Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 03-05-2020, 04:52 PM   #21
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Not necessarily with all steel G rated tires. See Sailun inflation chart below:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Sailun Load and Inflation 23580 23585 ST.pdf (23.4 KB, 49 views)

Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 09:35 PM   #22
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
Not necessarily with all steel G rated tires. See Sailun inflation chart below:
How is the correct recommended cold inflation pressures for your vehicles established?

Tire manufacturers do not establish recommended cold inflation pressures for your vehicles. They provide load inflation charts for the tires they build. Those inflation charts are then standardized by the TRA for dissemination by those that do establish recommended cold inflation pressures for your vehicles. Vehicle manufacturers.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 05:11 AM   #23
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khanscel View Post
Tires will wear out on outsides if not inflated to 110 psi

In other words the 80 psig rated front tires on my signature truck that are factory recommended to be set at 65psig will wear that way. Not on 3 sets in 126,000 miles and the significant unloaded weight is on the front.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:40 AM   #24
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
In other words the 80 psig rated front tires on my signature truck that are factory recommended to be set at 65psig will wear that way. Not on 3 sets in 126,000 miles and the significant unloaded weight is on the front.
I'm not a tire expert, but I know a few things about tires. ST tires (made for trailers) are made differently than car or truck tires. In fact, Sailun specifically states that its trailer tires are not designed to be used on any other vehicle type.

All tires have a "max psi" on the sidewall. Normally this has no relationship to the suggested tire pressure specified by the vehicle manufacturer. You would never run a car or truck at the "max psi" as indicated.

The "max psi" on trailer tires specifically relates to the maximum load the tire can carry. Radial ST tires up to load range F have nylon body cords and steel on the tread. Must always run at the "max psi" as indicated on sidewall.

Radial ST tires load range G and up have steel cords everywhere. Weigh the rig fully loaded for a trip and inflate per the inflation chart.

At least that's the way I understand it. Others please chime in.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 10:28 AM   #25
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
I'm not a tire expert

Nor am I but I actually try to do my due diligence research tho not to the depth of others

Sailun specifically states that its trailer tires are not designed to be used on any other vehicle type.

You're right.

All tires have a "max psi" on the sidewall. Normally this has no relationship to the suggested tire pressure specified by the vehicle manufacturer. You would never run a car or truck at the "max psi" as indicated.

That's absolutely incorrect. The 275/75-18 tires on my truck have an 80psig max pressure molded on the side wall and that is the 'B' piller stated pressure as well and required for full load capacty of 3640 pounds each. The TPMS will tell me when those tires drop down below about 75psig The E rated tires on our 5er - 80 psig max molded on the sidewall and exactly what the sticker on the side of the trailer says for max load capacity.

Radial ST tires load range G and up have steel cords everywhere. Weigh the rig fully loaded for a trip and inflate per the inflation chart.

I think you had better spend some time on a site like Simple Tire where you will find that yes, there are some with all steel construction, including Sailun, many if not most are tread area only with polyester sidewalls.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 11:10 AM   #26
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hblick48 View Post
All tires have a "max psi" on the sidewall. Normally this has no relationship to the suggested tire pressure specified by the vehicle manufacturer.

The "max psi" on trailer tires specifically relates to the maximum load the tire can carry.
The maximum load capacity of a tire is molded onto all DOT highway certified tires. The maximum load capacity is accompanied by a PSI value needed to gain that maximum load capacity from the tire.

That particular information is provided to inform installers/consumers not to exceed those values.

It's pure and simple.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 02:07 PM   #27
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
Interesting tidbit. On my HC-353 - I have 110 PSI Alum Alloy rims (stamped on the inside of one of the spokes) and yet I have steel stems but rubber seats (factory equipment). And I have the TPMS sending units on them and never had an issue - I run about 90 PSI. Because 110 PSI seems too hard - like a rock and I don't need the weight capacity.

And just for info - I am running Saliun 637's
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote