Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2007, 01:01 PM   #1
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Returned or refused Emails....

Folks, If you intend to send me an email that requires me to reply I would strongly suggest that you approve my email reply before hand. I do not have the time nor the inclination of having to complete some application or go to some other link or whatever. If you want a reply from me than please allow me to do so without a hassle. This happens way to often for my liking. In just the past week alone this has happened 3 times and so there are at least 3 MOCers out there that WILL NOT be getting a reply from me.

IE...
I apologize for this automatic reply to your email.

To control spam, I now allow incoming messages only from senders I have approved beforehand.

If you would like to be added to my list of approved senders, please fill out the short request form (see link below). Once I approve you, I will receive your original message in my inbox. You do not need to resend your message. I apologize for this one-time inconvenience.

Click the link below to fill out the request:

https://xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.com

I realize most all folks are concerned about spam and virus's but asking someone a question via email without approving their return email to me is just plain rude and a waste of my time.

Thank you!

Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:16 PM   #2
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Glenn,

I am wayyyyyy behind you on this one! I also deal with this all the time, and I have stated in no uncertain terms when I teach, that this is a sure way to NOT get answers to your questions. This is where the power of web based emails become evident! Get a web based email addy and use it for forums like this, or for your research questions. Save that over protected email addy with your server for your bestest friends and family.

I am NOT going to jump through hoops, or fill out forms, or worst yet, SEVERAL forms, after clicking on 3 to 5 web pages to even FIND the form.

Sorry people, you may not like it, but if you pull this silliness, I won't be writing you back.

I have personally identified a number of ISP's that specialize in over protective measures. I won't even bother with you if you have an email addy with them.

Oh, you think I feel strong about this??? Ya, and you ought to hear me rant and rave in person about this! ARGHHHHHHHHHH!
Mrs. CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 01:47 PM   #3
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
Thank you Carol.

Some folks do not realize just how aggravating it is to sit down and spend a lot of time trying to compose an answer to their question(s) only to have that message rejected because we weren't "APPROVED".

Like you I do not care to put up with this and those requesting such a reply better understand this and pre-approve my email addy or don't waste my time. I find this quite often with AOL, Earthlink and a number of others. I even received a PM from an MOCer who was very upset that I did not respond to their Email. They settled down very quickly when I explained the rejection by their own ISP.

Your suggestion of a web based email is an excellant one. There are many web based emails such as Hot Mail, Yahoo, Lycos or click here for a Google list.
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:15 PM   #4
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
This happens with some of our family members. The way I figure, the heck with it-I am not going to go through hassles for them so I just don't bother sending them emails.
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 02:43 PM   #5
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
How bout doing 1 to 2 hours of volunteer research for someone, and then type it all up, another 1 hour or more, and then have the email bounce!

There are not enough UNHAPPY, TICKED OFF, HAPPY FACES THEN!!

I have been using email and the internet for so many years I cannot count them. I had ISP email addresses, then the ISP would change names or go out of business and I had to notify all my contacts AND change that email addy on all the boards I posted to. After about 3 of those painful changes, I went to yahoo. I have since added web mail addys at Hotmail, and gmail (google). I have 2 accounts still at AOL, and I have 6 others ALL WEB MAIL. (Bonus of web mail is that you can use any connection to go get it, libraries, wifi, air cards, they all go to the web, they all go to your web based email server.)

I do NOT miss messing with ISP addys.

I tell my students, if you are going to go to the trouble of doing research and contacting others on the internet, why oh WHYYYYY, do you want a totally protected email addy.

OKKK, I'll get off my high horse now!
Old 09-10-2007, 03:50 PM   #6
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
Glenn
Couldnt agree more. Don't blame you and you should not let it bother you. Sleep well. How about the people who forward you an email and it takes 15 clicks to get to it. Instead of forwarding just the attachment they forward all the forwards. You get 1 click. After that youre gone. =
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:59 PM   #7
RC and Samantha
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2
Send a message via AIM to RC and Samantha Send a message via Yahoo to RC and Samantha
I have to echo what everyone said here. All of the above points are so aggravating. One of my pet peeves on forwards or mass e-mails is not blind carbon copying. Without blind carbon copying you're sending everyone's e-mail address out all over the web, cause invariably someone else will forward and the whole e-mail list gets stuck in the body of the e-mail, then it goes round and round and who knows who gets your addy?

Glenn mentions AOL, but I have never had a problem with them. We have had an AOL addresses for ten years now. Even with my Spam filtering set to medium I have not had anyone tell me their mail would not go threw. I learned all about computers and the Internet by trial and error with AOL so I guess I have a special attachment to it and it's functions.

Like Carol we have many e-mail accounts, one or two with Yahoo, Comcast (our provider, those addresses we use with Outlook), AOL and of course our Lovett for Life (also use Outlook for that one). Haven't tried G-mail yet but want to. I keep admiring Sue/Parrothead's blog page and apparently you have to have Hotmail to have one, so we may want to get one of those.

When Dick retires we will probably loose full AOL as GM pays a portion of it, or maybe it's the union? AOL now offers free full AOL to anyone I believe but I would think it's full of ads.

Now anyone I know with Earthlink...wow...what a hassle! Even if they send me an e-mail and I try to reply I get that stupid message Glenn copied in this first post. You'd think if they sent you an e-mail the program would somehow recognize your address and let your reply get threw. I used to fill them out, but no more.

OK, guess I am venting too...sorry. Rambling here too I think. I was just taking a break from doing the rally name tags, think I have spent way too much time in front of this contraption today.

Patty
RC and Samantha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 05:59 PM   #8
clutch
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7329
I find that the PM feature works good for me. I realize that you can't send a book but most correspondence can easily be handled there and you don't have to worry about opening an email from someone you don't really know.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 12:48 AM   #9
virgil47
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3846

Glenn,
You and I don't see eye to eye on a few subjects but on this one, we are blood brothers.

It actually raises my blood pressure to have spent my time composing a response only to have it "rejected". My reaction is always unchristian..."rejected my a**, you can rot in ____ before I complete an application for the priviledge to respond to you". Thank Goodness I only think this and never write it.
virgil47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 01:00 AM   #10
SlickWillie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6575
Dang it Glenn, we finally agree on something! I just had a cousin call me and give me her address. She wanted some genealogy research I have done over the last few years. Being the nice guy I am, I agreed to send it, even offering to scan old marriage records I have obtained. I fire off the email and it returns. So, I use my Yahoo account thinking AOL just want take an email from my domain. Same thing. I guess maybe she'll call me back some day when she doesn't get the info.
SlickWillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 02:51 AM   #11
Mrs. CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6337
Virgil47,

Actually once or twice I took the opportunity (??? ???) to fill in one of those questionaires with the reasons why I found it so annoying. It was an eye opener to the person I was trying to contact. They had no idea!!!

Some web sites I frequent, have gone to hidden emails, for example, some genealogy forums. If ya put a querie out there, and then HIDE, what ARE you thinking?? Again, I have taken the opportunity to mention this to users I want to chat with, expressing my total frustration. Again, the user was unaware they were being protected.

So, there are two sides to everything. I no longer type long long responses, I send off a quick note, something like, testing validity of this email. If I get back the dreaded questionaire, I usually shrug it off, forget the person and go on to the next issue in my life. I only fill it out IF the burning desire to talk to the person over rides the burning agony of filling out the questionaire.
Old 09-12-2007, 07:00 AM   #12
ARJ
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6162
Hey-neat idea. Use the phone!
ARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:44 AM   #13
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by RC and Samantha

I have to echo what everyone said here. All of the above points are so aggravating. One of my pet peeves on forwards or mass e-mails is not blind carbon copying. Without blind carbon copying you're sending everyone's e-mail address out all over the web, cause invariably someone else will forward and the whole e-mail list gets stuck in the body of the e-mail, then it goes round and round and who knows who gets your addy?

Patty
AMEN...Thanks Patty for stating something I keep harping about, just don't seem to be getting through to my friends, they keep putting me on their forwarded lists....this keeps those spam blocker and ad-aware companies in business.

BTW, GMail is a great FREE service. If anyone needs a Gmail invitation, I have 240 left that I would be happy to forward....just email me via this site with your current email address...and like Glenn said, if you want a reply...just do like Glenn said..he is a wise man.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote