Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Repairs & Service
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2008, 06:37 AM   #1
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
remote control furnace update

Last fall I mentioned on how much trouble we had with the wireless heating system. Well finally some good news. After writing to Keystone about some help in replacing the wireless system I never had a response from them. (what a surprise) So, I wrote to Dometic with all of the details of my unit and asking for some help or a goodwill gesture.
They responded with a complete replacement unit,shipped it to the local dealer and I was able to pick up everything at NO COST!!! It is so nice to see a company like Dometic respond to their customers like they have. Within 3 e-mails we had all the issues resolved and parts were on there way.
It is to bad Keystone could not have had some type of help,since they installed the parts. I do know my next unit may not be a keystone product.

racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 06:44 AM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Right, or wrong,

Many of us have had better luck contacting vendors of items. Just like you are reporting.

Always check the warranties on vendor items, many of them are longer than the one year Keystone gives us.

Toilets, for example, ours was 3 years, broke at 2 years, result of calling vendor, new toilet. Pretty much hassle free service.
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:52 AM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Racerjoe
Many of us went through this several years ago and Dometic was great and most of us received the comfort control system. When you own a stick house and an appliance breaks, you call the manufacturer of the appliance, not the builder of the house. You can purchase a RV other than Keystone but I think you will find things much the same with other mankers of RVs. Plus you will not have this wonderful forum!
Happy trails...................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:01 AM   #4
racerjoe
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7770
Quote "When you own a stick house and an appliance breaks, you call the manufacturer of the appliance, not the builder of the house".

Parrothead, I am going to dis-agree with you on this one, and bare with me and I will explain.

When you purchased your Montana,you went to an RV "DEALER" You sat down with him,picked out your colors,model,options,etc, and they ordered the unit for you. But at no time were you given an opportunity to pick out appliances,heating, plumbing,air conditioning,etc. You received what the factory uses,you can not "opt out" of these features they are part of the package.You purchased a "RECREATIONAL VEHICLE" for short trips and some extended stays,not to live in for 40 years.
This is the same as going to a car dealer,ordering your car or truck and getting what they are supplying. So when you have a problem,you need to return to the "DEALER" to have those items repaired,no matter who made them. Auto factories have there parts made all over the world,but you go to one place for repairs,and you would not expect otherwise.
When we built our stick house,yes we also sat down and ordered what we wanted,room size,roof treatment,siding,paint,brick,windows,kithen etc: but we sat down with a "GENERAL CONTRACTOR" who inturn gave you exactly what you wanted.you have the option to not furnish the house,not have him supply your appliances, and leaving you the choice to purchase what you want. So when an appliance breaks you have the option of dealing with it as you please,the choice is yours. But also,when something is wrong with the home during the first year or so, who do you call,the contractor. He is responsible for his work.
Bottom line is, you have purchased a recreational vehicle who sell them the same as an auto dealer does,showrooms,sales, dealer financing, camper shows. This is no different then an auto dealer and they should treat you the same. Your rv is also a "disposable item" like a car,it only has a usefull lifetime of a certain period.Your home on the other hand is built for the long term, maybe 100 years or more,who knows.
I apologize for dragging this on, but I am only trying to make a point. it is nothing personal against anyone on this forum,but I feel strongly that these "dealers" should be treating their customers with a little more respect then they give. I'll stop now....
racerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote