Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 04-22-2020, 07:20 PM   #21
KirkFess
Established Member

M.O.C. #19092
I just bought 4 early this month from simple tire. Dated 4819. So about 4 months old.

KirkFess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:18 AM   #22
Todd727
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19394
I found that we reached a tipping point a year or so ago and Amazon is rarely the best deal. Going direct to the seller listed on Amazon is usually better. Also, you can get them mounted at Wal-Mart and if you are unhappy with what you receive, the return is MUCH easier.

eBay has also resurfaced. I just purchased 8 17.5" commercial Sailun tires for a 15 ton equipment trailer. No one else could compete on price with free FedEx shipping.

For the RV sized tires, I found the local Mom & Pop store beat any online price I could find and they didn't charge to mount since I bought the tires there.
Old 04-23-2020, 08:58 AM   #23
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by krahopkin View Post
I just bought a set of Sailuns from Big O which did a price match, $750 installed

Could not get Big O nor the shop I usually deal with to price match. Which I have usually have been able to do. Actually Big O was the highest , they were the lowest three years ago. Started off with a set from SimpleTire, which about a week ago was the best price I could find. They were older then I cared for, so I sent them back. While this was going on Walmart had one of those rollback prices on the Sailun 235/85/16's. Ordered 5 from them, plus the mounting ,and balancing from the shop I usually deal with ended up at $786 for 5 tires.

Took Walmart 2 days to get them to my doorstep . Free shipping.

I reminded the shop I tried to price match with them, didn't seem to care, they have always been pretty competitive. The price for these was pretty close to what I payed for a set three years ago, that went on the previous trailer I sold a month ago.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 08:33 PM   #24
ar1965

M.O.C. #26133
We ordered ours from Simpletire a 4 days before we picked up our Montana High Country. They were to arrive the same day as the pick up of the unit. So it was four days for delivery to GA. I had all five installed for $125.

I am very happy on my decision to replace the stock tires. Even though the stock tires should have been able to carry the load providing for hitch weight. I just didn't want to risk a blow out on an interstate exchange and all the incurred damage.

I was amazed at the weight difference in the Sailun 637s G-rated and the OEM F-rated versions. The Sailuns were nearly twice the weight with only two more plies! Obviously the side wall and the material of the plies were way different. I'm sure the stock tires were never going to last.

I'm also glad I helped the tire guys in getting the spare off. I now know what I'm getting into if I have to do it myself. Even the safety clip wasn't what I was expecting and took a little work to get off (in a sterile tire shop environment.. meaning no cars zipping by at 80 mph). Not to mention the jacking requirement; I thought with my six-point auto-leveling system that the rear four jacks would lift the trailer enough to pull the tires. I couldn't figure it out so we needed a floor jack.
ar1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2020, 08:39 PM   #25
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by ar1965 View Post
We ordered ours from Simpletire a 4 days before we picked up our Montana High Country. They were to arrive the same day as the pick up of the unit. So it was four days for delivery to GA. I had all five installed for $125.

I am very happy on my decision to replace the stock tires. Even though the stock tires should have been able to carry the load providing for hitch weight. I just didn't want to risk a blow out on an interstate exchange and all the incurred damage.

I was amazed at the weight difference in the Sailun 637s G-rated and the OEM F-rated versions. The Sailuns were nearly twice the weight with only two more plies! Obviously the side wall and the material of the plies were way different. I'm sure the stock tires were never going to last.

I'm also glad I helped the tire guys in getting the spare off. I now know what I'm getting into if I have to do it myself. Even the safety clip wasn't what I was expecting and took a little work to get off (in a sterile tire shop environment.. meaning no cars zipping by at 80 mph). Not to mention the jacking requirement; I thought with my six-point auto-leveling system that the rear four jacks would lift the trailer enough to pull the tires. I couldn't figure it out so we needed a floor jack.
I chose to take off my tires, and wheels, and take to a local shop to mount, and balance, yes I used the 6 point level up to where the tires were about 1" off the ground ,worked very well, that and a new Dewalt 1/2" impact made short order removing.
Old 05-06-2020, 04:59 AM   #26
ar1965

M.O.C. #26133
That’s great to hear you were able to manually jack your trailer up with aft four jacks. Now I just need to figure out how to do it. Might have been because the trailer was connected to the truck(?). I was only able to manually bring down the front and rear jacks. No worries, I’ll figure it out.
ar1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:22 AM   #27
BobRairigh

M.O.C. #21844
Looking to replace mine. Why 85 over 85? Is G rated the heavy duties right?
BobRairigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 08:29 AM   #28
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRairigh View Post
Looking to replace mine. Why 85 over 85? Is G rated the heavy duties right?
I think you mean the 85's over the 80's ? I chose the 85's over the 80's . Two reasons they are rated higher @ 4400 instead of the 4080 with the 80's . Also I wanted the little bit taller tire to help with leveling the fifth wheel with these new taller trucks. They are both G rated .The price difference is minimal .
Old 05-21-2020, 10:43 AM   #29
BobRairigh

M.O.C. #21844
I did mean 85 over 80. I like the idea of more height to haul, I am at the bottom of my B&W with my Chevy 2500 with Firestone Airbags. I am wondering if the taller tire takes away from being able to level more since you start higher?
BobRairigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 06:43 PM   #30
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
I think you mean the 85's over the 80's ? I chose the 85's over the 80's . Two reasons they are rated higher @ 4400 instead of the 4080 with the 80's . Also I wanted the little bit taller tire to help with leveling the fifth wheel with these new taller trucks. They are both G rated .The price difference is minimal .
When changing tire size ST235/80R16 to the ST235/85R16 you are doing what the industry calls "plus sizing".

There are procedures to follow when plus sizing. The most important is to set a new recommended cold tire inflation pressure for all of the plus sized tires. An auxiliary tire placard is authorized and recommended. It should contain the new tire sizes, load capacity and a recommended cold inflation pressure derived from the OE tire recommendations.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:29 PM   #31
coyoterick
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #10239
I stopped into the local Big O to order S637 Sailuns, they looked in their computer to order them then told me that Sailun didn't make them anymore so they could no longer get them. You can find the tires on the Big O website but can't order them online since they don't have RV's in their vehicle selection...
coyoterick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:36 PM   #32
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoterick View Post
I stopped into the local Big O to order S637 Sailuns, they looked in their computer to order them then told me that Sailun didn't make them anymore so they could no longer get them. You can find the tires on the Big O website but can't order them online since they don't have RV's in their vehicle selection...
Buy them at Simpletire and have them shipped to your shop to install.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 02:55 PM   #33
PeteandJoan
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17905
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ Traveler View Post
Buy them at Simpletire and have them shipped to your shop to install.
I agree, just make sure shop knows they are coming so they accept them.

And get steel stems capable of 110#.
6-pt Hydraulic leveling
PeteandJoan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2020, 03:01 PM   #34
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
Agree with what Pete and Joan said. Been there and done that.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote