Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2004, 02:21 PM   #1
2007dura
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #2313
Newbie-1'st Trip ????'s

The first trip with our new 5er is almost here, going for a shakedown on Tues. for a few nights. A couple of items I have questions about, that I am sure you will have experience with:
1. What do you do to prevent items in the "basement" area to keep from moving around in transit?
2. Do you use the straps to tie chairs down? Dealer said that I didn't need to strap down, as there was little movement. I find this hard to believe.
3. On the first trip you made, what did you forget that you have never forgotten again?
4. Finally, can I charge for the entertainment I will provide the campground with, such as my precision backing skills, and setting up for the first time?

2007dura is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 02:32 PM   #2
trukdoc
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2220
Send a message via MSN to trukdoc
I have enough stuff in my basement that I do not have a problem with it moving.
The only other thing I could suggest is to actually set up the unit as you would at an RV park.
What you are looking for is enough electrical cord, water hose and sewer hose to cover connections that might not be real close to the site. I have had to go as far as 30 feet away for electrical and water.
I got caught without enough sewer hose my first trip out. I suggest several small hoses with couplers. The idea is to have a straight shot to the sewer connection with few bends. Use as little hose as possible. Especially in cold weather.
Have fun.
Rick
trukdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 02:54 PM   #3
padredw
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2224
Send a message via Skype™ to padredw
I will add to the response of my East Texas neighbor above. I have the 2955RL and you should definitely secure your chairs. If they are too close to the rear windows, they can damage the shade "anchors". Also be sure to unplug the lamp. We left it plugged in one time and the chairs (even through they were 'secured') damaged the face plate of the electrical outlet. Our dealer showed us how to use the straps to "bind" the two chairs together--back to back. I'm not sure that is the best way, but we have followed his example ever since (about 15000 miles). You want the chairs to be not too close to the rear windows and not too close to the slide out when it is in for travel. So that determines their position for travel.

One other hint: always check the cabinet doors (and the chairs) BEFORE activating the slide out. The doors should be shut and the chairs clear so that the slide out (or the cabinet doors) are not damaged.

I agree with Trukdoc's suggestions, and I have not had any problem with items moving in the basement.

I could go on, but these are the questions you asked. I do have a check list for preparing the 2955RL for travel. Send me an email or post a request if you would like to see it.
padredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 03:35 PM   #4
joe2speed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1268
When you arrive at the campground for the first time and you back in or pull in to your sight. Before you drop the camper, get out your sewer hose and make sure it reaches the septic connection. You should have enough shore line and water hose to reach those connections. My first time, I dropped the camper and had to hitch it up again because the sewer hose didn't reach. Good luck on your first trip, go slow remember to chock the wheels and lower the landing gear before pulling the pin.
joe2speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 04:57 PM   #5
Montana_74
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #74
2002dura

We do not have problems with items moving around.

I do not tie the chairs down, but do put them back to back and strap around the backs and snug them down. Place an afghan over the top to stop wear.

Forgot the move the metal chocks with the connecting shaft used to spread them and ran over them when moving out. Makes a mess of the chocks.

Remember if you charge them, they may want to charge you in return.

travel safe and let us know how it goes ......
Montana_74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 06:32 PM   #6
H. John Kohl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #311
Send a message via AIM to H. John Kohl Send a message via MSN to H. John Kohl Send a message via Yahoo to H. John Kohl
Best of luck on your maden voyage. Sounds like you have a good attitude so my best advise is be safe and do not be afraid to pull ahead and start again. Stuff moving in the basement is normally not a problem because there is not a lot of centrificial force there to cause it to slide. The chairs in the rear part of the camper whip around more. The sewer and power connections are two great ideas to check and also remember to check your levels. I have had to hook back up because I missed the left to right. Was tired and in a hurry.
Good luck and tell us all about your trip.
Put a close pin with a red flag on your mirror. If it is on the mirro and not clipped to the TV antenna crank you forgot to put your TV antenna down.
H. John Kohl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 11:47 PM   #7
DrivesBGM
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3
Don't do like I did and rub the steps off your 5er on the first outing!

If you are not used to towing a 5th wheel, remember that they do not exactly follow the path of the tow vehicle! They like to take short cuts through the turns!!!! Therefore, be sure to take it slow and watch your 5er in the truck mirrors especially when manuvering in tight quarters.

Enjoy your first tow! Nothing else quite like it!!!

Craig
DrivesBGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 03:50 AM   #8
DHenry
Montana Master

M.O.C. #496
I sugguest tying down the chairs and put them back to back. I failed to do this on my second trip and wore a hole in the drapes. Montana wants over $100.00 for a single panel of drapery. Don't think so!!

Good luck on your first trip. I believe you owe it to your fellow 5ER's to do the entertainment for free as you will be getting alot of free entertainment in the future yourself.
DHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 04:25 AM   #9
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Secure your chairs. We put our recliners with the fronts facing each other. That way they won't recline while travelling. We also secure our overhead cabinet handles with the childproof cupboard door locks to ensure they won't open. Get a pair of walkytalkies to use when parking. Take instructions only from your mate. Safe travels.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 04:48 AM   #10
NJ Hillbilly
Montana Master

M.O.C. #242
Make sure there is enough room to extend the slides, hook up the sewer and I carry an extra 30 amp extension cord along with various water hoses. Don't forget atleast a 20' cable TV line along with an extra 10' or 20'with a coupler.

Once the basement gets filled, the stuff doesn't move around much. I did build a rack to hold the chairs and a table so they are accessable without taking a lot out of the compartment.

I also bought a cheap plastic drawer unit that I put in the front compartment, it holds all the awning hold downs, lights extra fittings and hardware. I just shortened the wire rack a foot or so to accomodate it.

John
NJ Hillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 05:26 AM   #11
cargary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1150
20002 dura:
We echo alot of what others have already replied with. Best additional advise we can offer is reiterate in being careful with the slideouts. It is easy to forget the amount of space it takes for these units and don't try to move your 5er with the slides out - this could be a disater. Also, as you are most likely new to the slideout feature, Watch your head! It is easy to forget to duck long enough to clear the slideouts. Additionally, try to carry some extra leveling boards or planks. We have found out the hard way that an extra board to raise one side of the 5er makes alot of difference to being level of not. Most of all, take your time backing in or driving through and watch the path of the 5er. It is much easier and less painful to just pull ahead or back up and start over again, then to cut it too short and continue. Don't worry about the entertainment charge - what go's around has already went around. This is good advice for even those who have been at it for awhile. Don't let those campers who are already setup intimidate you into hurrying up and making a costly mistake. Try to ignore the onlookers if you can and concentrate on what you're doing.
Good luck and happy rving.
Gary & Carole
cargary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 06:08 AM   #12
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
Lots of great advice above.

When we had a rear living room Montana we strapped the chairs down or together (changed the method over time). Otherwise if they rock and rub on something it will wear a hole in the fabric and/or the curtains, etc. Our 3295rk we don't strap chairs down but they are not located where they'll create a problem.

We're heavily loaded in the basement and nothing moves around. Even when weekending we didn't have that problem. We use laundry baskets and plastic crates for a lot of things. And a 'tote' tub for the 110v air compressor and miscellaneous seldom used items. The basement is far enough forward we've never had a movement problem. Someone reported they do have things move around, though.

Like others said, carry plenty of sewer hose, water hoses (I have 40 feet plus some I use for washing the rig) and I'd recomment an electrical cord extension. I've had times where had I not checked the length before unhitching we'd have been a few inches to a few feet short. We had a couple of places where the closest we could get to the electrical outlet was too far for the standard electrical cord. We have a 30amp 25' extension and if we need that we'll use an adapter to connect it to the 50amp cord and then hook to 30 amps. We rarely really need 50amp service anyhow, even with washer/dryer.

If you ever figure out how to back up perfectly every time, post here and let the rest of us know how to do it. We've all had to pull out and start over at times. At least I have. The key is practice and to take it slow and easy and once headed in the right general direction just make small corrections, adding more as needed.

Good questions. Hope the trip goes well for you.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2004, 08:19 AM   #13
Random Line
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7
This we think we learned in the past 2 years or so of 5th wheeling.
We may not always be right on this but will always think so.

You don't need 2 gas grills. Leave the biggest one home or get rid of it.

We need 4 25' water hoses.
We need 2 30 amp ext cords
We have adapters for aour 50 amp cord so we can bring 30 amps at least 75'

We have a generator. But usually leave it home except when boondocking.

We have 100' of 15 amp ext cord and adapters.
Also 100' of TV ext Cable
Also 100" of Satellite cable, dish etc.

