Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2020, 12:47 AM   #1
kingdaddy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #10966
Question Question on changing out an overloaded tire?

OK, very awkward question...but here's what I'm wondering.

I have GY G614 235/80 16 rated at 3750 lbs. max at 110 lbs.

For the sake of argument, let's say I'm at 110 lbs so I'm going with that weight rating of 3750 x 4= 15,000 total tire capacity.

My trailer is around 15,000 as I typically load it with around 2,700 on the pin so I figure about 12,300 (again, round numbers) on the tires.

Assuming equal weight distribution (which I know is unlikely) I would have around 3,075 lbs per tire.

My question is, let's say I blow a tire rolling down the road. My remaining tire on that side is instantly overloaded by 2,400 lbs (6,150 weight-3,750 tire cap.).

The exact numbers are fairly unimportant, the question is what are your thoughts on changing out that briefly (hopefully) overloaded tire when possible due to concerns about potential damage while overloaded?

Obviously, how long it was driven in that condition and/or sat with the additional weight on it would be a factor.

Haven't seen this issue addressed before and was just wondering? Thanks in advance for any experiences or advice on this!

Old 05-25-2020, 04:33 AM   #2
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdaddy View Post
OK, very awkward question...but here's what I'm wondering.

I have GY G614 235/80 16 rated at 3750 lbs. max at 110 lbs.

For the sake of argument, let's say I'm at 110 lbs so I'm going with that weight rating of 3750 x 4= 15,000 total tire capacity.

My trailer is around 15,000 as I typically load it with around 2,700 on the pin so I figure about 12,300 (again, round numbers) on the tires.

Assuming equal weight distribution (which I know is unlikely) I would have around 3,075 lbs per tire.

My question is, let's say I blow a tire rolling down the road. My remaining tire on that side is instantly overloaded by 2,400 lbs (6,150 weight-3,750 tire cap.).

The exact numbers are fairly unimportant, the question is what are your thoughts on changing out that briefly (hopefully) overloaded tire when possible due to concerns about potential damage while overloaded?

Obviously, how long it was driven in that condition and/or sat with the additional weight on it would be a factor.

Haven't seen this issue addressed before and was just wondering? Thanks in advance for any experiences or advice on this!
Yes! the opposing tire was overloaded during the failure of the other tire. The USTMA (tire industry) recommends that that type of overloaded tire should be dismounted from the wheel for an internal visual inspection.

NOTE: All Original Equipment trailer tires are required to have a load capacity equal to or greater than the vehicle's certified GAWRs. A few years ago the RVIA organization mandated a 10% increase in the minimum tire requirement for OE tires.

Once the trailer manufacturer fits the OE tires to the vehicle and certifies them. That designated size and it's installed load capacity via recommended cold inflation pressures become the minimum standard for that trailer.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:44 AM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Just long enough to pull over and change the tire, I would not worry about it. If you decided to drive slowly down the road to the next available tire store, then it would be worth an inspection.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 08:48 AM   #4
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Had this happen, not sure how far I went on the one tire. I replaced the bad tire with a new one. At the time, my bad the spare was old, not not want to use . I removed the flat,and ruined tire, unhooked the fifth wheel, went and got the tire replaced. I continued on my trip, about a 1000 miles. When I got home I replaced the compromised tire that ran with all the weight,making it my spare.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:23 AM   #5
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Went from Goshen to Indianapolis years ago with a failed IS so all the weight on one G614. 60,000 miles later I replaced the overloaded tire due to age.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 09:29 AM   #6
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by DQDick View Post
Went from Goshen to Indianapolis years ago with a failed IS so all the weight on one G614. 60,000 miles later I replaced the overloaded tire due to age.

I was not too concerned about mine either, but I did need a spare that was newer then 11 years old, that was more the reason then anything. When I lost that Sailun last year to a road hazard I just didn't dare run that old Mission brand spare , as said it was my bad letting it get that old, when replacing the tires twice on that fifth wheel. Just bought new tires again, and this time on this fifth wheel I went with all five new ones .
Old 05-25-2020, 09:41 AM   #7
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
'My question is, let's say I blow a tire rolling down the road. My remaining tire on that side is instantly overloaded by 2,400 lbs (6,150 weight-3,750 tire cap.). '

answer: just have tires checked out as soon as you can.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 10:52 AM   #8
twindman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5651
Get a tpms system and you won't have this problem as you will know immediately when a tire blows. Or better yet, if a moderately fast leak, you can still stop before it is flat.

Tom and Gail
2013 Mountaineer 362
2012 Silverado 2500
twindman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2020, 12:02 PM   #9
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by twindman View Post
Get a tpms system and you won't have this problem as you will know immediately when a tire blows. Or better yet, if a moderately fast leak, you can still stop before it is flat.

Although a TPMS could of possibly saved me a tire, with a blowout you mostly likely will hear it, if not then the TPMS will alert you. I do run a TPMS now.