Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 07-01-2020, 02:25 PM   #1
watsonjones
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18104
Unhappy Need help - Entry Door not closing

Ok guys and gals, I need your help.
The Entry Door on our 2017 3721RL has started to catch and seems to be getting harder and harder to close. The door catches in the top left corner away from the hinges and currently requires multiple slam attempts to close from the inside. The issue appears to have developed over the last 2-3 campsites/weeks. We are currently parked on a level site and the 6 point leveling system says we are level, but the issue remains. I cannot see any obvious issues with the hinges (they are the friction hinge type). The catch plate has some minor rubbing on it, but nothing major. The steps are set at the correct height and do not appear to be affecting the door.

I would like to know if anyone else has had this issue develop, and if so, what they think caused it and how they resolved it?

I have done extensive research on this site and some owners have reported this issue on new units and were recommended to take it back to the dealer for warranty repair, but since our unit is over 3 years old, we are out of warranty. Plus, this is a new issue, not an initial manufacturing defect.
One person posted that they removed and re-bent their hinges and this solved the problem, however I do not have access to a vice or the tools necessary to do this.
Another person said that they had heard placing a 2x4 between the door and the frame and levering the door in the direction you need to bend it works, but I would like to leave that as a last resort.

I have added pictures that show where the door is rubbing, each of the hinges, the catch plate and even a view from the bottom of the door.

Sorry for the long post, but any advice would be greatly appreciated before we upset our neighbors too much, or I get frustrated enough to try the 2x4 method.

Thanks,
David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Door rub.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	96.9 KB
ID:	6713   Click image for larger version

Name:	hinges.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	176.5 KB
ID:	6714   Click image for larger version

Name:	Catch plate.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	6715   Click image for larger version

Name:	view from bottom.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	6716  

watsonjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 02:34 PM   #2
jetskier
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22360
Mine did that on day one. I fixed it with a 2x4 and a hammer. Sometimes if there's a twist in the frame during leveling, it will cause this

Tags
entry door