Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2020, 07:48 AM   #1
Flying Dutchman
Established Member

M.O.C. #25148
Truck tires

What do you folks think of Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT tires (285/60/20)? They were recommended by a guy pulling with a similar setup as I. I’m pulling a 2014 Montana 3582RL with my 3500 RAM SRW and just blew the left front tire on my truck. The tire that blew used to be on the rear of my truck. Both rear tires had worn quickly (within 26,000 miles). I had just switched them to the front and was planning on replacing them before my next camping trip, but obviously I pushed it too far. I’m thankful i did not have the trailer attached. I’m going to install 4 new ones.
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.j...omCompare1=yes

Flying Dutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 12:32 PM   #2
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
My tire guy, who works at a shop that sells Coopers says, don't buy Coopers.
Old 06-12-2020, 01:11 PM   #3
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dutchman View Post
What do you folks think of Cooper Discoverer AT3 XLT tires (285/60/20)? They were recommended by a guy pulling with a similar setup as I. I’m pulling a 2014 Montana 3582RL with my 3500 RAM SRW and just blew the left front tire on my truck. The tire that blew used to be on the rear of my truck. Both rear tires had worn quickly (within 26,000 miles). I had just switched them to the front and was planning on replacing them before my next camping trip, but obviously I pushed it too far. I’m thankful i did not have the trailer attached. I’m going to install 4 new ones.
https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tires.j...omCompare1=yes
IMO you should take your rig - completely loaded for traveling - to some scales and see just how close you are to maxing out your rear axle. You just may not have enough load capacity reserves for your tongue weight.

Here are the tire specs.

Tire Size: 285/60R20
Load Range: E
Max Load: 3640
Tread Depth: 16.3/32
Speed Rating: 125R
Overall Diameter: 33.4
Approved Rim: 8.0 - 10.0
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 04:53 AM   #4
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
Hi,

I run that tire and am on my 2 set already (40,000mls and 35,000mls present, I change pretty early to obtain a good thread)
It is the best tire I had on the RAM 3500 Mega SRW.
Tires I can compare are the OEM Firestone Transforce, Michelin Defender and Continental Allterain.
We towed app 22.000mls through the country on it.
We are thanks to the Mega at ~6900 to 7100 rear axle weight.
I was considering to go to a 295/60 R20 to get a slightly better weight rating.
But on the front they would rub a little and you should do a leveling kit at least.

Once unhitched the Discoverer XLT is the most comfy tire you can experience on the truck.
Oh, and the look

You won't go wrong.
Get them from Discounttire and you can always exchange them.
They have a $70 Mail In Rabat at the moment I think.

Make sure you get them road force balanced and in the best case stand next to them to be sure.

Mike

Montana 3123RL Legacy 'Boon-docking Edition'
RAM 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
suny07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 07:04 AM   #5
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
tHe beSt tirE

Just buy the expensive Michelins for trucks. You won`t have to worry if you bought the right tire or if Bubba down at the tire shop is conning you or if the friend of a friend of your uncle recommendation is just an uninformed opinion. Better yet go to any car dealer and see what the new duallies come with.They spend weeks researching the best tire for the propose. You know what they say, If your going to play you have to pay.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 01:54 PM   #6
Flying Dutchman
Established Member

M.O.C. #25148
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalandLinda View Post
IMO you should take your rig - completely loaded for traveling - to some scales and see just how close you are to maxing out your rear axle. You just may not have enough load capacity reserves for your tongue weight.

Here are the tire specs.

Tire Size: 285/60R20
Load Range: E
Max Load: 3640
Tread Depth: 16.3/32
Speed Rating: 125R
Overall Diameter: 33.4
Approved Rim: 8.0 - 10.0
Thank you and I will certainly do the weight check. The 2017 RAM 3500 Mega diesel is rated to handle my 2,600 lb pin weight, but you never know.
Old 06-13-2020, 02:09 PM   #7
Flying Dutchman
Established Member

M.O.C. #25148
Quote:
Originally Posted by suny07 View Post
Hi,

I run that tire and am on my 2 set already (40,000mls and 35,000mls present, I change pretty early to obtain a good thread)
It is the best tire I had on the RAM 3500 Mega SRW.
Tires I can compare are the OEM Firestone Transforce, Michelin Defender and Continental Allterain.
We towed app 22.000mls through the country on it.
We are thanks to the Mega at ~6900 to 7100 rear axle weight.
I was considering to go to a 295/60 R20 to get a slightly better weight rating.
But on the front they would rub a little and you should do a leveling kit at least.

Once unhitched the Discoverer XLT is the most comfy tire you can experience on the truck.
Oh, and the look

You won't go wrong.
Get them from Discounttire and you can always exchange them.
They have a $70 Mail In Rabat at the moment I think.

Make sure you get them road force balanced and in the best case stand next to them to be sure.

Mike
Thanks. I’m looking hard at these. It’s a difficult subject to get real good information on being there are so any variables, but you have the same truck I have (mine is a 2017 RAM Laramie Longhorn 3500 diesel Megacab). I reckon you can wear down and ruin a tire very quickly by improper inflation. My original Firestone Transforce AT’s on the rear wore out very fast, but again, perhaps I ran them with too little air to support the 2,600 lb Pin weight of My 5th wheel. It means a lot to learn about positive results on this site. Thank you again.
Old 06-13-2020, 02:29 PM   #8
Flying Dutchman
Established Member

M.O.C. #25148
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
Just buy the expensive Michelins for trucks. You won`t have to worry if you bought the right tire or if Bubba down at the tire shop is conning you or if the friend of a friend of your uncle recommendation is just an uninformed opinion. Better yet go to any car dealer and see what the new duallies come with.They spend weeks researching the best tire for the propose. You know what they say, If your going to play you have to pay.
Thank you. I agree with not skimping on expense when it comes to tires especially. I am partial to Michelin’s as I have had excellent results with them for my regular vehicles. I thought I’d toss this ball in the air to see who has had good results. I wanted to find a 20” tire with a very stiff sidewall to help keep sway to a minimum. The Michelin’s have a great ride and it seems this is partially due to a softer sidewall. I did a side by side thumb pressure test that seemed to confirm this. I sure appreciate your input.
Old 06-14-2020, 05:03 AM   #9
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshgto View Post
Hi,

this is not how they do OEM tires today anymore.
OEM tires are decided by 2 factors.
1. best purchasing condition for OEM manufacturer (Corporate contracts, Global plays etc)
2. Tire manufacturer marketing decision to convince buyer of their product and replace with same brand

In the 90s number 2 was a hughe factor for tire companies. they even produced special "OEM Quality" which was containing different rubber compound to optimize fuel consumption and more distance out of the thread.

This is not happening today anymore and what you see in the show room is a combination or compromise of the 2 above.

Mike

Old 06-14-2020, 05:07 AM   #10
suny07
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Dutchman View Post
Thanks. I’m looking hard at these. It’s a difficult subject to get real good information on being there are so any variables, but you have the same truck I have (mine is a 2017 RAM Laramie Longhorn 3500 diesel Megacab). I reckon you can wear down and ruin a tire very quickly by improper inflation. My original Firestone Transforce AT’s on the rear wore out very fast, but again, perhaps I ran them with too little air to support the 2,600 lb Pin weight of My 5th wheel. It means a lot to learn about positive results on this site. Thank you again.
Hi,

inflation is a mayor factor.
You can run front and back at 65psi unloaded.
Once loaded the rear need to be at 80psi once you go with the 5er.

Mike

Old 06-20-2020, 06:04 AM   #11
Chasnracin
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #12394
I run the Coopers as a winter studded tire (absolutely needed when living in AK; not so much in the lower 48). While a good tire for the truck, I would not want to pull the 5ver very far with them. They do not seem to be the same quality as the Michelin's LTX AT2'sI run as a summer tire when towing. I have had great success with the Michelin's on 2 trucks. A bit more per tire, but I feel they are worth it.

2013 F350 SRW King Ranch
2011 3400RL
Chasnracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 08:02 AM   #12
bshgto
Montana Master

M.O.C. #16013
always go for the gold

[QUOTE=suny07;1186870]Hi,

this is not how they do OEM tires today anymore.
OEM tires are decided by 2 factors.
1. best purchasing condition for OEM manufacturer (Corporate contracts, Global plays etc)
2. Tire manufacturer marketing decision to convince buyer of their product and replace with same brand

In the 90s number 2 was a hughe factor for tire companies. they even produced special "OEM Quality" which was containing different rubber compound to optimize fuel consumption and more distance out of the thread.

This is not happening today anymore and what you see in the show room is a combination or compromise of the 2 above. Quote

Really who cares what the criteria was almost 30 years ago for tires from manufacture. The tow capacities of new trucks have drastically changed since then so manufactures have had to step up to real world and current conditions. No body was towing a 41` 16,000 lb camper or 45` toy hauler back then or even a few years ago. I don`t see much if any room for compromise at todays levels. Remember the Firestone fail with the tires that came with the SUV`s, they have learned their lesson. So I`ll stick with the ones that came with my dually (Michielins) and not have to think about tires until they have worn out.
F350 Ford Dually 4:10`s w/bags (payload 5595 lbs) Sumo Springs 63 gal aux tank
Reese Goosebox Mor/Ryde SRE 4000 X Factors Monroe shocks.... real smooth ride
bshgto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 08:51 AM   #13
Five O'clock Somewhere
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20168
I have pulled horse and cattle trailers long before getting into pulling a 40' RV and have used Cooper tires for years on both my dully and my trailers with excellent results. Never had a blow out, yet I do check air pressure ever trip and change then out ever 5 years regardless. If don't keep the trailer under cover the sun is not your tires friend.
Five O'clock Somewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 09:57 AM   #14
Raven17
Established Member

M.O.C. #24494
I like the Michelin that came on my f350 DRW. Pulled over 25k miles. Put new ones on after 81k miles. Hope these do as well
Raven17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:02 PM   #15
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
My tire guys swears by the Coopers and so do I. I don't have them on the 2018 3500HD yet because the tires on it are like new yet but I'll be going with Coopers again when these get down to time to trade in. My tire guy runs Coopers on his trucks and I have a brother that farms and tows both a dump trailer and also a horse trailer and he has the Coopers on his truck and would not go with anything else either. I had nothing but good luck my Coopers on the old truck and they looked like new when I traded it in and they had about 30,000 miles on them.
Rondo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 09:48 AM   #16
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
I've been disappointed every time I've strayed from Michelins.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 06:24 PM   #17
Renegade1LI
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22165
I'll just throw in Sailuns, I put them on our 2016 F-350 DRW 1 year ago. Having gone through all the seasons & pulling multiple trailers I am very happy with them, I also changed the shocks to bilstiens. The stock shocks were shot at 34K & now the truck rides so much better, so for price & quality I am pleasantly surprised with sailuns for the truck.
Renegade1LI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 01:48 PM   #18
ForBruce
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26644
the tires on my 2020 ford f-250 are Goodyear wrangler rated

275/70r18 3640 lbs. per tire (stock tires)

285/75r18 (goodyear wrangler )4079 lbs.per tire giving a tire load increase of 878 lbs

the speedometer difference is 50 is actually 52.4 60/is 62.9 70/is 73.4

i will change out just for the piece of mind
ForBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:50 PM   #19
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
On this and the last truck, have had Continentals (OEM), Goodyear Wranglers, Yokohama, Kumho, Firestone HT and now, Michelin. The Contis and Goodyears wore and rode like iron wagon wheels and had zip wet or snowy road traction after about 20K miles. The Kumho's and Yokos seemed to do a good job. The Firestones were bald at 25-30K miles. So far, the Michelin Defenders now on the truck have about 45K miles and have a decent ride and are wearing within reason with good wet road and snow ability. I haven't used ATs since owning a n '01 F150 about 16-17 years ago - and they had horrible road noise and mediocre wearability
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 10:58 PM   #20
Dam Worker
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17164
On my old TV F350 SRW with Michelin’s I had a blowout on the drivers side rear tire. Tires looked great but we’re getting a bit old. I felt a slight vibration and let off the throttle and bang. Wiped out that side of my pickup bed. I did put new Michelin’s on but used Costco’s model that Michelin built for them with about 400 lbs more capacity than the same style Michelin tire as they sold both types. Not to worried now with DRW on new TV.
Happy and safe roads to you.

Tom Marty

Tags
285/60/20, rapid wear, srw, tires, truck