Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-30-2016, 04:37 AM   #1
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Level Up

Auto leveling worked on new camper when first got it home. Worked fine at first campground on "shakedown" trip. Once arrived at home again on same concrete pad would not auto level. Error each time. We turned system off and repeated after raising front higher each time. The front would come down the maximum and then error message. It would come down the max each time and the error message would come on. Once we unhooked from truck not sure we raised the front the first time. But, thought you could turn off and it would reset somehow. Any suggestions on what is happening. Thanks,

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
navybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 04:50 AM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
You actually have to physically unplug the unit. On mine it's a wire that looks like a phone cord. Also on mine the connection is located on the inside of the front compartment, but my Level Up is an add on and they made my connection red (your's won't be) because I asked them to make it easy to find.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 11:34 AM   #3
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Read the manual and looked at the youtubes. I think we placed system in manual to take camper off truck and that screwed it up. I looked for the plug-in under the front but there are a lot of wires and hydraulic lines associated with the level up system! Can you not turn battery switch to off and unplug from shore power to reset?

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 07-30-2016, 01:19 PM   #4
bigskyjimmy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10696
To Reset it just take a small screwdriver and if you look at the top of the control pad you will see a little notch to insert the srewdriver to Pop the panel off then unplug the one connection for abut 10 min then plug back in and pop the panel back in, ALSO you can access the plug from the roadside propane compartment (on Mine anyway) Hope that works for ya
Old 07-30-2016, 01:37 PM   #5
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by navybanker

..I think we placed system in manual to take camper off truck and that screwed it up....

...Can you not turn battery switch to off and unplug from shore power to reset?...
Using the manual mode does not hurt the system. I use manual all the time without issue. But I did have a problem after using manual to raise the wheels off the ground. I got a couple of excessive lean messages during the process. The next time I did an autolevel or return to disconnect height the system did weird things. It would drop down and stop or raise up to the max. I had to reset the brain and then manual level the RV and set the that position bck into the brain (on, off, front arrow 10 times, rear arrow 10 times and then answer the questions). I haven't hit the excesse lean error since and the autolevel function is still working fine. I think there is a latent software bug, but I am too chicken to try to recreate the problem. Perhaps you hit the same problem?

Turning OFF the disconnect in the convenience center does NOT turn off the 12V power to the Levelup system. You have to either pull the power cable on the brain or just disconnect the battery. Unplug the unit from the 120V supply so the converter shuts down and doesn't try to keep 12V available. Let it sit for 10 minutes then power everything up. I would reset the level point and store that before I attempted a autolevel.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 02:07 PM   #6
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
My wife reminded me that the first time at home with the camper we had to park in front of house because we were having some trees removed. The drive was not level and it would not "auto level". We manually leveled it. Then we moved in back behind the house on its permanent pad which is pretty level and the auto level worked. Then took to campground and worked okay. Now, back home on the permanent pad space would not level. I believe the display said "timed out" but not sure. We didn't loose power (battery or 120) since bringing the camper home from the dealer. I am thinking we will raise back jacks and front to attempt auto level again before unplugging the control box. Yes, I can see the back of control box from propane compartment. I assume the green and white wires above the hydraulic hoses are the power. I also "assume" you can just pull the power plug out easily. Thanks for your help! We will see what happens with another attempt at auto level.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 08-02-2016, 04:46 AM   #7
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
Hopefully problem is solved!? Talked to LCI and they said the level system is probably "confused". Said to reset level. Said to not unplug or remove power just have the panel "off". Then do the 10 times "front" and 10 times "rear". This conversation was yesterday. This morning pulled the slides in and made sure the unit was level using carpenter's level. Did the process about four times and nothing happened. Called LCI again and person said you have to get the sequence pushing the buttons timing right and can take several attempts. Do not hesitate between pushing the front and rear buttons! After about three more tries it worked. Now, hope it is not confused again! My personal confusion is enough in this RViing experience!!

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 08-02-2016, 07:23 AM   #8
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
There is rarely a need to use the manual mode. In almost 5 years I bet I haven't used it over 3 times. To remove Monty from truck just turn Level Up on and press "front" button and the front jacks will come down 1 at a time. After 1st one contacts the ground the second will come down and then they work together.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 08:03 AM   #9
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
I bounce back and forth between manual to auto regularly , depending on site specifics and that has never caused a problem for us.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 03:03 PM   #10
navybanker
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #10884
My DW took notes during our "orientation" on the camper and said the tech said there is a "reset" in the front compartment when he was going over the level up. I remember him saying there is a red switch there but not that it was necessarily a reset for the level up. The only thing I can find is a battery disconnect besides the one in the convenience center. Didn't have one on the old camper. It is on the hot wire from the battery. This must shut off all power from the battery. It is a turn knob and says "on" and guess you turn it and it says "off". I haven't tried it thus far. I asked the Lippert person about this (since DW says the tech said it was a reset) and he said use that when storing the camper. Anyone else have this switch? This is nice to have.

2017 Montana 3611
2012 Chevy 2500
Old 08-02-2016, 03:59 PM   #11
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Nothing on our 2015 except the one in the convenience center which does not shut off everything. I installed a cutoff switch (blade type) at the battery which isolates the battery and shuts everything down.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote