Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2020, 04:07 PM   #1
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
1000 trails camp grounds ????

Hey All,

Does anyone know if 1000 trails campground's are open to the public. We want to go to Texas to see the Johnson Space Center and there is a 1000 Trail's campground near there. This is what I was told. Was wondering 2 thing's, what is the name of the campground because I don't see it listed as 1000 trail's, And if it is 1000 trail's can we stay there even we are not member's?

46 years married (Dam I been in prison that long)
Charlie 3931fb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 06:48 PM   #2
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Check out Marina Bay RV Resort - no experience but it is a fun area - Happy Hunting - do you use RVTRIP Wizard
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 07:02 PM   #3
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Jetstream RV Resort at NASA - brand new - grear reviews
Old 07-09-2020, 07:04 PM   #4
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Houston is wacked OUT with virus stuff, might want to wait a bit
Old 07-09-2020, 07:32 PM   #5
Ahdmeyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24181
check it out https://www.rvparky.com type in johnson space center looks like many there, hope this helps
al meyer\3931fb
az
Ahdmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2020, 09:20 PM   #6
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Montana High Country View Post
Check out Marina Bay RV Resort - no experience but it is a fun area - Happy Hunting - do you use RVTRIP Wizard
Quote:
Jetstream RV Resort at NASA - brand new - grear reviews
Quote:
Houston is wacked OUT with virus stuff, might want to wait a bit
Thanks for the campground information in Houston. and we were told about the virus stuff. I think that we will wait a while.

Old 07-09-2020, 10:20 PM   #7
sourdough
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie 3931fb View Post
Thanks for the campground information in Houston. and we were told about the virus stuff. I think that we will wait a while.

That's probably a good idea. So many wackies carrying on right now that those metropolitan areas are just way messed up. DS called DW this morning and said to be careful coming back thru DFW; people were crazy. Fighting, arguing; just going nuts. He's lived there most of his adult life. Houston is worse. We'll be skirting the metro area going home and hopefully stay among sane folks...
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 11:41 AM   #8
jimandlaurie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12948
Send a message via AIM to jimandlaurie Send a message via MSN to jimandlaurie Send a message via Yahoo to jimandlaurie
We are Thousand Trails(TT) members. My understanding from reading TT's FB site posts is that many TT parks do have "retail" sites available to non-members. Best thing is to just research and call ahead. Good hunting!
jimandlaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 01:25 PM   #9
JABURKHOLDER
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18572
This is just a comment about my experience with Thousand Trails. Some of the details may be off. It has been a few years since I ditched them.

Thousand Trails is nation wide but you have to purchase membership by region. I believe there are 5 regions and each region costs hundreds of dollars. You get 21 days of free camping then I believe its $3/day after that. I got a one year membership free with the RV purchase. I added a second region at a discounted rate to that membership. (mistake)
I ended up using them only a few times. Most were in the middle of nowhere, small sites, very few (if any) amenities, run down, no site reservations (drive around and pick your own) and basically esthetically unpleasing.

Some examples:
Twin Mills in Howe, IN...no sewer hook ups, dump station only. All sites are back in and the sites and roads are lined with trees making it a white knuckle experience just maneuvering around.

Moody Beach RV Campground in Wells, ME...can't comment as it was that unmemorable.

Chestnut Lake RV Resort in Port Republic, NJ...most unfriendly campground I have ever been to. No one waves or say hi. All back in sites. Main road has telephone/light poles in the most awkward places. Makes maneuvering sketchy at best. Best bet to get parked is to find empty sites one in front of the other and just pull thru one to get into yours. Just hope no one parks in the site behind you while you are there. You'll need it to get out. No mosquito abatement in the park.

Timothy Lakes Resort - South in East Stroudsburg, PA...make sure you get the Resort South not the Resort North, your Montana won't fit in the North Resort. Weird thing is though, ALL the amenities are at the North Resort. Cramped quarters, back in sites.

Lake Towakoni RV Campground in Point, TX...truly the middle of nowhere in East Texas. The closest town is Canton. The only thing going for Canton is the flea market and Walmart. (sorry folks who live in Canton, I mean no disrespect) Most run down RV park I have ever been to. Everything is rotting, dirty and dusty. I mention dusty because just starting your truck kicks up a dust storm. Half the 50a site are down. Gullies run through the park for what appears to be flash flood run off.

Outdoor World Williamsburg in Williamsburg, VA...now I will admit that this place was convenient to the Williamsburg triangle. But, narrow roads, narrow sites, back in only, no place to conveniently park my truck.

Yukon Trails in Lyndon Station, WI...another unmemorable RV park except it was convenient to Wisconsin Dells.

I know I have stated in other posts that I don't look for resort amenities when picking RV parks. All I need is a pull thru, full hook up, 50a site. But none of these places met those requirements. All these parks were old and not designed for our big Montanas, but they listed no size limit.

I will NEVER have anything to do with a Thousand Trails RV park again. I would rather stay in a Flying J parking lot.

I know I went off the reservation a bit, but when I read the words Thousand Trails, I snapped.

The opinions and experiences expressed here are strictly my own and in no way are meant to disparage anyone who currently uses Thousand Trails RV parks.

Charlie, I know this didn't answer your question, sorry.

Rule #1. The Chief is always right.
Rule #2. When in doubt, refer to rule #1.
JABURKHOLDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 01:58 PM   #10
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Charlie - my son, daughter-in-law and new grandson live in Clear Lake area just a few miles from NASA.

x2 on Jetstream RV Park. Maybe 20 minutes to NASA. We stayed there for a couple of weeks last December when the baby was born...pre Covid. When we go back we will always stay there. The other thing I like about Jetstream is I can watch the trainer jets coming off of Ellington Field...daytime flights only.

In the past we have stayed at Space Center RV Park. It was fine. they need to update a few things - but it is next door to Cracker Barrel which was a plus for us. We had a smaller travel trailer...not sure my big Monte would fit as easily. It would be my last resort.

We have also stayed at USA Marina Bay in Kemah in the Monte. It is nice and we would go back...but I think there is a lot of highway construction on Hwy 146 as they are building a big bridge over Clear Lake. I would stay clear until the bridge is done in maybe 2 years. It was way farther from my son's house, so we will not go back unless it is the only option.

There are a couple of USA RV Resorts just south of League City that looked good based on our drive-by assessment...but farther away from son's house in Clear Lake...not our first choice.

I will also say that there is a chain of parks around Houston owned by Quality RV Resorts and we have stayed at 3 of them - all very nice. I love their dog wash stations!
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 06:55 AM   #11
jeffba
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20753
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post

I will also say that there is a chain of parks around Houston owned by Quality RV Resorts and we have stayed at 3 of them - all very nice. I love their dog wash stations!
afraid to ask why
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat CCLB PSD DRW KJ5CQH
jeffba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:24 AM   #12
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Ditto jimandlaurie!!...............TT rv parks we have stayed at with our RPI membership for$15.night also allow non-TT and RPI camping at a higher cost. Just check with the park to be sure.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 09:12 AM   #13
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
Ditto jimandlaurie!!...............TT rv parks we have stayed at with our RPI membership for$15.night also allow non-TT and RPI camping at a higher cost. Just check with the park to be sure.
Do you have to be a 1000 trail's member to get RPI?

Old 07-15-2020, 09:26 AM   #14
Camp CA
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25828
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie 3931fb View Post
Do you have to be a 1000 trail's member to get RPI?
No. Many parks honor TT and RPI memberships for a deep discount In our case we got 3 year RPI and Coast to Coast memberships (then a low annual fee for each afterwards) when we joined Colorado River Adventures (CRA). The RPI membership works for us to augment our primary CRA membership where we camp for free other than a low annual fee.

https://www.resortparks.com/
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 11:56 AM   #15
Charlie 3931fb
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25947
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABURKHOLDER View Post

Charlie, I know this didn't answer your question, sorry.
Hey man that OK.. So sorry to hear your story. I have heard that TT was with problem's and heard some story while out on camp outs about them also from other unhappy folk's as well. But thanks for your feedback.....

Old 07-19-2020, 03:37 PM   #16
Biker bill
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24657
I was a 1000 trails member from 2005 to 2017. The parks were great in the beginning but started going downhill. I finally sold when they opened to the public I paid a lot of money for my membership got pissed with the weekenders making noise and not caring about others.
Old 07-20-2020, 04:59 PM   #17
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
It's right around the corner from me. Nice place with a few really nice full timers. https://thousandtrails.com/texas/lak...amping-resort/