I think we need 4 lawn chairs. Navigator thinks we only need two. We have two on board.

We now only carry two dinette chairs.

We carry the tools we think we might need. And have a tool box on the truck.

Actually we carry about everything that fits on board. But slowly are cutting back items on every trip.

Time reqires that we end the list here.
Random Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 02:30 AM   #14
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
If you'll be at full hookups in a subfreezing area, you don't want a low spot in your drain hose if you leave your gray water valve open - it WILL freeze up and then you can't drain anything until you thaw it out (be sure you have a hair dryer and extension cord just in case). A heat tape attached to the incoming H2O hose will suffice - nice to wrap it with one of those foam noodle-like insulation thingabobs. If the "low point" drains freeze, they may block all flow of water inside (happened to us this week)- insulate them after you get there (a foam faucet cover works nicely)or leave H2O dripping and gray water open if hooked up to a sewer. Be sure to leave both faucets dripping - our bathroom froze up while the kitchen was dripping this week - got down to 12 degrees here in Texas !! We had holiday company staying in our RV for the past week so I didn't think we'd have a problem, but did..
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 04:46 PM   #15
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
Lots of great advice. I echo the water and sewer hose. Started with the kit that came with our first travel trailer and soon learned. When we bought the Montana, didn't even open the box, other than to get the chemicals and 20 amp adapter out. I know you need better water and sewer hose. Also, a regulator or restrictor valve for the water. Things not to forget - trailer keys. Last year we got all the way to where our rig was stored and didn't have the keys to get the hitch out of the TT. Magnetic key box to keep a spare or else a set permanently stored in each vehicle - we're in a seasonal so don't always take the TV.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 07:00 PM   #16
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
One thing I haven't seen mentioned...a support of some sort for the sewer hose. If you just let it lay on the ground, it will develop a puncture leak in one or two uses. We use a sort of tray which slides in or out for length adjustments. Available at most any RV store. It supports the sewer hose, and we build a couple of supports under the tray with 2x4 blocks to keep the hose from sagging. I've also seen lots of folks using a sort of "snake" support system.

Re the maneuvering, be sure to use two way comm with your favorite outside "helper", especially when backing. Things to watch include tree branches and the top edges of the Monty in close proximity to them. It doesn't take much to put a significant tear in the rubber roof, especially along the top "shoulders" of the roof line. I speak from sad (and somewhat expensive) experience. Take the Monty to a BIG parking lot and practice a few times with it, especially the backing and radio coordination bit....you will soon get the hang of it.

If you do a search, I remember a good thread concerning this from a few months ago.

Have a great time, and you will have LOTS more questions after you spend a few hours playing with all the "stuff".

Enjoy!!
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 07:04 PM   #17
patodonn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #331
Try this thread for the backing info...

http://www.forumco.com/montanaadmini...?TOPIC_ID=6600

Best,
patodonn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 03:18 AM   #18
Virgil
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1457
I know you will love the 2955RL. We love ours. On the chairs in the rear, we put them back to back with the fronts facing the outside. We haven't tied them down yet and we really haven't seen any movement during travel. Also, as far as backing up, don't worry about anyone laughing. Take your time and go slow, make sure of distances to objects. A quick get out and look for yourself is always reassuring.
Even the most experienced rv'r has had an embarrassing moment. It comes with the thrill of exploring. Although the 2955RL is not a real large trailer, you do have to give yourself a little extra room for cornering. Around the block a few times is good practice and keep an eye on your trailer wheels as you corner. The more you tow, the more natural it becomes. Wishing you all the best of luck. And,, Happy New Year to you and yours.
Virgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 01:26 PM   #19
skyguy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #940
Send a message via AIM to skyguy
3. On our first trip, I think we did pretty good! I can't remember anything we forgot. We went to Eleven Mile Reservoir in CO, it got down to 10 below that night! We were cozy and snug in our new 5er!

Uh, it's all the stuff we have forgotten on our subsequent trips, that we won't talk about.... ahem.

4. No, you can't charge. Just remember, you are "paying your dues", so one day you too can sit back and be "a judge"

Al
skyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 02:09 PM   #20
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I once saw a guy back into a metal canopy covering a picnic table area just because he was backing way too fast and yelling at his wife and couldn't hear her trying to tell him to stop. It was very hard to keep a straight face on that one.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote