Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 06-24-2020, 02:54 PM   #1
Pitchbb9
Established Member

M.O.C. #19401
Trailer shook with a boom

2010 3400RL
I had just drained my black tank and was backwashing the tank. I heard a boom / thud and the RV moved a little. I thought the worse, my tank had fallen and the connections have cracked. I immediately went out and pulled the drain and shut the flusher off. I observed water dripping from the underbelly.
I have pulled down the underbelly sheeting and found my tank has not fallen and appears to be intact. The connection for the stool looks good. I have not looked at the vent connection yet.

Any Ideas?

Could there have been trapped air in the tank and it was forced out of the vent connection?

Maybe there is a hairline crack that I haven’t found yet?

Pitchbb9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:29 PM   #2
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Check and make sure you don't have a crack on the upper side of the tank.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:36 PM   #3
Pitchbb9
Established Member

M.O.C. #19401
I assume I need to fill the tank and see if there is a leak in the top of the tank.
I also failed to mention that there was dirty water in the stool.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:44 PM   #4
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
The black or gray tanks should never be flushed with their drain valves closed. Upon filing the black tank to check for a leak, you'll find out why. The dirty water in the stool is from the pressure in the black tank trying to find a way out. Even with a vent and or an overflow tube, hose pressure will quickly overcome them and cause the tank to fail.
firestation12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 05:51 PM   #5
Pitchbb9
Established Member

M.O.C. #19401
So based on the fact I had water leaking from under the RV, I have cracked my tank?
Old 06-24-2020, 06:53 PM   #6
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchbb9 View Post
So based on the fact I had water leaking from under the RV, I have cracked my tank?

I suppose there is a VERY small chance the vent pipe in the top of the tank (which is usually held in by a type of putty compound) was pushed out, which would have released products from your flushing process without damaging the tank. But, I'm betting the outcome of this will be a tank replacement. A typical black tank has a L X W measurement of 20" X 40" = 400 square inches. With just 6 psi of overpressure (because the drain is closed), this results in 2400 pounds of lifting pressure applied to the tank's top. Yes, there is a vent in the top of the tank that extends to the camper's roof, but it takes approximately 6 psi of pressure in the tanks to cause the water to rise to the roof (.434 psi per foot of rise). If the black tank's contents were to block the vent, just imagine what the garden hose supplying 50 psi to the tank's 400 square inches could exert to the tank's top (400 X 50 = 20,000 lifting pounds. After emptying my black tanks, I have on occasion closed the tank dump to partially fiil the tanks for a second flush, BUT, I always set my smart phone's timer for no more than 2 1/2 minutes so I don't get distracted and forget. It's risky to do this without a fail proof reminder!
Old 06-24-2020, 07:18 PM   #7
Pitchbb9
Established Member

M.O.C. #19401
Is the best removal method to cut the basement floor and lift the tank out?

Would a plastic weld work on a cracked tank?
Old 06-24-2020, 07:33 PM   #8
Daryles
Montana Master

M.O.C. #24086
You said you were flushing, boom. Water dripping down from underbelly. You checked for obvious damage. Is your flushing system, hose, still intact? A hose under pressure coming off the flushing device and whipping into the side of the skirt could cause a boom and a shudder. And explain the water dripping down.
Hoping this is it. Easy fix.
Your year RV has a tank that has a tub and lid glued on top ( 2 piece). Worse case, the lid blew off. Hopefully not. Only one way to find out. Drop the coroplast and inspect. Get an endoscope (Amazon). Also while you have the bottom off, go ahead and give everything an upgrade. Valves, tank heaters, tank gauges, extra insulation etc....
Hoping for the best..
Let us know what happens
Daryles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:45 PM   #9
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Quote:
2010 3400RL
I had just drained my black tank and was backwashing the tank. I heard a boom / thud and the RV moved a little. I thought the worse, my tank had fallen and the connections have cracked. I immediately went out and pulled the drain and shut the flusher off. I observed water dripping from the underbelly.
I have pulled down the underbelly sheeting and found my tank has not fallen and appears to be intact. The connection for the stool looks good. I have not looked at the vent connection yet.

Any Ideas?

Could there have been trapped air in the tank and it was forced out of the vent connection?

Maybe there is a hairline crack that I haven’t found yet?
This is exactly what happened to me when someone left the flusher running and went into rig....BOOM, thought someone had rammed us with a truck . Water was running down front DS jack, some idiot left the water running, took about 8-10 min. Split the tank at the seam where the top half meets the bottom half. I time it now . Learned the hard way.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 08:59 PM   #10
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
Keystone sometimes uses two piece welded tanks. They do not mount those tanks according to the manufacturers recommendations. As such, merely filling the tanks can cause them to break and yes, cause the boom you heard.
Old 06-24-2020, 10:05 PM   #11
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
The tank will come out from under the rig. There is no need to remove the floor above it. As others have written, the top of the tank has separated from the tub and likely will need to be replaced.

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 08:55 AM   #12
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Quote:
Is the best removal method to cut the basement floor and lift the tank out?

Would a plastic weld work on a cracked tank?

As Carl & Susan replied, the tank must be removed from under the camper. The underbelly membrane (Coroplast...short for corrugated plastic) was the first step which you have done. To answer your question,"Would a plastic weld work on a cracked tank?" No, your tank will not be repairable, it will need to be replaced. Once the Coroplast is removed, the process of replacing the tank should apparent. If it isn't apparent, then don't attempt to do it yourself. Be nice to yourself, you are not the first one to do this.
Old 06-27-2020, 08:59 AM   #13
Ozarkwoods
Established Member

M.O.C. #26357
If the vent was blocked or plugged for some reason I can see the pressure from filling could burst the tank. But if the vent was fully functional and working correctly I can’t fathom pressure building. Even if you happen to over flow the tank it should go up the vent stack and flow out the 1 1/2” vent pipe. So I would seriously look at your vent being plugged or improperly installed.
Old 06-27-2020, 11:55 AM   #14
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
Yup, Carl beat me to it again. It sounds to me that you have a separated tank. The tank is a two piece tank and the top is plastic welded to the bottom bowl. This boom and water in the belly is a very common thing with units from before 2015 or so. You have to remove the tank from the underside of the unit. When you do so just be careful because there is still a lot of "stuff" in that black tank even if you empty it. If you do it yourself make sure you put either some extra bracing under the tank or strapping to hold the tank up. The only thing that is holding those tank up is a small lip on the edges that sit on the frame of the unit. I have had to replace all three of mine tanks and I've had a service tech do it because I'm not that brave under that unit when it comes to dropping a tank and especially the black tank. I flush my black tank from both directions. The regular tank flush and also a flush elbow that connects to the outbound sewer pipe. I do close my valve when using the regular tank flush BUT I do not leave the area of the tank valves or leave it run over 5-7 minutes then dump and if needed do it two or three times that way and then back flush from the outlet side several time also.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 01:08 PM   #15
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
If I recall correctly at the factory tour at the MOC rally at least 2 years ago we were told that the 2 piece tank is no longer used in the Montana line and we did observe the one piece tanks on the builds on the assembly line. Rondo said and he is absolutely correct "The only thing that is holding those tank up is a small lip on the edges that sit on the frame of the unit.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2020, 02:54 PM   #16
firestation12
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #24588
Hydraulics 101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozarkwoods View Post
If the vent was blocked or plugged for some reason I can see the pressure from filling could burst the tank. But if the vent was fully functional and working correctly I can’t fathom pressure building. Even if you happen to over flow the tank it should go up the vent stack and flow out the 1 1/2” vent pipe. So I would seriously look at your vent being plugged or improperly installed.

The sewer vent pipe is NOT a pressure relief device. It's purpose is to allow sewer gasses to escape. Water does not magically rise to the vent's top without consequences. For water to rise up to the top of the vent pipe, requires a pressure of approximately 5 psi at the base of the vent. That 5 psi BACK pressure pushing the water up to the top of the vent, is exerted on all directions inside the tank. The back pressure acts cumulatively at right angles to flat surfaces such as the top, bottom and sides. Since the top and bottoms of the tanks have the greatest number of square inches of surface area, the 5 psi times the total area, which in the example I gave of 20 X 40 inches, creates a total lifting force of 2400 lbs. Think of how an air mattress supports the body weight with only a fraction of a psi inside or a tire supports thousands of pounds with only a few pounds of air pressure. Propane gas pressure in your trailer is measured in the amount of pressure required to lift a column of water 11 inches or about .34 psi.
Old 06-27-2020, 03:03 PM   #17
prndl
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19630
Here you go:
https://www.icondirect.com/holding-t...drain-ht543ed/
prndl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:44 PM   #18
jcurryii
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12636
Black water tank leak

Quote:
These tanks are made in a mold and the top is a separate piece that is glued on. From what I have heard from repair guys is that the top where it’s glued is the weakest point. Repair can be made but most likely the tank will have to be removed. You might be better off to replace as there could be other places around the top that have been weakened.
jcurryii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:54 PM   #19
katdon
Established Member

M.O.C. #26255
Had an RV neighbour that cracked his tank doing the same thing. I am thinking that's what you did.
katdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2020, 01:55 PM   #20
Bnrc73
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21597
Had the exact thing happen on my 2010 3400RL. My black tank was made with an open tank and the top was glued on. The glue let go on one side. Only leaked when it was full. Mine wasn’t fixable. Had to replace the tank.
Worthington MN
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote