Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > HAVE MOC WILL TRAVEL > Campgrounds State, Provincial & Federal
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2019, 02:11 PM   #1
drjjj
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #5757
Amarillo/Palo Duro Canyon

Trying to get out for one more trip this year. We are native Texans and although we have been through Amarillo many times, and I have hunted the area several times, we have never been to Palo Duro Canyon. Going second week of November, and yes, I know the weather that time of year is totally unpredictable. We have reservations at Fort Amarillo RV Resort based on a recommendation of a friend who lives in Amarillo. Any advice on other things to see in the area would be appreciated.

drjjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2019, 05:30 PM   #2
LoneStar
Established Member

M.O.C. #24911
if the play/musical “Texas” was going on, now, I’d def. tell you to take that in, but “Texas” runs, basically, while school is out..
I’d recommend the state park and surrounding area. The Palo Duro Canyon is, indeed, a beautiful place. There are walking/bike trails, and the hiking/walking is good. It’s a great time of year to be in the canyon, itself. There is a business adjacent to the state park that does zip lines, although I don’t don’t if it runs year-round. I also recommend the Pandandle-Plains Museum. It’s located in Canyon, TX, and it’s nice. There’s a honey farm between the museum and the State Park that my wife likes. They give a lil’ (free) tour there, I believe.

Personally, I’m not into the “Cadillac Ranch” or Big Texan Steakhouse, but they’re frequently mentioned in times like this..The former is, you guessed it, several Cadillacs buried half-way in the ground, nose-first in th middle of a cultivated field. People walk out to the cars, gaze at ‘em, and you can spray paint graffiti on them if you bring your own paint....the latter is, you guessed right again, a steakhouse that will feed you and you can look at some rattlesnakes in a glass box..you can even get a “free” 72 ounce steak if you can swallow it (AND keep it down) plus all the fixins’ in under an hour.

edit: in fairness to the Big Texan, I know folks from out of town enjoy it. It always seems to be crowded around there.
I hope you enjoy your trip! The weather has been wonderful, lately.
Old 10-15-2019, 08:44 PM   #3
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
We have stayed at Ft Amarillo RV park a number of times over the years as a stopover on the way to Colorado. Happy with it except the large gift shop typically cost me more than the site itself. Haven’t found a way to keep the DW out of it. But why not stay a couple nights in Palo Duro Canyon SP itself? Great views to wake up to and sunsets over the rim. And yes, the Texas play is great, but only happens during the summer months.

Have never visited the Jack Sizemore RV museum, but have often heard it is worth the visit. Have also heard the Panhandle Plains Historical Museum in Canyon is worth a visit if you are interested in panhandle history. Both are on our to do list.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 07:23 AM   #4
whitesub93
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #22946
This play was very enjoyable when we went a few years back. And mostly indoors.
http://rvmuseum.net/
Old 10-16-2019, 08:17 AM   #5
RoadRunnerTR21
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20746
If you are into equine, you could go to the American Quarter Horse museum. We enjoyed that.
RoadRunnerTR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2019, 10:39 AM   #6
LoneStar
Established Member

M.O.C. #24911
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadRunnerTR21 View Post
If you are into equine, you could go to the American Quarter Horse museum. We enjoyed that.
I forgot about American Quarter Horse (AQHA) museum. It’s a good one.
I’ve read that AQHA is going to move headquarters from Amarillo to the DFW area. I believe AQHA museum will remain in Amarillo, but I’m not 100% on that.

The RV display/museum @ Jack Sisemore Travel Land (Amarillo) is, indeed, interesting. It’s an indoor display—there are some unique items there for sure.

Staying/camping at the state park would be an excellent idea, IMO.

Below is some more info pertaining to the park & the area in general:
https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/palo-duro-canyon