Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > On the Road Again
Click Here to Login

Old 07-07-2005, 05:56 PM   #1
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Entering Canada

Tomorrow will be the day when we enter Canada,just north of Eureka, MT. Don't know how the terrorist activity in London will effect our entry but we'll keep you posted. We've been busy eating our fresh potatoes, strawberries, and eggs so we pass customs. I'm not sure what the latest banned items are. There are so many conflicting reports. Hopefully we won't be chosen for one of the intense searches. The best part is that we have only 150 miles to drive to reach our destination, the area around Fort Steele.

jrgwdenner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 12:24 AM   #2
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
You shouldn't have any problems as long as you have picture ID and your birth certificate. Regarding food, I think the only thing we have ever been asked is "Do we have any potatoes?" Something about the dirt from the U.S. that bothers them at the customs. I was told that if I had mud on my tires, I would have to go back into the U.S. and get it cleaned off. Other than that I don't know of any restrictions. Except: 1.14 litres of alcohol per person; 1 carton of cigs. per person and of course NO firearms.
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 01:09 AM   #3
Kimmrg
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1217
We saw a sign when we came through about no beef, but they did not ask us, nor did they check the freezer, so we just went on through. Make sure you have rabies certs for the dogs - they did have us show that. Hugs to you Judy and have a great time!
Kimmrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 01:46 AM   #4
syplace
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #1666
Keep in mind that effective Jan. 1, 2007 you will have to have a US Passport to get back in to the US. Same for Mexico.
syplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 02:36 AM   #5
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
Thanks for all the info, folks. I think we're set....we've got picture ID and our passports, Greta has her papers (not that she cares!), I made potato salad so there's no dirt on the taters, we gave away our remaining firewood,we ate the strawberries and the bananas (that was no huge task :< ) ) so I think we're ready to go. We'll let you know. There are so many different reports/lists regarding customs that it's hard to know what they'll ask.
Old 07-08-2005, 10:51 AM   #6
Bill and Ann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1493
Here are a couple of links which may be of some help.
Information for visitors to Canada: Use the following link and page down to Visitors to Canada and also the link on the left under travellers.
For Canadian Residents returning to Canada: www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel/menu-e.html
Bill and Ann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 01:47 AM   #7
OntMont
Montana Master

M.O.C. #122
Welcome to Canada!

I suppose by now you have made it through Customs. I doubt you would have had any trouble. We always find it a bit of an adventure to find out what the hot topic of the day is with the Customs Officers.

By the way, Bing cherries should be available at orchards in B.C. about now.
OntMont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 06:41 AM   #8
melnjoy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1935
Glen and Judy
I sure wish that we were also going, it sounds like so much fun.
We wish you all the luck and am sure this trip will be everything you dreamed of.
Mel
melnjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2005, 09:34 AM   #9
jrgwdenner
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1105
We are in Radium Springs, BC at the visitors center. Seems that the centers all have internet connections for a vey small donation. We are camping in the Redstreak Prov. Park. It is not made for big RVs but we got in our site and got the slides open. So what if the LR slide hangs over the picnic table.

The Canadian people are very nice. We visited with one couple from Edmonton who recommended Hwy 40 east of Jasper for our drive to Dawson City It will save us 160 miles by not going through Prince George, which we will see on the way home. So far we're not sticking to our itinerary very well. Streets and Trips are very good at estimating our travel time anyway. The roads have been great, the traffic light and we've made good progress through the small towns. It's always better to err on the side of shorter times.

Tomorrow we'll head for Banff and a nice 3 day visit, then the same amount of time at Jasper.

The diesel prices are lower than regular gas, 89 cents and 97 cents, respectively. The groceries are higher but not too bad. We stopped at a local grocery store that we thought was a Seven Eleven type store but it turned out to be the main store in town. The building was small but the lady had it stocked to the MAX.

There are very few Americans in this area but we'll see more comrades once we reach Dawson City. My hair dryer didn't work in the restroom because we have the one plug that is larger. The facilities are very nice in the Prov. Parks Be sure to use a water pressure regulator as they have great water pressure in the NW and Canada.

We had to buy a National Parks Pass for $109.00Can, a reduced price because of Glen's "advanced age". Hee, hee, I'm glad he doesn't read the forum! It will pay for itself after seven admissions to parks. Good to share with you. I'm typing fast as others may be waiting.