Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 09-28-2006, 06:49 AM   #1
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Water heater cavity

It looks like there were two problems, one, the upright support had a knot in it, and broke, the second problem, is that they cut the paneling too tight, it 'Oilcans', it's so tight.
The upside of this situation is that we are going to have a large shelf for storage after I get done repairing the mess that Keystone created, by shoddy workmanship.
The third photo shows the mis-alignment when a screw was removed from the wall due to the paneling cut too large.
Ozz (Oh, Sue wanted you all to see her tiles, we have three other neat ones.)
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...rcavity006.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...rcavity005.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...rcavity003.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...rcavity002.jpg
http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n...rcavity001.jpg

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 07:14 AM   #2
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
So the primary cause was a knot (weak point) in the upright support.As for the improperly cut panel we had the same issue in our shower stall.The panel buckled because it was cut to long.. Hope the keystone folks read your post...
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 08:00 AM   #3
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
Jim and Sue,
I like the tiles - how do you have them on the wall. Double stick tape?
The cupboard that you are showing is one some of us with 3400s don't have. That was added on the later 2005's. Our furnace is down there along with the winterizing junk and I think the water pump. It looks like the knot in the wood was the main problem. Hope you get it fixed.
Happy trails.......................
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:35 AM   #4
VanMan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9
Those tiles are going to get really heavy as you add to your collection over the next 20 years !!!!
VanMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 10:41 AM   #5
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Load 'er down, that my motto! Seems to be anyway.
Sue used the 3-M Command stuff, it's gooey picture hanging stuff, then Velcro on top of that so the wall won't get marred. We put a small screw on top of the inside tile to hold it also.
Ye, Rich, they cut these things so tight, it leaves no room for expansion.
Keystone's eyes glaze over when they see my posting, they probably dislike me intensely.
Build it better!
Ozz
Old 09-28-2006, 11:39 AM   #6
LonnieB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6150
Send a message via MSN to LonnieB
Ozz, I don't think the person who built that cabinet has EVER built anything out of wood before. Anyone who has would not've used that piece of wood to support anything. Pretty shoddy craftsmanship, or maybe poor quality control for letting that piece onto the assembly line.......nah, it's both. One thing for sure, it'll be 100% when you get done with it.
LonnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 12:30 PM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Actually Ozz I mentioned to Aram that Keystone should take a look at your camper as you had made many interesting mods. He asked if you were here as he wanted to see it. The top Keystone folks were here at the rally for our show and tell and took many notes.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 02:23 PM   #8
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
Common sense should have told the Keystone employee that an oversize knot like that makes that piece of wood complete scrap. This is something I have seen many times over the years on all my RVs. When I put my fireplace in, I beefed up the cupboard that holds the big TV. That 72 pound Dinosaur is housed in a pretty flimsey cabinet and I am surprized we have not seen a few of these come crashing down. Oh well, RV ownership is always an adventure and this mickey mouse carpentry is right through out the industry. It is not just a Keystone wart.
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 04:38 PM   #9
Imp
Montana Master

M.O.C. #956
Aram said he would be coming to the Spring Rally in Buellton. Maybe you could make it to that one also.. a good place to be in the spring.
Imp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2006, 05:03 PM   #10
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
Wrenchtraveller, It's amazing just how flimsy everything is...
Thanks, Imp, Who is Aram? I assume he is with Keystone. Where is Buellton? It would be great if someone from Keystone could fly down to Branson to Hemlock's rally, it will draw a whole additional crowd.
Old 09-28-2006, 05:52 PM   #11
Bluegill
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6121
It looks like the Assembly line needs to slow down a little and take a little more pride in what their doing, But, Time is Money.
Maybe your coach was built on a Monday !!

Blue
Bluegill is offline   Reply With Quote