Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2020, 03:23 PM   #21
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
My tire PSI's go up in that range. It's normal.

WARNING: I am not an ingineer. Just stayed in a RV last night.

McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 06:31 PM   #22
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
I find that using a 78% Nitrogen mixture works very well.
That is what I use and it’s better than cheap, it’s free.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 02:20 PM   #23
Dixie Flyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19905
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minitrbo View Post
Weeks ago I had a tire blowout. I replaced all the OEM F rated tires with G rated Carlisle. Subsequently I installed a TPMS. The cold pressure in each tire is 110 psi as recommended for the load. When driving in 65 F weather at 65 mph I saw the pressure get as high as 135 psi.

A lot of forums say things like "I believe ..." and so on. I'm interested in finding out if anyone knows for a fact, such as a data sheet from a manufacturer, at what pressure I should become concerned. FWIW the maximum temperature reported by the TPMS is 90 F.

Years ago I had a tire on the front of my car that that caused the car to pull to the right. I replaced the tire with a new one and that stopped the pulling, The tire also had a tendency to run hotter tham the other tires. The cause of the problem was the cord was misaligned or overlapped when the tire was made. The dealer had the tire x-rayed and that is what he told me. you could see the tire was raised on one side making it out of balance also. Anytime it takes more than 8 ounces of weight to balance a tire something is wrong. You can balance a concrete block if you put enough weight on the other side.. So take the tire that is running hot and balance it. See if it is out of round. If it is replace it with another tire and see if that helps your problem.
Dixie Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 02:48 PM   #24
Dee_Dub
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24453
Thanks for the explanation! As a computer geek, I was unaware! 😩
Old 03-16-2020, 06:20 PM   #25
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minitrbo View Post
Weeks ago I had a tire blowout. I replaced all the OEM F rated tires with G rated Carlisle. Subsequently I installed a TPMS. The cold pressure in each tire is 110 psi as recommended for the load. When driving in 65 F weather at 65 mph I saw the pressure get as high as 135 psi.

A lot of forums say things like "I believe ..." and so on. I'm interested in finding out if anyone knows for a fact, such as a data sheet from a manufacturer, at what pressure I should become concerned. FWIW the maximum temperature reported by the TPMS is 90 F.
I've never seen my pressure at 135psi but the tire temperature has been up to 110F. I generally fill to 105 cold and if I saw 135psi, I would be more concerned about my 110psi limited cast aluminum stock rims.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:03 PM   #26
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
I have had my pressure get close to 135. Would not worry unless it was a single tire.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 08:44 AM   #27
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
I have never worried about the tire pressure on a hot tire. I still don't care. I am sure that these tires have been subject to higher temperatures than we would find on the road. After cold PSI is 110 and no one seems to wo0rry about that. OI have towed many miles and at no time have my tires been to hot to touch. I have never checked tire pressures on a hot tire. Only cold tire pressure matters. People have more to worry about than air pressures in a hot tire.

If I worried as much as most folks about stuff like this I would stop RVing. To much stress.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:18 AM   #28
DebNJim B
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
I find that using a 78% Nitrogen mixture works very well.
Along with this the Nitrogen is preferred because the molecules are larger than oxygen molecules and produce less leakage. So if the oxygen leaks through the rubber tire and you refill with 78% nitrogen eventually you will raise the nitrogen content in the tire well above that 78% level at no cost. Only O leaking out and 3:1 mixture of Ni to O going back in.

DebNJim B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2020, 10:23 AM   #29
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNJim B View Post
Along with this the Nitrogen is preferred because the molecules are larger than oxygen molecules and produce less leakage. So if the oxygen leaks through the rubber tire and you refill with 78% nitrogen eventually you will raise the nitrogen content in the tire well above that 78% level at no cost. Only O leaking out and 3:1 mixture of Ni to O going back in.
/shakeshead.
/facepalm.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2020, 08:38 AM   #30
Dixie Flyer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #19905
Quote:
Originally Posted by McRod View Post
/shakeshead.
/facepalm.
Lack of grease in the wheel bearings can also cause high temperatures in a tire. So be sure you have enough grease in the bearings. Repacking the bearing will satisfy that question.
Dixie Flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 10:57 AM   #31
Dan Giacalone
Established Member

M.O.C. #24705
After reading all these we are "shaking" down our new to us 2012 Montana 3582rl next week. I will b pulling it with my 2003 Ford F350 dually.
What truck and trailer tire pressures should use. I have heard many suggestions. Only going about 40 minutes away but will be on the highway. I have a tst system I need to set up.
Dan Giacalone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:08 AM   #32
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Giacalone View Post
After reading all these we are "shaking" down our new to us 2012 Montana 3582rl next week. I will b pulling it with my 2003 Ford F350 dually.
What truck and trailer tire pressures should use. I have heard many suggestions. Only going about 40 minutes away but will be on the highway. I have a tst system I need to set up.
I would start with the pressure on the trailer and truck placards.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:33 PM   #33
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Quote:
You need to know at least the rear axle weight with the FW hooked up, and set your rear axle tire pressure according the tire mfgrs. table.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:35 PM   #34
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
Quote:
You need to know at least the rear axle weight with the FW hooked up, and set your rear axle tire pressure according the tire mfgrs. table. If you can't get weighed, at least set the tire pressure at max psi for duallies, embossed on the tires.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 03:04 PM   #35
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
I would set the pressure at max for both truck and camper. I see no reason not to. Tires will run cooler and carry more weight at max pressure.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 11:14 AM   #36
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
I think that's a huge racket. I had nitrogen in the tires on a truck I bought once, the tire pressure still went up and down.

Then you have to find nitrogen to add if you need it, not so easy to find sometimes.
Not my experience -at all... in fact I would say nitrogen has been a game changer for me.

Short version:
-a fraction of variance in pressure due to sitting or temperature changes
-significantly longer tire life

Long version:
I have now had nitrogen in my last couple pickups for over 8 years, and my last RV for 3 years. My tires go from -40F at home in winter to over 110F in AZ late spring. I add air maybe once per year to my RV and a couple times per year on the truck. (that's about 10,000 miles per year on the RV, and 25,000 on the truck). This past winter, checked tires on the RV at -35F before the trip south, and after sitting for over 3 months in AZ, checked them again. The pressure had increased by about 2lbs, so a few seconds to bleed off and good to go.

Before nitrogen, I checked air every couple weeks and usually had to air up or air down when temps changed more than about 20 degrees one way or the other. Prior RV had E rated tires, and on 80lbs with straight air, could easily see pressures lose 5lbs or more after sitting a few weeks... or increase by 5lbs+ if ambient temps went way up.

I don't have a TPMS on the trailer, and since going to nitrogen have had no flats. And, again, a normal pretrip is to check all tires, then usually needing to do nothing further. I may go to TPMS on the new Montana, but again nitrogen has been good to me without it.

BTW, I top up with 78% nitrogen from my Viair when on the road, don't worry about adding the "special stuff". I know I'm diluting and eventually would lose the value of paying for the initial nitrogen... but again the need to add air is so rare that in 4 years on the truck and 3 on the last RV I haven't observed tire pressure changes varying more than when first installed.

One last thing; last truck I went over 50,000 miles on the factory Firestone tires, towing about 30,000 miles of that. 3 year old RV tires look new. Both are much better results than units before nitrogen.

So, I'm a fan, and will continue to pay the small price to have it done every time I buy new tires.

Of course, I present a sample size of 1, and YMMV ;-)

Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 12:58 PM   #37
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We use G614 tires on the Montana at at 110PSI. We have the TPMS.Yes the tire temp increase with speed and temp being a factor. We use regular old air is the tires.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:30 PM   #38
Mikelff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26851
Nitrogen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Code80 View Post
I have been thinking about getting my 5th wheel tires filled with nitrogen. Nitrogen is not effected by temperature. One place wanted $15.00 per tire and that seemed reasonable.
The deal with Nitrogen, if you took high school chemistry, is that the molecule is larger than o2 and therefore will hold pressure in tires longer. Tires are porous and over time loose pressure from o2 escaping through the walls of the tire. Nitrogen is also less affected by heat causing increased pressure, though pressure will increase with heat, but not as much as O2, thus tires will run cooler. Nitrogen is also less affected by altitude. This is one reason all aircraft tires are nitrogen filled. If you cannot find nitrogen to top off your tire pressure, just use regular air, you will be fine. My local Cosco uses nitrogen and fills my tires for free. $15 for nitrogen filled tires is definitely NOT wort it in my view, but that is your call. Thats the basics for nitrogen filled tires.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 01:38 PM   #39
kowbra
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelff View Post
The deal with Nitrogen, if you took high school chemistry, is that the molecule is larger than o2 and therefore will hold pressure in tires longer. Tires are porous and over time loose pressure from o2 escaping through the walls of the tire. Nitrogen is also less affected by heat causing increased pressure, though pressure will increase with heat, but not as much as O2, thus tires will run cooler. Nitrogen is also less affected by altitude. This is one reason all aircraft tires are nitrogen filled. If you cannot find nitrogen to top off your tire pressure, just use regular air, you will be fine. My local Cosco uses nitrogen and fills my tires for free. $15 for nitrogen filled tires is definitely NOT wort it in my view, but that is your call. Thats the basics for nitrogen filled tires.
Great explanation, thanks!
Agree with all of the advantages, and in my case has translated into no issues with flat tires since converting, many more miles of tread life, not needing to obsess about tire pressures every trip, etc.

So, I'm curious why you think that's not worth $15 per tire?

Brad
kowbra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 08:59 AM   #40
Mikelff
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #26851
Nitrogen

Hi Brad, I guess it’s a personal choice and what it’s worth to you. In most cases, with cars anyway, it’s not worth the expense and hassle. With high pressure tires like most of us run on our 5ers (80 psi and up) it does have some benefit in my opinion . I have used nitrogen filled tires for years in my airplane as required. The reason is because of altitude and related pressure swings in tires and to prevent wheel hang up with the landing gear and having a tire get stuck in the well. Mine don’t retract so I don’t have that issue. I find my tires run cooler, especially in hot weather , and keep a more constant pressure, especially going through the mountains. I get my tires filled for free at my local Costco or the airport. I only run nitrogen in my RV, not my truck. Eventually you will need to add a little nitrogen to bump up your pressure, your paying whatever for just a few pounds. You can add air in a pinch but when you are done with your trip, you need to evacuate your tire again and re-refill it to get the full benefit of using nitrogen. For me, it’s an easy fix at no cost, so I do it. Would I pay for it? Probably not. Again, its a personal choice and how much of a value you place on it. Hope that helps.
Mikelff is offline   Reply With Quote