Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 02-06-2020, 11:46 AM   #1
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Hope I Didn't Make New Tire Mistake

My rig was originally equipped with load range E tires. Replaced them with "Radar Ranger" load range F trailer tires. 10,000 miles later, just after completing a trip, I went to rotate tires. Two had sidewall separation on the inside, another one had a nail where the tread meets the sidewall, and the forth had had tread separation, probable due to two previous flat repairs. Dodged a HUGE CHINA TIME BOMB EXPLOSION!

I know that Sailun are the preferred forum brand, but I "cheaped out..saved $160..and bought a set of Transeagle ST all steel load range G trailer tires:

https://simpletire.com/transeagle-235-85r16-ta14-tires

I talked to Simple Tire to determine the difference between the Transeagle and the Sailun. I was told that they had the same construction, The only difference is that the Transeagle was speed rated to 81 mph and the Sailun was rated at 75.

Mistake?

Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 11:56 AM   #2
jimandlaurie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12948
Send a message via AIM to jimandlaurie Send a message via MSN to jimandlaurie Send a message via Yahoo to jimandlaurie
I would think that you would have some sort of tire guarantee to help with replacement, and options to change which tires you would like to go with. Following...
jimandlaurie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 12:47 PM   #3
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
time will tell.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 02:02 PM   #4
jcurtis934
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13740
The weight of a good tire/wheel combo is way heavier than the light load range e crap supplied. If your g range tires were made in the same factory as the sailun tires...you could be in luck. If you could easily lift one...not so much. Hope you got more info on them than the simple tire site gave...like country manufactured and all that other n/a info.
Old 02-06-2020, 05:07 PM   #5
Hblick48
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21903
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcurtis934 View Post
The weight of a good tire/wheel combo is way heavier than the light load range e crap supplied. If your g range tires were made in the same factory as the sailun tires...you could be in luck. If you could easily lift one...not so much. Hope you got more info on them than the simple tire site gave...like country manufactured and all that other n/a info.
Most I could find is that it's a US company that sources all over. These were made in China. Very heavy and beefy compared to old load range F. Tread pattern and design very similar to Sailun.
Hblick48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 05:14 PM   #6
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Yea. We hope you didn’t make a mistake to. Keep us posted on how the tires are performing.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 08:28 PM   #7
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We have been extremely happy with Sailuns last 8 years. Not familiar with brand you cited but hope all works out well for you.
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2020, 10:31 PM   #8
Texan
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19873
The Sailun tires weigh about 62 pounds and the load range E tires weigh about half that. If you have ALL steel radials then you should be ok. The E rated tires have steel tread but don't have the steel sidewall like the G rated tires unless you have the Michelin load range E xps ribs.If you are going to go cheap then anything safety such as tires is not where you want to start because a blowout could cost you 3 or 4 thousand dollars to the side of the rv. Good Luck.
Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2020, 07:59 PM   #9
footz1941
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #21057
On a previous 5er 32 ft w/two slides had load range E Do not remember the brand. Replaced them with Sampson load range F Sampson’s weighed about twice the others Towed four years, about 50,000 miles and they still looked good when we traded. I believe the Sampson’s were made in China
Rex and Patsy
footz1941 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:39 AM   #10
WeBeFulltime
Montana Master

M.O.C. #11397
So, you felt a need to drive 81mph as opposed to 75mph?!

Full Timers 9/1/2010 through 1/16/2020.
WeBeFulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 07:33 AM   #11
ChuckS
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20949
No doubt the S637 tire is great and I’ll replace my current G rated tires with Sailun when the time comes.

That said..currently running Geo Star 235/85x16 at 105 psi.. Just finished 4th season of use. They will be running another season this year. I tow at 62 mph max

Proper cold inflation pressure and common sense tow speed will help you get good service life out of your new G rated tires.
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 11:18 AM   #12
G & S Russell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25774
I retired out of the tire business last June after 50 years. Ran a company for 48 of those years. We sold a lot of trailer tires, and for a while Hankook 750R16 were the best you could get, but then everyone started building the G rated tires. We sold a lot of Sailuns and Samsons. Inflated to 100psi and got great service life out of them. Keep them aired up. That’s the key.
South Bend Flywheel and Clutch, Loadlifter 5000 Rear Air Bag Kit
G & S Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:12 PM   #13
pacbj
Established Member

M.O.C. #23907
Ok so while we’re on the tire subject. What about nitrogen fill? Worth it? There shouldn’t be as much pressure swing as air, but if anyone has gone this route, how often do you need to refill? Just curious if its worth the expense. If you have to stop at a nitro fill station regularly then its not worth it
pacbj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:16 PM   #14
mlh
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2283
Nitrogen don’t waste your money. I think air is 78% and that’s enough.
Lynwood
mlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 02:35 PM   #15
Ram Montana High Country
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19944
Everyone has thoughts about Nitrogen - mine is PRO Nitrogen - should be able to get it done for $20 per tire or less. Nitrogen fills generally have less moisture than compressed air / moisture in the tire is usually the biggest contributor to pressure increasing with temperatures going up. I
My place drains air, fills with nitrogen twice before set to pressure. This provides best opportunity to dry out and get highest percentage fill. Been told nitrogen molecules are larger and generally will not leak like compressed air. I’ve run tires filled both ways on the same trip - getting out and touching tires, nitrogen tires are WAY cooler.
Racers use it for this reason and more consistent pressure. Montana has many units coming out with Nitro fill ... it’s potentially cheap insurance ...
if I need top offs, I use air.

If you know someone in fire extinguishers business, they might do you cheap - they put it in fire extinguishers.

My $.02

Just look for green valve cover caps
Ram Montana High Country is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 03:01 PM   #16
Buckfisher
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #24564
I have for years used LT tires, Goodyear Adventure with Kevlar. They're rated around 3500 pounds per tire and 105 mph. Never had a flat and I never worry about a blowout. I hope saying this doesn't bring me bad luck.
Buckfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:01 AM   #17
goodellj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #20452
We have a 2012 Montana 3150RL that came with Load Range "E" tires. I struggled with them, changing tires with slow leaks and bulges, and I even bought 2 extra unmounted tires to carry with me. I got a TPMS and spent a lot of time giving them TLC and doing full inspections before, after, and during each trip. I always asked the tire techs, if they seemed knowledgeable, for insights and advice. After 3 full sets of LR-E tires, along with using the unmounted spares, I finally got a tech to ask why I didn't consider changing to LR "G" tires. (I guess you have to ask the right questions to the right guy).

So... My Gladiator Load Range G tires have lasted 4 years and 29,000 miles, and yes they were made in China. My advice is to take extra good care of your tires by keeping the inflation at the proper PSI and inspect frequently for tread damage and evidence of broken belts. This evidence would be bulges or unusual tread wear. At 4 years I am due for replacement, although the tires still look pretty good.
6.7L V-8 diesel, 6-sp automatic, 3.55 axle ratio
goodellj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:44 AM   #18
SuperDuty2
Established Member

M.O.C. #9742
Always an interesting group to ask about tires. Some very useful information here as well, checking tire pressure and perhaps getting a monitor system
My Montana came with some nice looking Goodyear tires. After four years and only a couple thousand miles I thought they were ready for a road trip south i checked the air pressure and had the wheel bearings re packed and i was ready only a hundred miles into the trip one tire blew. No biggie just put on the spare. Another 80 miles and a second one blew. Another 150 miles and a third one blew and tok off the side of the Montana before I could get stopped. We called for soem road service again and get a fella from Knoxville to come out and help us. He said he called back and they hace more of the same size tires so I went there to his shop and made sure i had four new tires Luckily all the blow outs were on the same side. They were a Chinese Goodyear tire that was very soft and flexible with out a wheel and leaning on the tire it collapsed and folded right up with just my weight on it. being that I was at a Goodyear store I got their best tire and so far I can see the load range is higher and the tire itself, before mounting, was much stronger. So after a couple thousand in repairs to the camper and being without the camper for a few months I would suggest a couple things that I learned. As the folks here have suggested monitor our air pressure and be sure the tie is inflated. Adding air after a stay is pretty easy but you may not find some nitrogen to add, I stick with air but as you and others suggested, nitrogen doesn't usually leak out as quickly. I should have checked out the tires that came with my Monty and replaced them earlier it was much more expensive doing it while on a road trip. Also nothing like a name brand made in USA heavy duty tire. Most recommend you keep the speed at 65 and that's a great idea if you can. Please keep us posted on your tires I will be curious as to how it goes for you.
SuperDuty2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 07:00 PM   #19
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
Same for me, nothing but LT highway tires on all of my trailers. Never a blow out or any sort of tire defect failure. Just installed new set of Firestone Transforce HTs on 3075 RL to replace set that was 7 years old. Still had plenty of thread with even wear. The age was starting to scare me.
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 09:44 PM   #20
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
The all steel constructed 16” radial trailer tire is a relatively new design. Basically their – all brands – construction is identical with slight variations in tread design. That really makes all of them quite equal in strength and durability. Popularity is another matter. The first manufacturer to get them on the road did not have disparaging OEM complaints to counter and got/gets all the accolades.

IMO, availability is tops on the list for replacement RV trailer tires. But, that really depends of the trailer’s usage. If never far from home, mail order tires will be less expensive. If constantly far from home base and often moving around the country you’ll want to have a brand that is readily available. Big box retailers and nationally known tire retailers having your tire on hand is a big plus.

Just about all of the OEM RV trailer tire providers now have a brand or two of 16” tires that are steel cased. The rush to market right now is the 15” all steel radial.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote