Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Sitting around the Campfire
Click Here to Login

Old 06-25-2015, 09:09 PM   #1
Artemus Gordon
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12339
Class A or Fifthwheel, which is safer?

Ok I know it's a topic people don't want to discuss, but accidents do happen. My RV group was sitting around campfire discussing what is safer. Class A motor home or Fifthwheel being towed. After some preliminary research I found out, very scarce is the data on this subject. I have attached an article by a news source produced 6 years ago that was interesting. What I did find was Class A motirhomes are not crash tested like our tow vehicles. While busses or Prevost chassis as example, are tested, they don't tell us how they will survive catastrophic accidents. Pickup trucks are tested and crashed in various situations to predict surviveability. Class A units in most accidents do not appear to fare well. People get injured by falling debris, cabinets, walls etc. It's interesting when considering which RV is safest, my limited unscientific review tends to support well balanced fivers towed by adequate Trucks. Lastly a very serious cause of accidents in general, appear to be "brake failure" as in inadequate brakes for weight being towed. A common discussion with this group, is do you have enough truck? . I felt we need to start a discussion on an important duty we all share, being safe on the road.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/news/rv-c...#__federated=1

Artemus Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 01:35 AM   #2
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
For either one, primary factor is how you drive and how you maintain.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:36 AM   #3
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
I have always believed that fivers are safer than larger class A units. This is only based on my years as a Trooper responding to crashes.

My observations have been most occupants of large pickup trucks come out of roll over crashes without injuries. This of course depends on if they were wearing their seat belts or not though. Without seat belts occupants of vehicles on interstate highways involved in roll over crashes generally are ejected and die.

I investigated very few crashes involved RV's of any kind in my career. I am not claiming that there are fewer RV crashes, but rather there were just fewer RV's on the interstates and roads that I spent my career patrolling as compared to trucks/semi-trailers and cars.

I can say that in two crashes involving large class A units that rolled over it was total destruction. Upon arrival at these scenes only debris identified what the unit had originally been. By seeing a large straight truck style frame and tons of house type items laying all over, such as clothing, cabinets, and such, I suspected it was a large RV of some type. In one of these crashes both occupants died, in the other there were survivors.

Based on my life experiences, I would not want to roll a large class A while going 65mph no matter if I was wearing my seat belt or not. Folks think they are driving some type of "tank" down the road. In reality they are driving a big solid frame with a huge diesel engine down the road surrounded by a aluminum and fiberglass skin that will completely come apart in a severe crash.
Old 06-26-2015, 03:43 AM   #4
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
One other thing to consider is fire going down the road. Both types of vehicles do catch fire, but folks being trapped in a Class A is not an uncommon story particularly for those that have their exit doors in the middle.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 01:16 PM   #5
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
My feeling is it isn't the type of unit,be it either a fiver or motorhome. It is the experience or in-experience of the driver. It is scary out there to see how some people are driving while pulling a large trailer or a 40 foot motor home. I think they are all safe to a point. But a new driver who already thinks they know it all is more of a danger to himself and especially others around him.
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:08 PM   #6
Dmcgrew
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13564
I also have responded to several RV accidents during my career. I found that they do not do well at all, it does not matter if it is a class A motorhome, tag trailer or 5th wheel they all disintergrate upon impact. I am not sure on the statistics but it seems that being in a tested vehicle such as a tow vehicle with air bags would be and is my choice.

I am not sure this is why I pull a 5th wheel but it soes seem to make sense. I agree that very few accidents that I responded to involved RV's but when I did they were catastrophic in near total destruction of the RV. It did not matter if it was a class A or towed vehicle.

Best Advice be careful!!
Dmcgrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 05:45 PM   #7
Willy Bee
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #15919
If people who have these 5ers or motor homes if they would just slow down and drive them more safe. I have seen too many people driving a 40 foot something and they are going 80mph. Then they wonder why they wrecked.
Willy Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 02:10 AM   #8
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
And why they had tire failures.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:10 PM   #9
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
Adequate truck, being key words.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:09 AM   #10
Phil P
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11206
Hi

As a CDL class A driver I have driven Semi tractor trailer, Greyhound bus and Class A RVs. I found the Semi easer to drive. I find the faith wheel RV trailer easer to drive than the class A RV.

I am comfortable pulling the fifth wheel more than I was pulling the bumper pull trailers we had for years before I purchased the fifth wheel RV.

Phil P
If you get a page not available then remove the "s" after HTTP
Phil P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:07 AM   #11
HOOK
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11401
[quote]Originally posted by HOOK

Adequate truck, being key words. Having owned a class A and several bumper pulls and having owned a fleet of two trucks, fifth wheels are more stable.
HOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 09:54 AM   #12
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
I have to agree completely with what Joe (JandC) stated about the Motorhomes. During my career as a Firefighter I have responded to many accidents involving class A motorhomes and none of them faired well. If it was a car vs motorhome head-on the motorhome was damaged just as much as the car. They just seem to fall apart and the injury levels were high! As for fires, it is true that the ones with the mid-section door did not provide the occupants much avenue to escape easily while driving.

I feel much safer towing my 5th wheel then I ever would traveling in a motorhome, IMHO.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:10 PM   #13
Mike117
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #16033
I agree with the trooper. I have been to a few AA over the years. Drive with in your skill set and slow down. When I had a tow behind I would push it. With this beast I stay the speed,limit and let others blow by me. What gets me is the fools who think you can stop these rigs on a dime.
Mike117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 03:44 AM   #14
PackerFan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1081
Mike117: I agree with you on the stopping. That's why I try to drive/react to what is happening at least 4 to 5 cars ahead of myself. Have had a few close calls myself with Idiots pulling out or stopping in front of us while towing.
PackerFan is offline   Reply With Quote