Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2006, 04:49 AM   #1
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge as TV for 3400

Absolutely don't mean to start another war about which pickup is best, but would like some advice. I had planned to buy a used pickup as my initial tow vehicle and had focused on the 2005 F350 because used Fords are so much more prevalent in this area of the country. I'm now becoming more concerned about how well any one ton pickup will hold up, particularly the tranny, to hauling a 3400 for two years of full timing out west and up into Canada and Alaska. Since it looks like tranny warranties are limited to 3 years or 36,00 miles, I'm suddenly thinking more about the possibility of buying a new one ton in the hopes of still having some warranty coverage after the two years of full timing if the strain proves too much for the tranny.

My present plans are to get a one ton, diesel, with auto trans, extended cab and long bed. Leaning strongly toward the dually--uncertain yet about 4x4 vs 2WD.

To date I've focused far more on Fords and admittedly don't know much about the Dodge and Chevy 3500s. I accept that any of the Big Three's 350/3500 diesels have the GCWR to tow the 3400, and the duallys should have ample payload capacity regardless of how much stuff I pack. Have read about how well the Duramax and Allison go together, how comfortable the ride is in the Chevys, how Cummins makes a great diesel, and how sturdy the Ford trucks are. But don't have much info on things like the relative durability of the different trannies in hauling something like a 3400 and which trucks have better braking capability when it comes to something like a panic stop with a 3400. Also unclear on whether there are differences among the Big Three as to how well an exhaust brake will work in the different trucks or whether there is a difference in the risks I face with losing warranty coverage on a 2007 if I have an exhaust brake put on aftermarket.

Based on what I have heard and read about the new ULSD engines, I'm particularly anxious not to have to get one of the new engines. My Ford dealer says they'd have to send the order to the factory by October to be assured of getting the existing 6.0L engine, and I suspect the other manufacturers have similar lead time requirements. So I'm now faced with having to make a decision in the next month or two that I thought I could postpone until winter time. So any help you can offer would be appreciated.

David and Jo-Anna Kikel

David and Jo-Anna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 05:35 AM   #2
Parrothead
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1989
Send a message via MSN to Parrothead
David,
I don't think you are going to get an definite answer because we all feel ours is best. And this subject has been beat to death just like the weights. You need to drive all three or four (GMC and Chevy are a bit different).
Happy trails.....................

Sue and Ed Rowe
Hemet California

2005 3400RL
2006 GMC 3500 Dually, D/A, Crew Cab, Long Bed
Parrothead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 05:48 AM   #3
CountryGuy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #191
Agree with Sue,

Go drive em, talk $$, can you get discounts on one over other (like brother-in-law can get A plan, or something like that).

We all love our trucks, if they do the job, many of us are Ford people, or GM people or Dodge people, and we all get down the road with em.

We all have different reasons for buying the truck we did when we did. For example, in year 2004, did one have something that we felt was more important on a Dodge vs a GM?? Was there a number game that made more sense? For the 2005, was there something someone did not care for and it was so negative that they just could not buy that truck. This gets into that ole comfort zone thing.

If ya got a new truck, ya got warranty, that is true.

Personally, I kinda agree bout the 07 and the diesel fuel game, noting that Al and I are driving a gas engine for the time being. We have a long list of reasons why, way longer than anyone wants to read!

They will all do the hauling, you really do need to go drive one of each, that may show you something that is out of your comfort zone, towing mirrors you don't like, something.

Which brand?? The one that has the most truck you can afford that will haul your rig down the road. And, to repeat, they do all haul us down the road.

Al & Carol Stevens Tipton, Mi.
Retired - Traveling with 4 Yorkies
Our Camping Rig History
Montana Improvements and Travel Reports
Our take on RV ownership, "Ya better be handy with your hands and handy with your cash."
2004 3295RK
2003 GMC 3500 Allison/8.1
PullRite 15.5K Super 5th
Line-X
JackRabbit tonneau cover
Bilstein shocks
Isolator Pin Box

Every day spent on earth is a blessing, every day spent in our Montana is a day blessed twice.
CountryGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:08 AM   #4
Ozz
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5980
David, is your occupation an analyst?
let us know what you end up with.
I have a Ford, and am entering into a law suit with Ford, over not repairing a drive line issue. ( An '06 with 10,000 miles on it.) I haven't talked to one person yet that has had the same problem, yet Ford states it is a common problem with all of the 3/4 ton Diesels. (I explained this in another thread.)
Ozz

'07 3400RL 2nd RTU
2 Golf Cart batteries 1500 watt inverter
Honda 2000 Generator, 2nd one and twinning kit coming
Maytag's with 220 Dryer
Stationary domed Sat. dish
LCD 12 Volt Amp gauge
LCD Tank Monitor
3 added 120 volt outlets
On Board Air; 12 Volt Viair 450C compressor
2006 Ford PSD 4x4 Off Road Lariat
Hadley Air Horns
Truck inverter with 110 volts for laptop
Color Backup Camera
Awning lock

Ozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:10 AM   #5
Hemlockusa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4766
David - I just read a bulletin on the 2007 Dodge Cummins. It is authorized for B20 fuel - It has a built in Exhaust brake in the Tubro. and the new Automatic that come's with it. Is warrantied for 180,000 miles.... I know the cummings is warrantied for 100,000 or 5 years. Just food for thought... I bought a 2005 Dodge 3500 and now wish I would have waited for the 2007 ha ha
Safe Travels John

2005 Dodge 3500 4x2 Dually Cummins Diesel, Line X /2005 Montana/""MOC TRAVEL ASSISTANCE VOLUNTEER"" ""TOPEKA, KANSAS AREA"" 3650RK
Hemlockusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:39 AM   #6
daneboy
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4854
I tow a 2955RL with an 06 Ford F250 4x4 diesel. We went to Alaska and back this summer with no troubles. Ford's "tow command" built in brake control system works great. With the tranmission in tow-haul it shifts down for you and holds you back on down grades. We went down many steep grades without using a lot of braking. I checked the mileage for the first 1,000 miles and we did 10.3 mpg. Diesel fuel in Canada is between $4.50 & $4.85 a gallon. Try out the big 3 trucks and see which one you prefer.
Good Luck,
Jerry
daneboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:54 AM   #7
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
David,
GM does not allow the use of an aftermarket exhaust brake. It will void the warranty on the Duramax. Have you looked through the MOC Rig pictures page that Glenn has put together. Most of the pictures include the tow vehicle, if not it is usually listed in the signature. You may want to go through there, that should give you a pretty good idea of who is using what, and what model they are towing.

2004 Chevy Silverado LT 2500HD CrewCab Duramax
2004 Montana 3400RL
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 06:54 AM   #8
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
Hemlockusa--thanks for the info. Question on the 2007 Dodge bulletin you are referring to. Does it indicate whether the warranty is void if non-ULSD fuel is used in it? I was told that, with the new ULSD engines, warranties would be void if non-ULSD fuel was used in the engine and that they can detect traces of the sulfur if you use regular LSD. I also was told that Canada and Mexico will not have ULSD widely available for some time. Since I want to be able to travel to Canada and Mexico while full timing, that rules out the new ULSD engines--no sense buying a new truck for the sake of a warranty if the warranty gets voided as soon as I go up into Canada.

David and Jo-Anna Kikel
Old 08-10-2006, 09:26 AM   #9
Countryfolks
Montana Master

M.O.C. #116
I think all of the 07's will be required to use ulsd because of motor/emission design. I've read that lsd will probably damage them and thereby probably void the warranty. You may need to look closer at an 06. Vehicles sold out side the US may conform to different engine/emission requirements. I think the 06 up Dodge can have a factory installed jake brake on both auto and manual trans, 04, 04.5 and 05's autos can't. The 48re auto trans in the 03 and up is proving to be a pretty good trans, MUCH better than the older one [47re]. Remember, the truck does not stop the 5er, it has brakes of its own. I don't know about the other brands but Dodge put larger brakes on it's newer trucks.

Skip

Skip and Mary
Black '04.5 Dodge 3500, CTD, 2x4, 48RE, LB, DRW, 3.73, LineX, AFE air filter, Donaldson muffler
'05 3500RL, TrailAir Pinbox
Countryfolks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 11:41 AM   #10
Glenn and Lorraine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #420
David and Jo-Anna two words---General Motors

Other than what you have already listed I have 2 more suggestions----4X4, SRW
Glenn and Lorraine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:44 PM   #11
adelmoll
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2716
Hi David and Jo-Anna. We just completed a trip to Alaska and put 37,000 miles on our 2005 350 Diesel 6.0 since we took possession of it on June 25, 2005. It purrs like a kitten. Other that that, I will not touch this topic any more than I will politics or religion.

