Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2020, 08:06 PM   #41
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalandLinda View Post
You know tire brochure information is much like your trailer's brochure, not official. If you had studied the Lionshead link I provided, you would see they describe the Westlake ST235/85R16 LRG with a load capacity of 4080# at 110 PSI, which we both know is an error.

All steel redial is a marketing term. But you have finally read a sidewall and saw that the sidewall construction for the "All steel radial" has steel cords vice some kind of fabric.

Lionshead has not updated their link to describe the Westlake 16" LRG tires as all steel. Because I knew Lionshead to be the primary OEM provider of the Westlake tires I was quoting information from their link. Westlake does not publish a ST tire data book so the only other place to verify the actual construction of their ST tires is from the individual sidewall.

This a tire condition to be aware of when using all steel radial tires. It's called a zipper rupture and is very dangerous.

Attachment 5951

Well kind of confirms what I think of Goodyear that zipper rupture appears to be either a Goodyear G614 or 114. I will definitely stick to Sailun

PSFORD99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2020, 11:34 PM   #42
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
All of the 15" & 16" all steel radial tires are good tires. Problem is, the first ones on the dance floor got all the accolades.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:44 AM   #43
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
All of the 15" & 16" all steel radial tires are good tires. Problem is, the first ones on the dance floor got all the accolades.
It sure appears that way, yet a few favorable reports on Westlake, but we are creatures of habit.

I would like to know ,and I am sure you do on the Sailuns their manufacturing procedures or guidelines. I have read them before ,but can't seem to find them . J something. Curious to see if Westlake on their G rated follow those guidelines.
Old 04-07-2020, 10:32 AM   #44
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
GY G614 was 1st and the best UNTIL Sailun came along. Why pay double for 2nd best?
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:36 AM   #45
Lenny K
Montana Master

M.O.C. #14417
Reading all this bickering I thought I had logged into RV Net......lol

Lenny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 10:51 AM   #46
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny K View Post
Reading all this bickering I thought I had logged into RV Net......lol

I see opinions, and different views , bickering not so much, hey!! its a tire thread
Old 04-07-2020, 11:25 AM   #47
Fish
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22281
I got Hercules on my way back from florida. Maybe you all could give sailun and Westlake a break and tell me what all is wrong with Hercules and why I'm a dumbass for buying them.

It'd break up the thread a little anyway.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:34 AM   #48
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish View Post
I got Hercules on my way back from florida. Maybe you all could give sailun and Westlake a break and tell me what all is wrong with Hercules and why I'm a dumbass for buying them.

It'd break up the thread a little anyway.

My opinion as time goes on with these other brands such as Westlake ,and Hercules they are going to prove out pretty well . Time will tell. Every so often someone will get on these forums and say how well a tire has done . I have heard ,and seen more failures with the Goodyear then any other G rated that comes to mind. Of course a lot of them are sold .

It seems now the standard for quality is the Sailun, can't help thinking more are going to up their game. Its a big market out there .
Old 04-07-2020, 11:41 AM   #49
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
They may prove to be great. I don’t worry about tire cost I consider safety 1st. For that reason I use Pirelli on the SUV, Michelin on the truck, and Sailun on the 5er. I am going to consider Sailun on the truck when I change. Need more research but have a lot of time.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:54 AM   #50
PSFORD99
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9051
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
They may prove to be great. I don’t worry about tire cost I consider safety 1st. For that reason I use Pirelli on the SUV, Michelin on the truck, and Sailun on the 5er. I am going to consider Sailun on the truck when I change. Need more research but have a lot of time.
If it helps , a good friend of mine ran a set of the Sailun Terramax on his Ford Supertduty 350. He full times, unfortunately he blew the motor, the 6.7 Powerstroke , instead of a new motor ,he traded it for a new one , and got what he could for it on a trade in . Anyway he said he liked the tire, he thought maybe it was wearing a little faster then some, but he never got to see how far they would of went.

Me personally.I think they are as good as any for a 5 rib AT tire. I am presently running the Toyo AT2's , not impressed in the least , I'm thinking 40K is about the best they will do. They are quiet ,wearing evenly, have been rotated every 5K , but cost nearly double that of the Sailun Terramax.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:43 PM   #51
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Thanks. I’m sure they will be less than the Michelin I always put on. A more aggressive tread I don’t really need but think they will be worth a try. Not into noisy tires either, maybe with 4 in the rear instead of 2 it will make a difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSFORD99 View Post
If it helps , a good friend of mine ran a set of the Sailun Terramax on his Ford Supertduty 350. He full times, unfortunately he blew the motor, the 6.7 Powerstroke , instead of a new motor ,he traded it for a new one , and got what he could for it on a trade in . Anyway he said he liked the tire, he thought maybe it was wearing a little faster then some, but he never got to see how far they would of went.

Me personally.I think they are as good as any for a 5 rib AT tire. I am presently running the Toyo AT2's , not impressed in the least , I'm thinking 40K is about the best they will do. They are quiet ,wearing evenly, have been rotated every 5K , but cost nearly double that of the Sailun Terramax.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:53 PM   #52
Twopetes
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17535
I may be a little late to the party, but I got rid of the west lakes and put a sailuns on. One sailun weighed more than 2 of the west lakes, and the west lakes were in good shape. To me it was just not worth the chance.. Sailuns NOW!
Retired and Lovin’ it!
Twopetes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 07:52 PM   #53
G & S Russell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25774
The tire body is called a casing. An all steel tire will have a steel casing. If we are going to talk about them let’s get the terminology right.
South Bend Flywheel and Clutch, Loadlifter 5000 Rear Air Bag Kit
G & S Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 08:00 PM   #54
G & S Russell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25774
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJohn View Post
Don’t put Sailuns on the truck. We had a saying that Sailun made a good tire, just not a round one. They were 17.5 tires we were putting on service box trucks but not on the big pickups, too many ride complaints. For the pickups or ride sensitive vehicles we put on Hankooks. Great riding tire at a reasonable price. Just my humble opinion after running a tire company for 47 years.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:01 PM   #55
G & S Russell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twopetes View Post
I may be a little late to the party, but I got rid of the west lakes and put a sailuns on. One sailun weighed more than 2 of the west lakes, and the west lakes were in good shape. To me it was just not worth the chance.. Sailuns NOW!
If they weighed half of a Sailun, they were not 14 ply all steel.
Old 04-07-2020, 11:49 PM   #56
CaptnJohn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #19865
Quote:
Originally Posted by G & S Russell View Post
Don’t put Sailuns on the truck. We had a saying that Sailun made a good tire, just not a round one. They were 17.5 tires we were putting on service box trucks but not on the big pickups, too many ride complaints. For the pickups or ride sensitive vehicles we put on Hankooks. Great riding tire at a reasonable price. Just my humble opinion after running a tire company for 47 years.
Thank you and your experience is appreciated. I'll need 6 when time to change arrives, still open minded but Michelin is still top of the list.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:36 AM   #57
jimcol
Montana Master

M.O.C. #7992
Send a message via AIM to jimcol Send a message via MSN to jimcol
Quote:
Originally Posted by G & S Russell View Post
Appreciate your experience and opinion. For other opinions, mine included, readers might want to view this thread: https://www.montanaowners.com/forums...t=80701&page=3

Mindful you will need to filter out all the other post that drifted off topic in the thread I referenced.
Old 04-08-2020, 03:53 PM   #58
pkbridges77
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17920
Had coffee at an appropriate social distance with a friend in the park this morning. He has a triple axle Solitude, came with Westlakes, mfg date 4617, so mid-Nov 2017. 2 1/2 years old and sidewall cracking on every one, tread wear looks great. He’s ordering Sailuns. Just another FYI.
pkbridges77 is offline   Reply With Quote