Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 07-08-2023, 04:06 PM   #1
John McLean
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23622
Deteriorating Thomas Payne theater chairs and tri-fold sofa

We have a 2019 331RL Montana HC and the fabric on these items is starting to crack, split and come apart right before our eyes. We bought our unit new from ODW with a 6 year extended warranty.

Wondering if any others on this forum have experienced similar issues and what were your end results. Did your warranty cover ANYTHING?

John McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 04:29 PM   #2
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Lots of threads about the failing pleather. Try the search feature for other threads.

I don't recall that anyone here has tried to use a warranty claim to replace the chairs and sofa...perhaps someone has and I missed it.

I believe this comes down to a "wear and tear" issue. Most warranty companies run away from "wear and tear" issues - but I have no experience with warranties.

This is what I have read about this issue...I believe the peeling pleather was an issue for the entire RV industry/all makes for about 10 years...luxury motorhomes, nice fifth wheels and travel trailers. The adhesive holding holding the outer fabric to the backing fabric evidently failed. Some RV manufacturers warranted the fabric for a short time and replaced the item - but I don't think the fabric supplier stepped up to the plate and made the customers whole on this. I think they were hoping this issue would fade into the horizon with time. The majority of folks on this forum buy new chairs with better quality fabric or real leather.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2023, 11:20 PM   #3
John McLean
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #23622
Thank you for your reply.
John McLean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 07:25 AM   #4
Kyle and Lisa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21685
Just bought a new loveseat/recliner thru camping world and a lot of research - $768.00 with shipping. Ours started peeling because of using a electric heating pad for extended periods of time. We had it for 6 years with full time use.
Kyle and Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2023, 07:27 AM   #5
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
check with your extended warranty to see if they cover it. I would bet against it.

We got ours replaced under warranty. tehy started spitting after a year. I have since replaced them with recliners from a furniture store
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote