Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2020, 04:00 PM   #61
Mtncrash1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21598
[QUOTE=Slow Hand;1190955]I throw my empties in the recycle bin and let them decide ware it should go. As for the smell, I believe the truck needs to be going faster than 35 to do a regen. I am not sure what you are smelling. If it's the DEF then go to the dealer and get their DEF nozzle. It locks into the hole and it stops that stuff from spilling all over your truck. I never buy it at the pumps. Every time I see them they are crusty. Not wanting to take a chance on getting something in my tank. We have the same truck We use so little DEf that the cost of getting it anywhere is not a big deal.

You’ve obviously never been around a truck or piece of equipment that is sitting still and in regen. Or followed a diesel that is regening.
M

2017 HC 345RL
2015 F-250
Mtncrash1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 04:24 PM   #62
Mtncrash1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21598
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtncrash1 View Post
What do you all do with your empty def jugs? I know some try to get it at the pump but, it’s not always possible. I’m only asking because they aren’t recyclable and, I toss mine in the trash to go to the landfills. Also how many of you get nauseous from the fumes from regen? I know some besides myself that this happens to.
The point to this post.
The EPA wants us to run cleaner for the environment. However they didn’t think about the non recyclable containers with residual or actual def going into our landfills. This stuff is supposed to be safe but, if you read the msds on it, it gives directions for cleanup of spills and where to take that material. It also tells us what personal protective equipment we should wear. Also gives first aid for Inhalation of fumes or getting the fluid on your skin. Still think it’s completely safe? Now let’s look at what happens in your vehicle. It mixes with exhaust fumes and starts to build up in the dpf. Is there a chemical reaction starting there? I don’t know but, I would bet there is. If there is what is happening in that reaction? Now we get to the regen cycle you start to burn more fuel to burn off the exhaust particles in the filter. I know for a fact there is a chemical reaction going on there. Is it safe? I say no because burning of any petroleum product gives off dangerous gasses then add in the def mixed with exhaust particles and what ever may be created by that chemical reaction.
Just something for you all to think about.

2017 HC 345RL
2015 F-250
Old 07-17-2020, 06:40 PM   #63
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordo View Post
GRRRRR,

I hate being the voice of reason, but as someone that has done these types of mods,
(not on current F 350), but prior ones, who cares. If you want to do it, do it.

I have a suggestion for all the laptop lawyers.

Before you start to quote the laws of your or any other state, ask your self a question, Have you EVER fudged on your taxes? Even a little?
If you can swear, hand to GOD, that you have never ever "fudged", you should by all means chastise those horrible smoke belching cheaters. HOWEVER, if you can not swear, hand to GOD, that you have never "fudged", even a little, Keep your law degree in your pocket.

And that, is the end of my rant about the nay sayers.
Nope. I do not fudge on my taxes.
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:38 PM   #64
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
The point to this post.
The EPA wants us to run cleaner for the environment.......
I know for a fact there is a chemical reaction going on there. Is it safe? I say no because burning of any petroleum product gives off dangerous gasses then add in the def mixed with exhaust particles and what ever may be created by that chemical reaction.
You are correct that there is a chemical reaction going on. I worked in an industry providing control systems for power plants. SCR is a widely used method to use urea to convert nitrogen oxides into more harmless components to meet emissions guidelines. DEF is urea and the same reaction takes place in our trucks exhaust systems.

“Selective catalytic reduction is a means of converting nitrogen oxides, also referred to as NO ₓ with the aid of a catalyst into diatomic nitrogen, and water.”
(Copied from web)

NOx is one of the pollutants getting a lot of blame on global warming.

That is not regen.

The diesel particulate filter and regen are a different operation, but also in the exhaust system. The exhaust from the engine contains small unburned particles typically called soot or smoke. The DPF traps those particles until the DPF begins to clog. When the computer detects that condition it initiates a regen. That means spraying a small amount of raw atomized fuel directly into the exhaust stream ahead of the DPF. When that fuel enters the DPF it creates extreme heat that essentially incinerates those particles, turning them into components less harmful to the environment.

That’s all for today’s lesson.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 07:45 PM   #65
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_TX View Post
You are correct that there is a chemical reaction going on. I worked in an industry providing control systems for power plants. SCR is a widely used method to use urea to convert nitrogen oxides into more harmless components to meet emissions guidelines. DEF is urea and the same reaction takes place in our trucks exhaust systems.

“Selective catalytic reduction is a means of converting nitrogen oxides, also referred to as NO ₓ with the aid of a catalyst into diatomic nitrogen, and water.”
(Copied from web)

NOx is one of the pollutants getting a lot of blame on global warming.

That is not regen.

The diesel particulate filter and regen are a different operation, but also in the exhaust system. The exhaust from the engine contains small unburned particles typically called soot or smoke. The DPF traps those particles until the DPF begins to clog. When the computer detects that condition it initiates a regen. That means spraying a small amount of raw atomized fuel directly into the exhaust stream ahead of the DPF. When that fuel enters the DPF it creates extreme heat that essentially incinerates those particles, turning them into components less harmful to the environment.

That’s all for today’s lesson.

Bill that is interesting. Who did you work for and what did you do.
You meet a lot of interesting people if you just ask.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2020, 08:46 PM   #66
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlh View Post
Bill that is interesting. Who did you work for and what did you do.
You meet a lot of interesting people if you just ask.
Lynwood
I sent you a PM rather than clutter this thread with my bio.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 06:47 AM   #67
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
[QUOTE=Mtncrash1;1191019]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
I throw my empties in the recycle bin and let them decide ware it should go. As for the smell, I believe the truck needs to be going faster than 35 to do a regen. I am not sure what you are smelling. If it's the DEF then go to the dealer and get their DEF nozzle. It locks into the hole and it stops that stuff from spilling all over your truck. I never buy it at the pumps. Every time I see them they are crusty. Not wanting to take a chance on getting something in my tank. We have the same truck We use so little DEf that the cost of getting it anywhere is not a big deal.

You’ve obviously never been around a truck or piece of equipment that is sitting still and in regen. Or followed a diesel that is regening.
M
I have never stood buy a piece of equipment and smelled the exhaust. I have never smelled my truck nor had the opportunity to follow a truck that was in regen. I wasn't referring to equipment that sits around . We only talk trucks here correct. As far as I know our trucks don't do a regen sitting in the driveway unless you make the truck do that. I am not sure why anyone would think sitting in the driveway doing a regen is better than getting i on the highway
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 06:52 AM   #68
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post
You don't know what your talking about. Pure speculation and bad info on the internet.

Deleting it does make the internals of the engine run cleaner. That's the point of the emissions is to prevent it from going in the atmosphere. The exhaust gasses are recycled through the engine via the exhaust gas recirculation valve. If you take your EGR valve off, you will see the soot build up in the valve that is being recycled through your engine to be regen'd in the Select Catalyst Reduction SCR. The fact that you have to use more diesel fuel to burn off the recycled gasses is very inefficient. Thats where the 1-2mpg increase is seen on a stock delete. Tunes beyond stock can increase hp dramatically. There are lots of ways to increase power without adding fuel. It's what the manufacturers do each year to get bumps in hp. The aftermarket industry is just better at it because it's their focus.

Many of us who have deleted are just fixing problems that we expected the manufacturer to not create. We are not trying to create more power or don't care about the environment. We just want the $50k automobile to function as intended and be dependable.
There is an aftermarket industry to meet that demand. No one who repairs their vehicle is going to jail in the USA. Maybe some other commie country, but not here.
You are so misinformed on this subject. I don't know where to start. So I just won't.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 09:38 AM   #69
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
This is just a reminder that the Community Rules (https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...ork&page=rules) state "Personal attacks on others will not be tolerated. Challenge others' points of view and opinions, but do so respectfully and thoughtfully. " Lets try to keep everything civil.

Carl n Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2020, 04:36 PM   #70
Mtncrash1
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21598
[QUOTE=Slow Hand;1191052]
Quote:
I have never stood buy a piece of equipment and smelled the exhaust. I have never smelled my truck nor had the opportunity to follow a truck that was in regen. I wasn't referring to equipment that sits around . We only talk trucks here correct. As far as I know our trucks don't do a regen sitting in the driveway unless you make the truck do that. I am not sure why anyone would think sitting in the driveway doing a regen is better than getting i on the highway
I couldn’t agree more about getting on the highway for regen. At work we can’t always do that and, quite often we use a truck or two as cooling stations or warming in the winter. They are set up to regen when needed. If you’ve never followed a truck in regen count yourself lucky. Happens to me all the time but, then I travel for work.

2017 HC 345RL
2015 F-250