Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > General Discussions about our Montanas
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #1
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
Tires of coarse

Hi I just left a Les Schwab in Brookings ore. I asked him if he could order bridgestone Duravis 250 tires. He could but they were not rated for the weight of the Montana. He suggested the 235/80/R16 Toyo. I would like those who use Toyo to chime in and tell me what you think about The Toyo Brand. I need to make a choice in a couple of weeks, we leave for the Grand Canyon around the first of March. Thanks

randye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
daily double
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #9256
I've never had them on the Monty, but they've been good on my other vehicles.I put Maxxis on Monty this time. We shall see....
daily double is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #3
Montana3800RE
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12821
We run Toyos on everything we own from pick up trucks to semis, but when it came to the Monty, we went with the Geostar 574 14 ply at $260.00 ea. from Les Schwab, so far so good and alot cheaper than the Goodyear 614, just my 2 cents worth..........
Montana3800RE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
still like my G614s. of course had to go to their website....no trailer tires.
Purchasing Trailer Tires

Look for special trailer tires – denoted with an ST in front of the string of numbers on the sidewall. These are designed with trailering in mind – they have stiffer sidewalls than a P (passenger) or LT (light truck) tire, are more flexible cornering and backing, and are designed for long duty cycles to name a few differentiating factors.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
Parts Ed
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11144
Toyo tires are a Les Schwab brand tire. And unless there is a Les Schwab store nearby I would go with a national brand tire just in case something happens and you have to have warranty issue..... JMO
Parts Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:00 PM   #6
mtheo
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6171
Toyo is not Les Schwabs brand. Les Schwab does have there own brand. Thier brand trailer tire is made in china.
Toyos are made in Japan, and they do make a good tire. I have them and have been happy so far.
mtheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:10 PM   #7
HamRad
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15
Parts Ed,
Not sure what you mean by your statement that Toyo's are a Les Schwab brand. Do a search and you will find that many dealers carry the Toyo brand. I have heard nothing but good things about them. And as Mark points out they are made in Japan. Happy Trails, Dennis.
HamRad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:58 PM   #8
Irlpguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12935
Toyo tires are definitely not a Les Schwab branded tire, We don't even have Les Schwab dealers here in Canada, but we have many dealers that sell Toyo.

I have had Toyo tires on my truck before and currently have them on my wife's car, and would buy them again, I would however not put an LT - E rated tire on my Monty, and that includes the Toyo.

I will replace the tires on my heavy Monty with a G rated tire and nothing less, particularly not an LT tire. I will sure be looking at the Geostar 574 tires.

I don't understand the comment by the dealer randye, since the Toyo has the same load capacity as most of the LT tires, that being 3042 lbs, unless I have missed something on the Toyo tire website.

Irlpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
CORattler
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10496
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by randye

but they were not rated for the weight of the Montana.
Please explain why they are not rated for the Montana, Which Montana? I have no problems with mine...
CORattler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:29 AM   #10
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
CoRatteler I should revise what the Les Schwab agent told me about the Duravis, that they are a LT not ST. Light Truck and that my old Missions are the ST and have a E Rate. His opinion that the Lt don't have as strong a side wall as the ST has. LT are around 10 ply & ST can go as high as 14 ply. Not that the LT won't work but the other has stronger side wall for the occasional curb incounter and will hold up to the trailer weight a little better, again his opinion. Hope this helps.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:01 AM   #11
randye
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7139
I've been doing reshearch and most all I see is 235/85/16 not 80 center number. Makes them a little taller is that going to be a problem? I leaning towards the Geostar with the 14 ply side walls. Just don't know how long these have been on the road yet and have their been any problems with them.
Old 01-10-2013, 04:20 AM   #12
steelpony5555
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12096
Hmmm If you are new to this subject, I think if you do search you will find hundreds if not thousands of folks using LT tires and have had no problems. In fact some of the high end trailers will come from the factory with LT tires as original tires. My old Alpenlite had Goodyear Wranglers on it and that is the tire listed on the sticker. Sorry but the sidewall story don't really fly with me. Remember LT tires should be E rated. But BFG's, Duravis, Michelins, Toyo's are all good LT replacements for a trailer in the 12k to 14k GWR weight range. Never heard of anyone having a problem with curbs or flexing or the ability to handle that weight. Just be sure your axle weights are under 6000 lbs per axle. Also remember if your rig weighs 13k not all that weight is on the axles, 15-20 percent is on the pin. Remember your truck has LT tires on it and it handles the same weights if totally loaded and that is a drive axle so no their resoning don't fly. The size everybody uses is 235/85/16 and have not heard of anyone with a clearance problem. I even added the EZ-Flex suspenion later which also reduces clearances and have not had a problem. You will still be able to use a BAL chock between the tires.
steelpony5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:42 AM   #13
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by randye

CoRatteler I should revise what the Les Schwab agent told me about the Duravis, that they are a LT not ST. Light Truck and that my old Missions are the ST and have a E Rate. His opinion that the Lt don't have as strong a side wall as the ST has. LT are around 10 ply & ST can go as high as 14 ply. Not that the LT won't work but the other has stronger side wall for the occasional curb incounter and will hold up to the trailer weight a little better, again his opinion. Hope this helps.
If you do a search on this forum and others, believe you will find the vast majority consensus is that LT tires over ST tires is the best decision. Certainly for us, ST tires are a non-starter.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:02 AM   #14
DonandJudy_12
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3206
It has been discussed at lenght on the forum before, but I will try to explain the difference between ST and LT construction and capabilities- ST tires have much less "reserve carrying capacities" than a similar size LT tire- That means the stated capacity of the ST tire is near its capacity limits, but the LT tire has a greater reserve capacity and can actually carry more weight than is stamped on the sidewall- ST tires are for trailers only, but LT tires are commonly used on pickups and the commercial trailers they pull- LT tires are more easily found at tire dealers and many ST tires must be ordered- I haven't had an ST tire on any of my fivers since 1999 when we first became fulltimers- We experienced 8 or 9 failures of ST Marathons in the first six months on the road- WE have not had a problem since we installed our first set of LT tires- JMHO- Don
DonandJudy_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #15
hookman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6237
The side wall of the Duravis 250 has steel belts in them so I can't see how the side walks are not strong enough. I just had the Duravis 250 's put on my 2955 at American Tire in Wilsonville OR or the common name Discount Tire at the recommendation of Lonnie who many of us have great respect for. My Montana has 6000 lbs. axles. The fellows at the tire shop said that they also recommend them and did to personal friends.
hookman is offline   Reply With Quote