Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > GENERAL DISCUSSIONS > TIRES, Montana Tires
Click Here to Login

Old 02-15-2020, 10:36 AM   #1
Stevhop
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23658
Mastercraft question

We bought a 2008 2955rl that has 2 year old Mastercraft Courser HRT load range E tires. They look to be in good shape, however I cannot find any info that says they are suitable for a RV. Should I continue to run these tires?

Thank you in advance.

Stevhop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 10:58 AM   #2
G & S Russell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25774
I sold Mastercraft tires for over 40 years. They are Cooper Tire manufactured and worked great on numerous trailers we mounted them on. I have used LT tires on my own trailers for many years and have had no issues. I’ve read other treads that go back and forth between ST or LT. I don’t want to get that started again, and am just saying that from my experience running a tire company, I would be aware if there was an inherent problem. Don’t get me wrong, we also sold a lot of G rated (14 ply) ST tires over the last 10 years or so. The industry answered the need for higher rated trailer tires. That’s the long answer to your question. The short answer is that they should be fine. Just inspect them to make sure there aren’t any fine cracks around the sidewall of the tires from sun exposure.
South Bend Flywheel and Clutch, Loadlifter 5000 Rear Air Bag Kit
G & S Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 07:55 AM   #3
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stevhop View Post
We bought a 2008 2955rl that has 2 year old Mastercraft Courser HRT load range E tires. They look to be in good shape, however I cannot find any info that says they are suitable for a RV. Should I continue to run these tires?

Thank you in advance.
According to the specs for your trailer it was equipped with ST235/80R16 LRE tires. At the very least, those tires were providing 3420# of load capacity at 80 PSI. Replacement tires providing anything less than that would not meet tire industry minimum standards for replacement tires.
CalandLinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:18 AM   #4
Slow Hand
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17391
I am currently running that same tire on my Montana and getting great wear out of them. With all this tire talk you would think there is only one tire that should be on your RV. Not true. Many tires out there that will work nice on your trailer. Just like the truck. No one uses the same tire as everyone else. I prefer truck tires because of the higher speed rating. Some tires have a max speed of 65 MPH. Load rating will be about the same. Get the max of both if you can. I have 80 PSI wheels on my trailer and not going to buy new wheels just so I can run the 110 PSI tire.

Another thing about the 110 PSI tire. That's a lot of pressure and I am not sure why they make tires for RV's with that much air pressure. Can you imagine the explosion if you have a blow out with one of those tires? Not to mention the damage they would cause.
Slow Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:45 AM   #5
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Hand View Post
I am currently running that same tire on my Montana and getting great wear out of them. With all this tire talk you would think there is only one tire that should be on your RV. Not true. Many tires out there that will work nice on your trailer. Just like the truck. No one uses the same tire as everyone else. I prefer truck tires because of the higher speed rating. Some tires have a max speed of 65 MPH. Load rating will be about the same. Get the max of both if you can. I have 80 PSI wheels on my trailer and not going to buy new wheels just so I can run the 110 PSI tire.

Another thing about the 110 PSI tire. That's a lot of pressure and I am not sure why they make tires for RV's with that much air pressure. Can you imagine the explosion if you have a blow out with one of those tires? Not to mention the damage they would cause.
None of the newer model Keystone Trailers after year 2007 came with LT tires except those with 16" steel cased LT RST tires at 110# PSI. In year models 2005 & 2006 Keystone installed a lot of OEM LT tires on 6000# axles. Those 80 PSI LT tires were phased out by 2007. Once a trailer gets to the 6000# axles the ST tires pretty much rule because of their greater load carrying capacities. RV trailer tires with the load capacity for the heavier trailers are going to have the much higher PSI requirements. The necessary load capacity to support the higher trailer loads can only be achieved with higher PSI settings. The larger trailers are pushing the 13.5" height limits for almost all highways. Taller, larger tires just cannot be used without risking going over the trailer height limit; so, stronger steel cased RV trailer tires are becoming the norm for those larger, heavier trailers. Soon we will see low platform, low profile regional 17.5" commercial trailer tires on 8000# and above axles. They are about the same height as the 16" and still require 110 - 125# of PSI to provide the load capacity to support the loads on those larger capacity axles.

Note: Because of the RVIA load capacity reserve recommendation; 6000# axles minimum tire load capacity requirement will be 3300# each. There are no suitable 16" LT tires available in today's market that can fill that requirement. (The GY G614 is a RST tire, meaning trailer use only). (GY and others have a new size; ST255/85R16 LRE with a load capacity of 4080# @ 80 PSI, but it's more than 33" tall and most likely won't retro fit most older model trailer wheelwells).
Old 02-16-2020, 12:11 PM   #6
Stevhop
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23658
Quote:
Originally Posted by G & S Russell View Post
I sold Mastercraft tires for over 40 years. They are Cooper Tire manufactured and worked great on numerous trailers we mounted them on. I have used LT tires on my own trailers for many years and have had no issues. I’ve read other treads that go back and forth between ST or LT. I don’t want to get that started again, and am just saying that from my experience running a tire company, I would be aware if there was an inherent problem. Don’t get me wrong, we also sold a lot of G rated (14 ply) ST tires over the last 10 years or so. The industry answered the need for higher rated trailer tires. That’s the long answer to your question. The short answer is that they should be fine. Just inspect them to make sure there aren’t any fine cracks around the sidewall of the tires from sun exposure.

Gunther see picture, (hopefully it comes through) the only cracking I see are some very tiny cracked where the tread meets the side wall
Old 02-16-2020, 12:59 PM   #7
G & S Russell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25774
Didn’t get the picture.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:01 PM   #8
G & S Russell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25774
Double check the DOT number if you can to make sure just how old the tires are. The last 4 numbers are mfg date.
Old 02-16-2020, 01:32 PM   #9
Stevhop
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23658
I think it uploaded this time....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	55A87711-E6F2-4BED-9C4E-E54347DC3030.jpeg
Views:	96
Size:	575.0 KB
ID:	5610  
Old 02-16-2020, 01:54 PM   #10
G & S Russell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25774
If I had to guess, I’d say they are older than 2 years, but regardless, they need to be changed. Sometimes you’ll see little cracks, but once they join together to make long cracks like yours, they need to be changed regardless of mfg date.
Old 02-16-2020, 03:56 PM   #11
Stevhop
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #23658
Thank you Gunther...I will take your advice.
Old 02-16-2020, 04:01 PM   #12
G & S Russell
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25774
Your welcome. Happy trails!
Old 02-17-2020, 02:28 AM   #13
Golfmedik
Montana Master

M.O.C. #18474
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalandLinda View Post
Note: Because of the RVIA load capacity reserve recommendation; 6000# axles minimum tire load capacity requirement will be 3300# each. There are no suitable 16" LT tires available in today's market that can fill that requirement. (The GY G614 is a RST tire, meaning trailer use only). (GY and others have a new size; ST255/85R16 LRE with a load capacity of 4080# @ 80 PSI, but it's more than 33" tall and most likely won't retro fit most older model trailer wheelwells).
That's why Sailun tires have a S637 235/80/16 tire that has a load capacity of #4080 and they added the 235/85/16 two years ago with a load capacity of #4400 to meet the upcoming RVIA reserve requirements. However, most places are putting them wheels only rated to #3750. Now Tredit Tire sells several wheels in aluminum and steel that rated for #4400.
Old 02-17-2020, 03:20 AM   #14
CalandLinda
Montana Master

M.O.C. #15948
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golfmedik View Post
That's why Sailun tires have a S637 235/80/16 tire that has a load capacity of #4080 and they added the 235/85/16 two years ago with a load capacity of #4400 to meet the upcoming RVIA reserve requirements. However, most places are putting them wheels only rated to #3750. Now Tredit Tire sells several wheels in aluminum and steel that rated for #4400.
Designated sizes, such as the ST235/80R16 can be ordered and fitted with load ranges D - E - F - & G. They all conform to the same load inflation chart. Therefore, they all conform to a vehicle certification label that describes that designated size as an appropriate fitment. The same holds true for any designated size. Load and speed information are not part of a designated size. Those characteristics have separate forms of descriptions on the tire sidewall.

The correct tire load capacity description for LT & ST tires is the load range lettering system. For P & Euro Metric tires it’s the load index numbering system. All speed ratings are identified by a lettering system, usually found at the end of a load index number.

The basic rule for wheel capacity is not to exceed PSI capacity or load capacity. For instance; the steel cased LT235/85R16 LRG has a maximum load capacity of 3750# @ 110 PSI. The ST235/80R16 LRG has a 4080# load capacity @ 110 PSI. A 3750# wheel with a 110 PSI rating can be fitted with any tire with a higher load capacity as long as the wheel is not going to have to support more than 3750#. So, if you’re putting those wheels on 7000# certified axles they cannot be overloaded unless you overload the axles.

There is a caveat in the rules that states tire manufacturers must identify proper wheels for their tires. They normally refer that back to the wheel manufacturer. In the following reference you can see that Sailun has done that.

http://gosailun.com/MRT/Tire/S637T