Helen

To follow our journey please click: Bill and Helen's Journey
2005 Montana 3475 pulled by our 2005 Ford 350 Power Stroke Diesel
adelmoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 02:18 PM   #12
Cat320
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5751
Of the three, drive 'em all then pick the one you like with the best deal. Properly equipped, they'll all do the job. Ignore all the Chevy/Dodge/Ford owners that say their's is best, it's your truck, you decide.

As you know, I have done extensive research on this subject, mostly 3/4 vs 1 ton...mostly GM. My solution to the 06 vs 07 debate was to order a Chevy 07 'Classic'...it will be just like the 06s, but the title will say 07. It will have none of the new engine 'stuff', just the old reliable D/A.

An earlier poster recommended a srw 1 ton...maybe Dodge/Ford, but I would not recommend it in a GMC. The GVWR for GM 1 ton srw as compared to a 3/4 ton is only 700 lbs (9900/9200)...GM does not offer a 1 ton in a short bed, so, after adding the weight increase of the 1 ton and the weight increase of the lb over the sb, you only pick up about 350 lbs of cargo capacity. Not hardly worth it, and you'd still be marginal on your GVWR for the truck.

One other piece of advice...don't rely on truck GVWRs as being of any value when comparing brands. Ford PSDs are very heavy...about 700 lbs heavier than GM. When you see a Ford with a GVWR of 10000 you think it'll haul lots more...not true. GM's D/A, 4x4, cc will average 2300 to 2450 in cargo capacity. I looked at an F250 PSD, 4x4 cc, actual cargo capacity from the door sticker was 2507.

Talked to my dealer today, my 2007 'Classic' D/A drw cc is being built as we speak...at least that's his story and he's sticking to it!
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 03:02 PM   #13
tcorbitt
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5799
Hi David and Jo-Anna,

All three make great trucks for towing. If you don't want Diesel, Ford V10 1 Ton is a good choice. I have only ever owned Diesels. 4 GMCs and now a Ford. Alway 1 ton Chassis, 4WD Single Rears. Reg, Ext, and now a Crew Cab. Typically put 150K - 200K on the truck in 5-6 years. 70-80% with a trailer in tow. I know the everyone's experience is different... I am on my 5th truck. Never lost an Engine or Transmission. I have never added any aftermarket power train modifications. Change the oil at 10K using standard the standard Diesel grade recommended by the manufacturer. I think the choice between the big three really is a personal choice. After 4 GMs, I made a switch to Ford? Why? First I was simply ready for a change, and for 06, I think Ford has a bit of an edge as a TV. Tow Command with integrated brake controller. Great Mirrors. When we upgraded from a TT to 5th, I liked the larger size truck as compared to GM. Funny since in the past, the lower stance and over tail gate hieght is one of the reasons I liked the GM. The other factor, Love the King Ranch Package BTW, the only reason I have stayed away from Dodge is the lack of a local dealer near where we live. The closest one is 20 miles away and never seems to have many trucks on hand. Locally we have a large GMC and Ford dealers who stock and sell huge numbers on Diesel trucks..

Good luck with what ever you decide on. There is an article in USA Today reporting a sharp decline in truck sales. Should be a good time to get a great deal...

06 F350 4wd PSD Crew
06 Mountianeer 34PHT
tcorbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 05:35 PM   #14
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
David, I'll toss in my opinion, too. I think all three majors can do a great job for you.

As for the Ford, well, I can tell you we have just short of 63k miles on the 2005 F250 6.0 TorqShift and the transmission shows zero signs of problems. When I had the fluid and filter changed I was told it looks really good.

Keep in mind the weight we're towing with this rig is several hundred pounds heavier than the GVWR of the 3400. In other words, this 3295RK is likely heavier than most all 3400's so it's not that I'm towing a lighter weight.

The F350 you are considering likely is within all weight ratings when towing the 3400.

Others mentioned the tow/haul and grade braking. In addition, the 6.0 has exhaust backpressure from the variable geometry vanes in the turbo closing when off throttle. I cannot tell the difference going downhill between this diesel and our V10 gasser, both towing and solo.

The ratings on my 2005 F250 are GVWR=10,000, Tow=15,400, GCWR=23,000. That F350 will likely be higher except on GCWR.

