Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2018, 05:14 PM   #1
GO ARMY
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #20780
Tires Worn on Inside - Help

Hello everyone i have a newbie question and need assistance I have tire issues that came with my2017 Montana 3921 fb has a massive thread wear on the inner side close to the chassis the on both tires (rear) the wear was so bad the metal wires are showing, I notice the wear on the last leg of my trip I was blessed that I made it all the way to the camp grounds without blow outs and yes they are SAILUN S637 been traveling all year put in about 6500 miles on that tire. The info that all you guys posted was great to a newbie like myself couple of guys told me in the camp ground that I might have a camber Ng problem because of the wear and might be an axle problem from the factory since it was brand new not even a year old. I always do the right thing during travel by stoping every 2 hrs not overloading the trailer and a balance load (learned from the military) specially when the weather is hot I tend to stop more and check tire pressure. I went to the nearest camping world for advise but no help at all they told me that call keystone and tire manufacturer or drive the trailer in their location no help at all I told him that the tire were shot and I live in the trailer. Any help/ advise is greatly appreciated I apologized for using this tread for my issue. Thanks in advance this is a great forum/group for all newbies .

Air lift airbag, Trail air pin box, IS and Disc Brakes
GO ARMY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 05:22 PM   #2
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
I doubt you'll be able to get your dealer or Keystone to step up to examine the axle without you taking the rig in. If your insurance includes trip interruption perhaps you can be covered for some days out of the RV.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2018, 07:53 PM   #3
Bad Moon
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18546
Inside edge wear is indicative of one of two things; too much negative camber, or a toe-out condition. i would get it to a shop that specializes in Travel trailer axle alignment. be prepared to spend some $$. Keystone does not seem to bother aligning the axles (or even checking them). We wore out both right-side tires on ours in about 6,000 miles.
Old 07-31-2018, 10:01 PM   #4
Montana Man
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21963
We had a tire wear the same way. I took it to a commercial truck alignment shop and they bent it back to specs. They do this everyday for about $100.
Montana Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 05:41 AM   #5
Dave W
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montana Man View Post
We had a tire wear the same way. I took it to a commercial truck alignment shop and they bent it back to specs. They do this everyday for about $100.

... also have them look at spindles, Both sides being bent is doubtful. Also, look at the bearings and whether they are adjusted to spec or, worse, failing.
2019 F150SC XLT SE Sport,w/full tow package
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 05:55 AM   #6
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
hard to read a one paragraph problem but the bottom line is get it in for an alignment.

and, i don't know who told you to stop every 2 hours and check the air pressure but that is just not necessary.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 09:13 PM   #7
Bill.vannuys
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17706
Go Army,

Welcome to the Forum.

I have had the problem on my rear Axle with the both tires wearing on the inside 2" only with the passenger side rear tire wearing worse than the driver side. I took it to a Trailer Shop that deals with nothing but all kinds of Trailers (not RVs!) for my annual Bearing repack and brake check. They are experts; the former Army mechanic (currently the trailer shop supervisor) brought me back to show me I had a bent rear axle.

My tire wear is not nearly as bad as yours sounds. My options were to replace the axle or have it bent back in line by a recommended shop that does that sort of work (or buy lots of tires). Instead, I have chosen to take a trip to Goshen in September and have the Independent suspension installed with Disk brakes. Then I will replace both rear tires.
I currently have over 20K on the tires so I did get some use. They have adequate tread for the final trip. The 2 front axle tires are still in great condition with even wear (7-8mm remaining). I really like my Sailuns.

My personal experience has been I get better results with RV Brake and suspension issues from a trailer specific shop instead of an RV shop.

I'm retired Army also. Hope to meet you in the future!

2014 3735MK Legacy, Sailun 637s, TST 507RV TPMS, 2 Battle Born 100 AMP Lithium Batteries, Slide Toppers
2015 Chevy 3500 LTZ, 6.6L Duramax 4WD, CC, LB, SRW with Allison Transmission
Bill.vannuys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:13 PM   #8
Wally Dad
Established Member

M.O.C. #20592
I will join the others in having this issue. But I'm including pictures!!! We have close to 7,500 miles on the trailer since Jan (we live in ours). When I pointed this tire wear out to the dealer recently, the service rep said "have you watched the tires while you back up and manuever into a site? That's the reason for the wear." I have since Googled this forum and I think it makes sense that the axel is not aligned correctly. I am also including my CAT Scale results to be sure it's not due to overloading. Like the previous posts, this tire wear is only on the rear axel tires.

Finally, here are the numbers for the weigh-ins:

Trailer GVWR 16,825 lbs (axels are 7,000 lbs x 2)
Truck Alone
Steer Axel: 5320
Drive Axel: 4420
Total: 9740

With Trailer (two weigh-ins several months apart)
Steer Axel 5360 5360
Drive Axel 7900 8040
Trailer 12320 12580
Total 25580 25980

Tongue 3480 3620 (both about 20%)
GVW 15800 16200 (trailer wt. + tongue wt.)

