Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2005, 01:00 PM   #1
Montana_1750
Established Member

M.O.C. #1750
Insurance for our 5er

I thought i would post this message to find a couple good Insurance
Companys that others use? and the cons and pros.
We are 6 months new to the Rving Thing and still learning
We had one Insurance company that turned out to be so bad
Are dealer turned us on to them
Any replys on good insurance company would be highly appreciate
Thank you

Montana_1750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 01:33 PM   #2
azstar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #740
FIREMECH,

First let me welcome you to the Forum. Wishing you many Happy Trails with you Montana.

We have been with GIECO for years now and are quite happy with them. They have our Car, Truck, Trailer and Motorcycle. Very good rates and the one time we needed them when our old TT got damaged they came through with no problem.

The main issue with them is, the great rates their famous for, are for drivers with squeeky clean records. If that's you, you may want to check them out.

Happy Camping,
azstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 01:39 PM   #3
Charlie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3029
I have used Allstate for many years. Twice I have had to make a claim, once on an awning and the other on the rubber roof. No questions asked, they covered and I was only out of pocket $100 each time. Welcome to the MOC forum, lots of help here for most any question you might have.
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2005, 02:17 PM   #4
Montana_1750
Established Member

M.O.C. #1750
do they include replacement cost?
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by FireMech

I thought i would post this message to find a couple good Insurance
Companys that others use? and the cons and pros.
We are 6 months new to the Rving Thing and still learning
We had one Insurance company that turned out to be so bad
Are dealer turned us on to them
Any replys on good insurance company would be highly appreciate
Thank you
Old 02-19-2005, 03:03 PM   #5
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
I have State Farm, and have had all my trailers insured by them, no hasel. 300.00 per year and 250.00 dedutable, I did go to Good Sam for the towing package that is the best I have ever seen.

TT2
Old 02-19-2005, 04:05 PM   #6
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
We have our unit insured with USAA along with our truck, car, and vacation home. Fortunately, have never had a claim for the Montana. We have been very happy with USAA's handling of claims on cars etc for over 20 years.
Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 05:43 AM   #7
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We have the truck with Progressive and the Montana plus fulltimers insurance with National Interstate. Progressive also offers trailer and fulltimers insurance, but, you've seen their add that sometimes they're not the lowest? That's why our agent put us with NI. I'm sure at other times/situations Progressive might be lower. There are several good companies out there, these just happen to be the ones that best met our needs, including price. On the trailer we have the disappearing deductible (when no claims) and full-value replacement if totaled within the first five years. That's on the trailer.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 06:45 AM   #8
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
We have the truck with Allstate. Like Steve, as fulltimers we needed a bit more than your standard RV insurance and the company we found to best suit our needs was Mendota. And we also have the disappearing deductible (when no claims) and full-value replacement if totaled within the first five years. We also have Personal Effects Coverage covering our personal property such as clothing, jewlery, cameras, pots, pans, dishes and etc. Emergency Expense Allowance covering hotel stays if your RV is damaged or destroyed.

FULL TIMER COVERAGE - It should be noted that full timers that have sold their homes and in so doing no longer have a home owners policy require different insurance than the average RVer. You need special coverages including higher liability limits. For example, for the average RVer, your home owners policy will cover you should a visitor fall and injure themselves while visiting you in your RV. As fulltimers without that home owners policy we must have this additional coverage to cover such events . Most insurance companies do not understand Full Timers' needs and will not write this coverage for you. So if you are full timing be sure you are protected.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 10:05 AM   #9
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Glenn made a really good point about the fulltimers insurance. That's exactly the reason we got it. I'd have to dig out the paperwork but it was really inexpensive.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:09 PM   #10
Montana_1750
Established Member

M.O.C. #1750
Well we are not full timers yet, But i will keep that i mind when we do. we work hard on trying to get our 5er out 1 or 2 a month if posible.
Does most insurance companys insure attachments like Mounted generators etc?
We really appreciate all the replys from everyone
Thanks again
Old 02-20-2005, 01:33 PM   #11
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
FireMech, I would check with your home owners insurance carrier as a lot of your possessions and liabilities in the RV will also be covered by your home owners.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2005, 01:57 PM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
What I found with those I checked is if the factory put it on there it's covered. If you had it installed later, you need to have it listed or ridered. I don't know if all companies are that way but I think I'd want it in writing just to make sure.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:09 AM   #13
Bill DeMeulle
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2740
I have been an Insurance Broker for 35 years and as you have seen their are a lot of different companies that offer RV insurance. My recommendation is to find a broker who specializes in RV coverages in your specific area that you trust and that will go to bat for you if you ever have a claim problem. The companies are only as good as the people who represent them, if you explain to your broker what and where you are going with your rig he/she will be able to tailor a program for your specific needs and coverages. I am retired now and don't sell insurance any longer.
Bill DeMeulle is offline   Reply With Quote