Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 04-05-2020, 01:55 PM   #21
mudrockatc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24660
From consumer reports!Complicating national pedigree further, manufacturers might not build all their models exclusively in any one country. The Goodyear tires we tested were built in Canada, Chile, Germany, and the U.S. Michelin tires were manufactured in Italy, Spain, and the U.S., but none came from France. And the tires we tested from Italian tire maker Pirelli were made in Mexico and Russia. Hard to find tires made only in the USA!!

mudrockatc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 01:59 PM   #22
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudrockatc View Post
From consumer reports!Complicating national pedigree further, manufacturers might not build all their models exclusively in any one country. The Goodyear tires we tested were built in Canada, Chile, Germany, and the U.S. Michelin tires were manufactured in Italy, Spain, and the U.S., but none came from France. And the tires we tested from Italian tire maker Pirelli were made in Mexico and Russia. Hard to find tires made only in the USA!!

But some sure have heartburn over the Sailuns being built in China . Its such a global economy now. My Ram truck is made in Mexico, don't hear any screaming about that , the Powerstroke 6.7 built in Mexico, and most likely Chinese parts on the motor.
PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 02:15 PM   #23
mudrockatc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24660
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
But some sure have heartburn over the Sailuns being built in China . Its such a global economy now. My Ram truck is made in Mexico, don't hear any screaming about that , the Powerstroke 6.7 built in Mexico, and most likely Chinese parts on the motor.
Agreed!! My Ram was also made from parts all over the world! Sailuns will be my next set of tires, not because of country of origin, but because of the many favorable opinions of other folks that have put thousands of miles on them!
Old 04-05-2020, 02:27 PM   #24
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Agreed!! My Ram was also made from parts all over the world! Sailuns will be my next set of tires, not because of country of origin, but because of the many favorable opinions of other folks that have put thousands of miles on them!
Some will cut off their nose to spite their face The quality of the tire escapes some ,too caught up in where its made wearing their China made jeans
Old 04-05-2020, 04:09 PM   #25
StageCoachDriver
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22620
I use Michelins. Got them at Costco. Two things to know about buying tires from Costco: 1) they don't do alignments and 2) they will not sell a tire that is not correct for your vehicle.
StageCoachDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 04:35 PM   #26
Byron B
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18751
Quote:
Originally Posted by socoinc View Post
Why would you give any of your hard earned money to Chinese? Especially what’s happening now. I’d rather spend the extra money & buy AMERICAN like Goodyear. Screw the chinese
Because I have had blowouts on my 1 ton srw more than once. I had 2 blowouts on my Mobile Suites that cost me over $3000 each time. I have not had good experience with Goodyear’s.

I have been Rving for over 40 years. Living full time over 10 years.

I am only concerned with getting a quality product for my money.
Byron B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:32 PM   #27
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Quote:
Originally Posted by socoinc View Post
Why would you give any of your hard earned money to Chinese? Especially what’s happening now. I’d rather spend the extra money & buy AMERICAN like Goodyear. Screw the chinese
Can't get the GY Endurance in all the sizes we need.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:32 PM   #28
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creeker View Post
I'll gladly pay more for made in USA. Not only tires, but everything.
I’d gladly pay more for the best. The best are Sailun!
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:37 PM   #29
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillyg View Post
Can't get the GY Endurance in all the sizes we need.

I wouldn't buy the Goodyear Endurance if they did come in any size needed .
Old 04-05-2020, 05:40 PM   #30
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
I wouldn't buy the Goodyear Endurance if they did come in any size needed .
Me either. Had great luck with Carlisle on lighter trailers with 15” wheels, 16” mean Sailun.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 05:53 PM   #31
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
This happened to my GY and I am not saying that it couldn't happen to any tire on the planet. A Georgia State Trooper was behind me and saw nothing in the roadway either and we were running 45mph. A total freak that's for sure. It was a driver's side tire on top of that. GY paid half of the cost of a new tire. When the new tire came in, it wasn't made here, plus was still $160 out of pocket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180119_135400801_HDR-600x600.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	137.7 KB
ID:	5943   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180119_152340918_HDR-600x600.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	124.0 KB
ID:	5944  
Old 04-05-2020, 07:15 PM   #32
mudrockatc
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24660
Points well taken!! Sailun is the way to go with RV/trailer tires!
Old 04-05-2020, 07:53 PM   #33
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Points well taken!! Sailun is the way to go with RV/trailer tires!
Most RV'ers in the know have come to know the Sailuns ,and their quality. If a US made tire comes along that can produce the same reputation then that will be my choice. Sailun has been around for our Rv's now for several years , before that the only other real game in town it seemed for a G rated tire was the Goodyear G614 , they had a terrible reputation. Granted they have improved ,but they still have the reports of failure ,as where you just don't read about Sailuns , and any issues .

Yes we do get the skeptics, and of course the China made thing. We soon forget where some of the Goodyear's were made. I would buy a Goodyear in a second if I thought I was buying a better tire then the Sailun, but sadly they are not .
Old 04-05-2020, 10:06 PM   #34
b.o.plenty
Established Member

M.O.C. #17854
Quote:
Originally Posted by StageCoachDriver View Post
I use Michelins. Got them at Costco. Two things to know about buying tires from Costco: 1) they don't do alignments and 2) they will not sell a tire that is not correct for your vehicle.
I never get an alignment with new tires. Total waste of money. If your tires are wearing evenly and the veh. drives fine why do you need it? I worked in a couple of shops where the alignment guys were crooks. They would lean on the car to throw the alignment off while it had the heads in place to make it look like it needed an alignment. More often than not the car or truck was worse off when they were done with it. In over 60 years of driving I can only remember getting 2 or 3 alignments. Never had a tire wear problem.
b.o.plenty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:39 AM   #35
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
You had Westlake confused with some other tire that was not steel cased . We make mistakes .
I wonder how you came to that conclusion without an explanation?
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 12:47 AM   #36
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Each tire has an individual plant code on its sidewall that describes the actual plant location of its origin.

http://www.harriger.com/tires.htm
Old 04-06-2020, 01:03 AM   #37
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by StageCoachDriver View Post
Michelin does not manufacture a trailer tire in diameters less than 17.5" and considers it a misapplication to use their LT tires to replace an original equipment ST tire.
Old 04-06-2020, 06:29 AM   #38
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalandLinda View Post
Michelin does not manufacture a trailer tire in diameters less than 17.5" and considers it a misapplication to use their LT tires to replace an original equipment ST tire.
The topic of this thread is TRUCK tires but somehow got off topic.

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 06:57 AM   #39
Eagleback
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15731
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeBeFulltime View Post
The topic of this thread is TRUCK tires but somehow got off topic.

I thought i was starting a loaded gun thread, but if anyone was considering the sailun truck tires the terramax at's are a good buy. I do have an update, I have driven 300 miles on them and the mold tits are still there so i think they will have a good life. and there a little louder on the pavement but you cant hear them inside with the windows closed so all good there and they do ride softer than the nexan tires they replaced.

Thanks
2017, 3500 Ram Big Horn, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, Aisin Transmission, 4:10. Curt Q20, 2014 Mountaineer 331 RLT, Sailun's on the rv and truck.
Eagleback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 10:12 AM   #40
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalandLinda View Post
I wonder how you came to that conclusion without an explanation?

What kind of explanation do you need , you told me they were not steel cased , but they are ,its on the sidewall . You were wrong, we make mistakes ,what else do you need to hear .