Do I need to have the axel aligned and replace the tires? Please feel free to correct my math or provide any advice you may have
Wally Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 03:31 PM   #9
BuilderBob
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20475
I em not an expert on wheel alignment but I had wear like that on a SOB before and it was a bent axle the tire wear is the same on both tires looking at your pic's. You should talk to a shop that does trailer alignments for there advice. Have you checked all the bolts , Bushings and springs to make sure all is good?
Happy Trails
BuilderBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:01 PM   #10
phillyg
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17801
The service rep is lying to you, but you already knew that, didn't you? The axle needs to be adjusted.as stated by other responders.
phillyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:40 PM   #11
Rondo
Site Team

M.O.C. #7560
I just had my axles aligned two months ago and I can recommend a great shop here in Omaha but that is a little to far for most of you to drive for this type of repair. If you Google "Big Rig trailer alignment shops" in your area you should come up with a shop that can do your work OR you can ask your dealer if they know of any. I did this and the service manager at my dealership was happy to help me out. He even told me it MIGHT fall under the extended warranty(but it did not unfortunately.) While talking to the service tech at the wheel alignment shop, he told me he sees a lot of this with fivers. He said he's seen a lot that were brand new and just out of the factory with wheel alignment problems. This could be a factory problem by not getting an alignment done before it leaves the line OR it could be a problem produced by the transporters that bring the rigs to the dealership. They may be bouncing off curbs and hitting a lot of deep potholes to cause this misalignment. After going on the factory tours for quite a few years at the Fall Rally I can not see the factory taking the time to align the axles/tires before they leave the floor. This would definitely slow down the process and when they are pumping out 15-25 units off that line a day there is no way to do an alignment before rolling out the door. I guess it will just be left up to the owner and the dealer to have the unit aligned if that is a case and I don't see that happening either because of the cost.
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:58 PM   #12
Wally Dad
Established Member

M.O.C. #20592
Thank you all. I will see if I can find a truck shop nearby that will check the axel. I know that I can get new tires at Big-O which is just 45 minutes from where I am (Chickasha, OK) I have recently had the dealer check and repack the wheel bearings. I have looked at the suspension and don't see anything out of place. Although I will complain that most of the zerks won't take grease!
Wally Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:35 AM   #13
hickory
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13170
We had one tire wear on the outer edge while the others showed no wear at all with about 6,000 miles on them. I called Dexter and while admitting no fault, they sent me a new axle, seals and wet bolts, no charge. this, after sending several pictures per their instructions. After changing the axle and returning it to Dexter, they found pos. camber on that one spindle. They attribute that to maybe hitting a pothole (where would I find one of those)?, or hitting a curb (I don't think so). Anyway, I was very pleased with the customer service at Dexter!
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:52 PM   #14
Lee & Ruth
Established Member

M.O.C. #22240
Take it to a trailer alignment place. A friend that has a lot of experience with RVs said they come from the factory with no alignment so if previous owners didn’t get it aligned, they may explain a lot.
Good luck hope it’s a quick and inexpensive fix.
Lee & Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 01:56 PM   #15
Lee & Ruth
Established Member

M.O.C. #22240
Just saw you’re a fellow Oklahoman! I’m from Custer county and the hubby is from Duncan.
Welcome!
Lee & Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:20 PM   #16
McRod
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18363
Ive been through this issue before. Cause was both overweight and potholes. Resulted in bending axles, broken springs, and excessive inside wear to tires. Upgraded to 8k axles, springs, and discs brakes. Put about 25k on suspension since and tires still look new.
McRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:21 PM   #17
Fred S.
Established Member

M.O.C. #19709
My question is would not "Correct Track" fix some of these tire problems
Fred S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:41 PM   #18
Ddubya
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #18941
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickory View Post
We had one tire wear on the outer edge while the others showed no wear at all with about 6,000 miles on them. I called Dexter and while admitting no fault, they sent me a new axle, seals and wet bolts, no charge. this, after sending several pictures per their instructions. After changing the axle and returning it to Dexter, they found pos. camber on that one spindle. They attribute that to maybe hitting a pothole (where would I find one of those)?, or hitting a curb (I don't think so). Anyway, I was very pleased with the customer service at Dexter!
I had tire wear on the outside of the front passenger tire and Dexter sent me two new axles with u-bolts and seals. I only replaced the front axle and will take my first trip tomorrow. I contacted a spring and axle company in Ft Worth and they want $275.00 per axle to align.
Ddubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:15 PM   #19
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Take it to an alignment shop but make sure you have new tires on first -- as the old saying goes -- been there, done that, except in my case I wanted to put the tires on after the alignment -- shop told me that, while they could align it, the specs would be off enough because of the wear that they wouldn't swear by it.

As for the not taking grease - I'm assuming you mean the wet bolts. You really need to take the weight off the wheels for them to take the grease easily.
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 03:39 PM   #20
simonsrf
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3120
Our Montana came with underweight axles. I replaced the 2 axles from 5200 to 6000 without having to change the hubs unless I went to the 7000lb.. I also put in a wetbolt kit, larger springs, and the cost was about $1200 including labor.
simonsrf is offline   Reply With Quote