to the right. If that is the case with your 3295, then the converter is located in the overhead above the closet. Look up and see if you see a round vent - that is for the converter. To get at the converter, you have to go into the bathroom and remove both circuit breaker and fuse panels, and then you'll see the converter. You can actually get to it and remove it fairly easily. I removed mine yesterday to replace it since it failed.
jimc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:41 PM   #6
one_strange_texan
Established Member

M.O.C. #3989
Thanks, Jim, that is just what I needed.

I hope you are enjoying your 3295RK as much as we are enjoying ours!