Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 11-05-2007, 01:44 AM   #1
bosan
Established Member

M.O.C. #6922
Winterizing Question

Hi all,

I just completed winterizing my 3075 Monty and while returning home (we store it 60 miles from home)I happen to wonder about the washer/dryer connections(located upstairs. Since I failed to open the faucets to allow the 'pink' stuff through,(actually forgot about them), I wonder if the two low point drains cleared the lines? Assumeing not since the valves were not open during the low point draining process. I don't remember seeing any trace of the plastic lines below the valves so no way of seeing 'pink' in the lines.

Also, anyone with a solution to draining the Water Heater Tank? After removing the A-rod, I wondered if there is a fitting combination that would allow a valve to be used in series with the A-Rod while installed?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Bob

bosan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:18 AM   #2
levietta
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7537
Hey, I like the yellow "bumpers" to protect your head on the slide. What are they and where did you get them?
levietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 02:41 AM   #3
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
I just winterized mine this weekend and also forgot the washer hookup. Going to do it tonight. You're not alone. I wouldn't depend on the low point drain. When I opened mine hardly anything came out even with all the faucets open.

Don't know if the yellow things are pool noodles but thats what I use. They stay on better the smaller you cut them. There probably out of season now up north other wise wal-mart has them and there cheap!
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 12:36 PM   #4
noneck
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6263
Send a message via AIM to noneck
Noodles to protect the noodle.
noneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2007, 01:12 PM   #5
jpbcny
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4571
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by bosan

Hi all,

I just completed winterizing my 3075 Monty and while returning home (we store it 60 miles from home)I happen to wonder about the washer/dryer connections(located upstairs. Since I failed to open the faucets to allow the 'pink' stuff through,(actually forgot about them), I wonder if the two low point drains cleared the lines? Assumeing not since the valves were not open during the low point draining process. I don't remember seeing any trace of the plastic lines below the valves so no way of seeing 'pink' in the lines.

Also, anyone with a solution to draining the Water Heater Tank? After removing the A-rod, I wondered if there is a fitting combination that would allow a valve to be used in series with the A-Rod while installed?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Bob
I've only found the "Universal" Type,

about 5" long vs the 9 1/2" type I need. Do a "Google" search for "Drainable Anode Rod" for the retailers

JP
jpbcny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 01:18 AM   #6
bosan
Established Member

M.O.C. #6922
Thanks for the reply everyone. I will make another trip up to Unicoi Springs RV Resort (North GA)and address the washer lines.

Pool Noodles, yes they protect the noodle and the bright color gives me an advanced warning.

Thank you JP for the tip on the 'drainable Anode rod'. I'll research the length issue to see if it makes a difference.

Good day all,

Bob
Old 11-06-2007, 05:53 AM   #7
mtpocket2
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6098
When I went back to do mine the lines were empty. Nothing but air and pink antifreeze came out. Guess the low point drains did what they were supposed to do. I did have all the faucets open when I used the low point drains so that probably helped.
mtpocket2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 09:10 AM   #8
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
Washer & Dryer
If you don't use it do you still need to winterize them somehow? We have never hooked it up or used them in any way.

Thanks for all the great winterizing ideas. We did the portable drill pump thing and it worked great.

Chip

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 12:27 PM   #9
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Quote:
quote:Chip Posted - Nov 06 2007 : 4:10:18 PM
Washer & Dryer If you don't use it do you still need to winterize them somehow? We have never hooked it up or used them in any way.

Thanks for all the great winterizing ideas. We did the portable drill pump thing and it worked great.
Chip, I don't have the W/D either, but water does get into the lines. The water lines terminate in our bedroom W/D closet. They are fed off of a "tee" under the bedroom sink. I disconnected the W/D lines off the "tee" and screwed on caps at the "tee". Now, I don't have to worry about it. I left the W/D lines in place, in case I or someone else wants to install a W/D.
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 01:34 PM   #10
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Don, I just did the same, it also will prevent any oders from developeing in those lines that dont get used.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2007, 02:39 PM   #11
Chip
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6338
Thank you for this info. I will take care of that this week.