In my opinion, that truck will have you smiling.

on edit -- I didn't say that very well. Solo I cannot tell the difference between this diesel and our gasser when going downhill. Towing, the diesel is better simply because of the transmission helping out. The engine helps with the exhaust pressure about like a gasser would but the transmission makes this diesel any better. I'm still not saying it very well. You 6.0 guys know what I'm saying.

See another Montana or Mountaineer on the road? Flash lights twice, it might be one of us!
Steve Reigle (pronounced Regal)
Fulltiming since 3/21/03
'03 3295RK
'05 Ford F250 SD Lariat CC SB 6.0L PSD/TS FX4 4x4

Our RV Travels (now Firefox-compatible)

sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 01:56 AM   #15
steves
Montana Master

M.O.C. #185
Well - I would say:

Ford Ford Ford Ford

Any of the newer trucks will give you good service. My F350 pulls my 3400 outstandingly with no after-market add-ons.

Steve & Betty (AKA steves)
2005 3400RL Montana
2006 F350 PSD SRW CC LB 4X4 King Ranch
steves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 02:38 AM   #16
Wrenchtraveller
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4890
The built in Brake controller on the Fords is a sweet option and I am surprized that GM and Dodge are not yet offering it. My brother has an 05 Dodge Cummins and loves it. I like my Ford because I wanted a crew cab and a long box. The Dodge mega cab does not come in a long box yet.

All 3 are making good pickups right now and I wish Toyota would get into the heavy duty market soon just to make the competition even keener.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

Don & Donna
Vancouver Island
2005 Ford F350 V10 Lariat CC 4x4 LB SRW 11200 GVWR
2006 Montana 2955RL
click on the little pic to see a big pic
Wrenchtraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 03:07 AM   #17
Broome101
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1832
my signature says it all

Broome101
2005 F350 PSD,SRW,CC,LB, King Ranch, 4x4
2005 3685FL
http://www.picturetrail.com/broome101
Broome101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 08:27 AM   #18
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Got to agree with Sue - the pickup topic has been beat to death also. Got to agree that the "Big 3" have most of the bases covered for towing. The rest is personal preference. As for us, we prefer the F350 powerstroke, super duty, 4x4 with the integrated braking system. We don't tow a 3400, but would do so in a heartbeat if that's the model we wanted. In a panic situation, anything can happen no matter what you have. Do your research, but go with what you feel comfortable with that fits your situation.

Virgil and Karen
2000 3255RL
2006 F350 PSD 4x4
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:33 AM   #19
Fordzilla
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2819
Send a message via MSN to Fordzilla
It's been said before that some of us like this about Fords and that about GM's and other things about the Dodge's. To bad an aftermarket company cant take a chassis from one brand and add what we like about each of the other vehicles and make the ultimate tow vehicle. Until then I will stick to what I have now.

Ron & Melinda Rosewall
Marcus, Iowa
'06 F350 DRW King Ranch 4x4, diesel pulling machine.
'04 3685FL, Fireplace, Cent Vac, Fantastic Fan, Safety Glass, 2nd A/C, Slide out awnings.

http://www.picturetrail.com/fordzilla

Fordzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 11:05 AM   #20
David and Jo-Anna
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6022
I want to thank everyone who has responded to this thread for all the useful info. I continue to be amazed both by the very substantial body of knowledge that MOC members have and their willingness to share it with newbies like me.

I would like to take this opportunity to go back over the postings made to date to confirm just what members have shared on some of the specific questions I posed at the start of the thread. One of my initial questions dealt with whether there were any significant differences among the Big Three in the durability of their trannies. I see some people indicating no problems with the trannies on their particular trucks, but no one who points to any significant tranny problems in any of the Big Three. If that's true, that's a relief to me as I was concerned about how well the tranny would hold up after two years of full timing with a 14,000# Monty going up and down the Rocky Mountains.

Another question I posed was whether there was any relative difference among the trucks of the Big Three in their ability to handle panic stops when pulling a big Monty. Again, I'm relieved that no one appears to feel there is any relative difference in performance on this issue as this is obviously not something I can realistically test prior to buying a truck.

Finally, I was interested to find out how effective exhaust brakes were with these trucks and whether installing them aftermarket would have an adverse effect on warranty coverage. I didn't see much in the way of comments on the effectiveness of exhaust brakes, but apparently installing them will void the GMC warranty but not the warranties of the other manufacturers. Is that correct?

David and Jo-Anna Kikel