Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > Tow Vehicles & Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2008, 03:09 PM   #61
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Ah! Memories. 1956! My cousin had a few year older Oldsmobile. He would call me up and ask, "You got any money?" I would reply that I had a quarter, he said he did also. He said, "Let's go for a ride."

There was a gas war on and gas was averaging 15 cents a gallon. 50 cents was 3.333 gallons of gas. We could cruise around for approximatley 60 miles before we had to come up with more quarters.

Now, the populace goes out and buys 20 oz bottles of water for $1.25. Let's see, 128 oz divided by 20 = 6.4 bottles of watter at $8 a gallon.

Darn! If we could just burn water (Refined of course!)

Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 06:22 PM   #62
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Wayne: Ah, but that is $8.00 per gallon before EPA -- ULSW (ultra Low Sulfur Water) would be a requirement, plus all those 'nasty' flavorings would have to be removed (the odors given off as your drove down the road might be offensive to someone with allergies)....

All joking aside, I wonder what it takes to make the hydrogen that they are now working on -- as I recall, you take water, expose it to a high electrical jolt and you get hydrogen and oxygen. The car then recombines the hydrogen with oxygen and we get water... However, as I recall, no one has figured out how to make the 'eternal motion machine' so there has to be a loss somewhere. Just how much electricity is it taking to create the hydrogen supply vs. what we get back. Have never seen those numbers.... Happened to think of this because I was just reading an article about how Biofuels creation takes so much energy for what we gain.

Oh well, someone asked earlier about an electric engine - lets see, a small VW diesel connected to a generator to a battery bank to electric motors at two (or four) wheels -- hmmmm (GE Locomotives - time to make a truck!!!!!).
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:29 AM   #63
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We have done many things to control our budget over the last few years and it continues as need requires. We looked at all the magazines and periodicals that we received.. We canceled all of them..we get no newspapers we are on the road to often to have one home delivered. We have no home phone and went to Cell phones.News and most other information can be had on the INTERNET.We cut back on our Directtv package, we have no premium channels..If we wish to watch a movie we order on line.We looked at all our credit cards and went on a mission to pay them all off. We do have many credit cards..just in case..but only have one active card that we use for travel..when necessary..and pay off at the end of the month ..that eliminates interest charges.We belong to discount camping clubs that offer low rates and more than pay for them selves. We now get along with one car instead of two. Big savings in Insurance and fuel. We eat out once a week and not a 4 star restaurants. Some time ago we refinanced our home at a great savings.This year (08) we cut back our travel from @ 12K miles last year to @ 7K miles this year. Cut out 2 rallies and came to Florida instead of Az..1/2 the distance.When at home during the school year I drive a school bus which supplements our travel budget and pays off any travel bills. We had both planned to work at Disney while in Florida .That did not work out as planned but Helen is working at Disney and will make enough to pay the trip home.We pay as we go..if we do not have it and can not stay within our budget we can't spend it...We eat a lot of chicken, Hamburger,Pasta ..not a lot of steak. This is not rocket science. If you sit down and examine how you spend your money you will find many ways to cut back.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:03 AM   #64
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
I agree with Rich. I have heard one piece of sage advice... Everyone should begin to plan their finances to brace for a recession. If we don't have one - which is greatly debatable right now - you will still be OK. If we do have the worst happen and one is not prepared, it will be catastrophic.
dsprik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:26 AM   #65
ole dude
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7128
http://www.rvnewsservice.com/unc-say...-sink-gas-too/ We're in touch so you can be in touch---- say what?
ole dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 02:35 AM   #66
Waynem
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7673
Just Around The Corner."

Of course, not in my lifetime.
Waynem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 03:31 AM   #67
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Thanks Ole Dude for the article. "The DOE (Department of Energy) says we should expect a peak of diesel fuel prices in April or May, somewhere near $3.30 per gallon."

Average around here (central FL) for diesel right now is around 3.60-3.70 and the price of oil just jumped $1.31 in the first 17 minutes of trading this morning. We are so fortunate to have these learned, incredibly wise analysts in our government offices. I feel so much better with them at the helm...

Oh, wait.... maybe they were talking about the price in Saudi Arabia???
Old 03-03-2008, 03:57 AM   #68
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
So much for the D.O.E and their predictions. The price of diesel has already gone over that number around here. I am afraid to go out to see where it went today.Stopped at a couple of stations a couple of days ago that had the credit card slots tapped off and signs that said..pay inside... That means cash only and also means drive offs have increased. People are just like those fuzzy little dogs we have..kind and gentle but back them into a corner or theaten them and they become violent..When you start depriving people of their basic needs, food , shelter, providing for self and family..trouble starts.. Bike week down here is running way below expectations??? wonder way???
Old 03-03-2008, 05:03 AM   #69
ChuckD
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #7916
Send a message via Yahoo to ChuckD
You guys got cheap Diesel Fuel Albion, NY $4.059 a gallon. I LOVE NY
ChuckD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:50 AM   #70
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Here is a suggestion for saving 4% on your gas/fuel purchases. Marathon, a U.S. gas company, offers a prepaid card. If you pay $100 you can purchase $104 worth of gas/diesel. Not a lot but $4 is a gallon of diesel. The down side is you have to pay cash for the card, no credit card purchase. At least it's something.

We also are re-doing our budget with an emphasis on saving where ever possible. There's always a lot of fluff that can be eliminated without sacrificing the fun of rv'ing.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:30 AM   #71
Jerzy54
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4379
I am not trying to stir here something, but you have to read this.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/
localnews/transportation/stories/DN-fedhwyplan_16met.
ART.State.Edition2.37680d5.html

Jerzy54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:48 AM   #72
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
Could not access the site.
Old 03-03-2008, 11:51 AM   #73
Jerzy54
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4379
Let try this one
Dallas News

The link would not work because it was too long and had been changed by Admin. The above link is the proper way to post a long link. I've done it for you this time but in future long links will simply be altered or deleted until in compliance with policy.

Thanks. RVWheels, MOC Admin
Old 03-03-2008, 12:18 PM   #74
brenkco
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8154
You might also check with different credit cards. I think my Discover gives us 5% on gas, with Diesel @ $4.00 here, that .20 cents per gallon.
brenkco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 12:30 PM   #75
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
Don't need to improve the roads..just raise the price of fuel so that folks can not afford to drive on the ones we have.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:35 PM   #76
Jerzy54
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #4379
well said Rich.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:43 PM   #77
dsprik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4282
Don't say that too loud, Rich. Someone in Washington will pick up on it.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:47 PM   #78
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
How many roads could we rebuild with the money that's being spent in Iraq?
Old 03-04-2008, 03:17 AM   #79
skypilot
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1846
Still doesn't fix the biggest problem - our overall transportation infrastructure. Saw an ad yesterday for one of the railroads claiming they moved XXXXXX tons a mile on a gallon of diesel... per their ad the next closest was XXX tons (I don't remember the exact numbers but the difference was several magnitudes higher for railroads).. Made for a good advertisement for shipping by rail. HOWEVER - nowhere did they discuss the lack of speed nor the lack of destinations available for rail -- when it gets to where the railroad delivers it, it still has to take the final miles (sometimes many miles) by truck. Guess what I'm trying to say is if we had a viable rail system we could piggy back our TV and RVs of all sorts, and only spend gas/diesel to cover those last few miles. Could enjoy the country while being ferried across the US of A and truly 'See America'. However, I was just reading another article where another short-line rail line was being dismantled and the 'right-of-way' being returned to local authorities. Our rail infrastructure is going the wrong way if we were to even consider a plan such as a continental ferry system...

Oh well, just another rambling thought from this old, tired brain.

The cost of fuel is driving up costs of our daily essentials (food, cost of going to work!!) and even impacting on our clothing (JC Pennys, Dillards, Sears, Kohls all have seen 4 to 10% price increases according to educational materials I've recently seen - some of these costs have been eaten by the companies but they can only do that for so long before their shareholders rebel)...
skypilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:52 AM   #80
Trailer Trash 2
Montana Master

M.O.C. #639
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by tom41

remember when ???

There are approx 3.67 leaters per gal so that lady is paying close to 3.25 per gal, and with the dollar falling as it is she will soon be paying less.