Chip

2012 Big Sky 3400, now an SOB 5th wheel
2007 Montana 3075 previously
2015 GMC 3500 Dually
Chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:05 AM   #12
bosan
Established Member

M.O.C. #6922
Hey Don, thanks for the tip about the tee location. I opened the W/D faucets and while pumping 'pink' I detected only a cup of water total before the "pink' arrived. When I return next month to check things out, I'll disconnect those lines and place a note at the W/D faucets to inform everyone of the modification.
Old 11-07-2007, 05:56 PM   #13
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I have a compressor and would like to try blowing out the lines next week. There is no pressure adjustment on my compressor. Is there something here you can buy that is like the water pressure regulator?
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:51 PM   #14
DONnANNIE
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6088
Send a message via AIM to DONnANNIE Send a message via Yahoo to DONnANNIE
Quote:
quote:MAMalody Posted - Nov 08 2007 : 12:56:07 AM
I have a compressor and would like to try blowing out the lines next week. There is no pressure adjustment on my compressor. Is there something here you can buy that is like the water pressure regulator?
Mike, I think you can still use it w/o a regulator, open a valve or two in your system first, before applying air pressure. Then move onto another valve and open it and go back and close the first valve. Just keep one valve open so that the pressure doesn't build up. (Now don't sue me, if I'm wrong)
DONnANNIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 05:38 PM   #15
MAMalody
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5972
I found an inline adjustable regulator used for spray paint guns at Lowe's Bought a couple of quik connect adapters and next week, AFTER MY LOST TRIP OUT, I will give it a shot.
MAMalody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 08:19 AM   #16
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
We were told there is no need to run the pink stuff through the washer connections. I would think it all ran out the low point drains.

The purpose for opening faucets and running the antifreeze through the lines is so any water trapped somewhere in the lines would be mixed with antifreeze. This also gets antifreeze into the traps where water is probably sitting. The washer lines are vertical so it is unlikely there is any water trapped there. We did this before we started fulltiming and never had any problems with those lines even to several degrees below zero, F.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2007, 09:44 AM   #17
rogue
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7368
Steve, On our 2955RL the washer lines are horizontal from the bathroon sink to the washer. Not sure if these will drain to the low point if you open the washer faucets. I know it will not drain by only opening the bathroom sink faucets. Because of that and possibility of stagnit water there, I removed then washer lines from the "T" fitting and capped off the "T". We do not have a washer, but it came preped.
rogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 06:09 AM   #18
buschet1
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #7460
I forgot the washer too. I wasn’t sure if I needed to do anything or not. So, I read the users manual that came with the washer. There was a entire section on how to winterize the washer. It’s not as simple as getting anti freeze in the lines. There is also water in the washer unit itself that has to be treated. It took me about 15 more minutes to winterize the washer and hoses following the manufactures instructions.
buschet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 04:35 PM   #19
sreigle
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20
I was told the lines are cleared when you drained the low point drains because those lines are vertical and will not hold water.

However, if you used the washer, there will be water in its drain. You need to follow the instructions in the manual. For ours, it says to dump some antifreeze in the tub and run it through a spin and drain cycle for a few (we used 30 seconds) seconds. That will exit the water and distribute the antifreeze.
sreigle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 05:28 AM   #20
scattershot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5329
We have the washer/dryer prep in our 2955, and were getting a foul odor from the sink faucet. Turned out to be stagnant water in the horizontal run from the washer to the tee under the sink. I bought and installed an inline shutoff in both lines, and no more odor. We don't have the washer, so it's one more line that doesn't have to be winterized.

If you install the shutoffs, Ace hardware has them for less than half the price at Camping World.

best of everything, and Merry Christmas to all!
scattershot is offline   Reply With Quote