Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Let Us Entertain You
Click Here to Login

Old 05-19-2020, 08:07 PM   #1
piperterri
Established Member

M.O.C. #23409
Anyone have a satellite dish stolen?

We just got our new satellite dish system. Yay!!!!!! Finally! But I have one question? Is it safe to leave the dish etc. out without being around ourselves?? We spent a pretty penny on this and I would hate to have it stolen. Does anyone have any experience with this and if so how can we avoid having it stolen??
Thank you for any information.
Terri Miller

piperterri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 10:21 PM   #2
Mike3387
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19510
I'm Interested too

I, too, just got a Dish antenna and wondered if I would have to worry about it walking off. I sort of planned to cable/chain it to the RV. It would be a real hassle to set it up repeatedly over a weekend, if I had to take it down when away. I will say that all the times I've been camping, only three times did someone in our group have something taken during the night. Blow up water toys(1 occasion), alcohol from a cooler (numerous campers, two years in a row, same campground). The cable/chain option would only keep the honest man, honest IMO.
Old 05-20-2020, 06:07 AM   #3
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
I put ours on the roof and use a cable lock through the handle around the roof ladder. I have seen quick release brackets you can mount that can hold it also.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01N1...ob_neva_mobile
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:33 AM   #4
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
[QUOTE=Daryles;1184072]I put ours on the roof and use a cable lock through the handle around the roof ladder. I have seen quick release brackets you can mount that can hold it also.

I have a Pathways Dish. I fabricated a removeable mount system so I could easily remove dish from roof in case trees block the signal. It is secured wth a wire rope and lock to the ladder. If I do place the dish anywhere, I use the cable lock to secure it...picknic table, tree, rig landing gear.

Guess I don't trust anybody to be as honost as me.

Recently added a Trav'eler which is far superior to any of the domed dishes. Kept the Pathways in case Trav'eler is blocked. Must have our TV operational a all times.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:46 AM   #5
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
We have never had anything stolen from our rig. We stay in fairly decent parks and when stored it stays in a gated covered storage area. When boondocking, I sometimes cable our generator to a tree. Otherwise we do not lock anything including our doors. If someone really wants something they will break a lock to get it and likely do more damage.

Unless we need to get the antenna out away from trees it is typically sitting on the roof.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:55 AM   #6
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperterri View Post
..............Is it safe to leave the dish etc. out without being around ourselves??...........
Probably not........used a portable dish and direct antenna for years without an issue. But I have heard of other things stolen, e.g., electric bicycles.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:03 AM   #7
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Never a problem with anything.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:29 AM   #8
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Have never had a problem. I do have a dog tie out cable that I occasionally use to lock my Tailgater to a tree or a trailer jack or stabilizer. But no sign anyone has ever messed with it. I generally don’t worry about it. But we typically stay at commercial RV parks or campgrounds with gated entries. Never boondock.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 11:42 AM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
When we had portable dishes we just put them on one of the slides. Worked well for wind and you needed to bring your own ladder to steal them. IMHO you don't have to make your stuff theft proof you just have to make your's harder to steal than your neighbors. Folks who lost generators at Q can attest that bolt cutters are universally available, ladders not so much.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 11:02 AM   #10
piperterri
Established Member

M.O.C. #23409
Thank you everyone for the great suggestions. My husband order a gizmo (my term) that will alarm if jiggled. I will let everyone know how it works when we get it.
Thank you.
Terri Miller
piperterri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 11:51 AM   #11
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Even with my Pathways on the ground, I think it wiggles a bit in the wind. So your alarm may go off quite a bit in the mountains.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 01:42 PM   #12
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
I had a 1952 David Bradley garden tractor chained together with some implements in a locked garage at my mom's old house several years ago and thieves broke the lock and cut the chain. What did they have? They had a cordless sawzall. All you can do is stop the snatch and grab thieves as this is what most thieves are. The cable is a good idea but if the thieves have the time and resources then it doesn't really matter what you do.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 02:01 PM   #13
mhs4771
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9969
We haven't had an issue, but ours is a Traveler on the roof, BUT we camping in a State Park in Western New York and they had their portable setting in front of the MH and in the morning, no TV, looked outside and cable was still there, but no Dish. They now have a replacement, but it get attached to the MH with a steel cable and padlock.
Old 05-21-2020, 06:01 PM   #14
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Hey All,

Glad to say I never had one walk off thank you GOD! but, Don't tell my wife I told you this she ran over our's with the truck. I was a little mad so that why everything is on the roof since then. By the way, there was nothing left of the dish when she ran over it.

Charlie
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:36 PM   #15
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
i have a wingard pathway which i put on the roof and tie it down for the wind. never had a problem yet here is the ground method of keeping it, one side tied to the satelite the other end to here http://media.heartlandtv.com/images/mean+dog.png just a little humor hope you dont mind
al meyer
3931fb
az
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:42 PM   #16
Rick n Kelly
Established Member

M.O.C. #24855
My thoughts: locks only keep honest people honest. I late 60's farmed in summer for an uncle. Set on top of hill one night watched hippies from Denton fill their car with diesel, we let them take all they wanted. Noticed care on side of hwy. Sunday afternoon.
I have never locked satellite.
Rick n Kelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 11:14 PM   #17
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie 3931fb View Post
Hey All,

Glad to say I never had one walk off thank you GOD! but, Don't tell my wife I told you this she ran over our's with the truck. I was a little mad so that why everything is on the roof since then. By the way, there was nothing left of the dish when she ran over it.

Charlie
You are the second person I have heard about wife running over Tailgater. Funny now, but not so much when it happened.

Oh, I have never had anything stolen either. If the Tailgater is stolen will it work with another box? or another company?
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 07:58 AM   #18
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteandJoan View Post
You are the second person I have heard about wife running over Tailgater. Funny now, but not so much when it happened.

Oh, I have never had anything stolen either. If the Tailgater is stolen will it work with another box? or another company?
A Tailgater will work with several different receivers. The receivers are discrete to your account not the antenna. Tailgater is only comparable with Dish but there are other similar looking antenna that will work with Direct or the Canadian systems.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 02:18 PM   #19
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
I left my sat dish in Florida on my lot when I brought my trailer home a few years ago. 1000.2 on a tripod.
It survived the hurricane.

Then campground rented sites around me to FEMA trailers. The people said they didn't want to live in the fema trailers out in the country on the canal where my rv resort is so fema came and got them and moved them to the town of Labelle.

My satellite dish and all my pavers disappeared at the same time.

So now I take it apart and bring it home with me.
Old 05-22-2020, 06:47 PM   #20
RKassl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3699
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperterri View Post
We just got our new satellite dish system. Yay!!!!!! Finally! But I have one question? Is it safe to leave the dish etc. out without being around ourselves?? We spent a pretty penny on this and I would hate to have it stolen. Does anyone have any experience with this and if so how can we avoid having it stolen??
Thank you for any information.
Terri Miller

never a problem for us in 15 years of camping
RKassl is offline   Reply With Quote