Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 01-10-2008, 02:19 AM   #21
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Colleen,
I agree with you, having friends in and trying to protect those counter tops is a real pain!!! Even in our new Big Sky it appears the counter tops are fiberglass. I have four large placemats which I keep on the end of the counter. They are dark green and match our decor. When we are expecting guests, I casually lay them out on the counter tops to prevent damage. I also always put some of the non skid rubber under anything I set on the counters. I followed a previous suggestion and bought felt strips and put them on the underside edges of the sink covers the day we took delivery. If these countertops are truly fiberglass, there should be a wax we can use on them for a little more protection and less bother. I will definitely be checking this out with the factory rep at the Tampa RV Supershow next week.

Joyce H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 02:53 PM   #22
Driftwoodgal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5446
Send a message via AIM to Driftwoodgal
I am just curious if anyone else has had a problem with their tops bubbling?

Also, can you just buy a replacement top, and will it match the rest of the counter?

Colleen
Driftwoodgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 03:04 PM   #23
bncinwv
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6846
Collen,
Our sink tops warped and were replaced by the dealer under warranty. Oddly, I remembered the original covers were solid whereas the replacements were thinner, lighter and looked like they were of a molded type. There are replacements and ours do match the counter top exactly.
Bingo

Bingo and Cathy - Our adventures begin in the hills of WV. We are blessed by our 2014 3850FL Big Sky (previous 2011 3750FL and 2007 3400RL) that we pull with a 2007 Chevy Silverado Classic DRW CC dually.
bncinwv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 09:06 AM   #24
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Just got back from Camping World and asked them what I should use on my new fiberglass counter tops. They recommended Gel-Gloss ..combines cleaning agents with wax and gives a beautiful high luster shine. I just applied it to the kitchen counter top, sinks, and sinks covers. They look beautiful, just like the day we brought the unit home. Here is the website for this product made by TR Industries.
http://www.trindustries.com/
There are some great testimonies to their products on their website. The water truly beads up on all the surfaces I finished. Thin I may try it on some of my mirrors as mentioned in one of the testimonies.
Old 01-12-2008, 10:21 AM   #25
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Joyce, did you have scratches? Did it repair them?

Thanks,

Jo-Anna
David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 11:51 AM   #26
Joyce H
Montana Master

M.O.C. #266
Jo-Anna,
If I had any scratches in mine they were minor as they are only a month old. However I did notice on the same website a product, GEL GLOSS RV HD EXTERIOR CLEAN, which says "This unique blend of cleaners and waxes and Teflon does it all - removes oxidation, removes surface scratches, eliminates black streaks and restorers luster and shine - in a single application. Heavy Duty, not abrasive." I would think if this works on the exterior fiberglass of the coach it shouold also work on the counter tops. They also have a contact for where you can make an inquiry, so perhaps they could give you a tip on what to use.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:39 PM   #27
snfexpress
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5140
Just an FYI - we use Gel-Gloss and get it at Home Depot.
snfexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 05:08 PM   #28
Wayne and Carolyn Mathews
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7445
We have a 2007 3585, and the literature that came with it says something along the lines of "countertops easily repaired." Well, I hope so, because while cleaning my sink last month, I tried to remove a piece of what I thought was some type of dried food on one wall. Ha--no food, but a hairline crack. I got the flashlight out and inspected both sinks inch by inch. Sure enough, I found several more small cracks. So far, my dealer has been wonderful about fixing every little glitch that's turned up, and I'm sure he'll take care of this problem as soon as we can get back to Idaho Falls. But I am extremely careful about how I put things in the sinks, and when removing and/or replacing the sink covers, so I'm not too happy about this damage. Bummer!
(Photos below taken this morning, January 22, before I went to work. We're locked in for the winter with skirting, ice, and snow, but without a septic system, so we now have HIS and HERS Porta-Potties until our home is finished or spring arrives, whichever comes first.)
Stay Warm! Carolyn

Wayne and Carolyn Mathews is offline   Reply With Quote