Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-26-2014, 07:50 AM   #1
JandC
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13272
Just Too Hot For Air To Keep Up

This will be the third day with the heat index over 105. With both airs on we can keep the interior about 77 during the day. Filters just changed and I keep both air conditioning fans on high to keep from freezing up airs.

Went up on roof yesterday morning and removed air conditioner tops thinking maybe each units needed a good cleaning. They were in good shape so that was a waste of time.

The only other thing I can think of doing is slide toppers. I have never really thought they were worth it for just keeping junk off the top of my slides, but could they be worth it for keeping the interior cooler?

Old 08-26-2014, 08:14 AM   #2
bethandkevin
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12331
I don't have an answer for certain on the slide toppers-it would seem it might help a little, but the ducting for the A/C runs in the "attic" area, so it would seem to me a better insulated duct material might help as well. I've wondered if the newer BigSky owners have experienced any negatives on this issue because of the dark sides. I sympathize with you on the cooling. We don't often find ourselves in that kind of heat, but two years ago we were in Chicago during July. Four days in a row it was over 100 actual temp and 109 the day we arrived. Only had 30 amp service, so only able to run one A/C. Oh, and no shade trees either!
bethandkevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 08:47 AM   #3
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
Are you sure the compressors in both units are running? Sometimes, it is hard to tell if one isn't working. No need to keep both units on high fan, there is a freeze sensor from the thermostat control box in both units that is inserted in the coil and prevents freeze-up in the coil.
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:53 AM   #4
dieselguy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #3085
If you can get better than a 20 degree differential between inside and outside temps in an RV ... you system is working as it should. For an eye opener ... run your hand above the window under the valance on a sunny day ... heat just permiates off the black window frame.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 09:59 AM   #5
mazboy
Montana Master

M.O.C. #9561
i suspect both A/Cs are working like they should be.....at 105 degrees you won't be able to get the temp down to 70...

you can try bringing in one or two of your slides, that might help a little.

best bet is to find shade.
mazboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 10:47 AM   #6
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by mazboy

i suspect both A/Cs are working like they should be.....at 105 degrees you won't be able to get the temp down to 70...

you can try bringing in one or two of your slides, that might help a little.

best bet is to find shade.
Totally correct - doesn't matter what Keystone or any other manufacturer says, it's all about insulation and keeping radiant heat out. I don't think ANY RV maker of any kind really puts a lot of either into their products. It'd make the walls & roof too thick for starters. One thing I have found that works well & costs little though is Reflectix (there's a couple other brands that are the same stuff). I picked up a 24" wide by 25' long roll at Lowes for about $20 after my GI discount, and it covered most of my windows. It's easy to cut to fit and stick on velcro keeps pieces in place on the inside of windows. Doesn't completely solve the issue, but goes a long way helping.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:18 PM   #7
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Since we summer in Kansas and 110 degree heat indices are common and 110 degrees actual isn't unheard of, I can give you actual experience on this one. First year we were factory direct and suffered as you are thru that first summer. Then we added removable outside sun screens to our three rear windows (south facing at the home base) that made a noticeable improvement. Then we added slide toppers and awnings on the dining room and both living room windows and that made a huge difference. Now we have light blocking shades in the bedroom , the afore mentioned additions in the living area, a reflective mat velcroed to the shower skylight (we want the light and the heat in the winter), insulation pads in the vents and light blockers for the living room and dining room if it's too windy for the awnings. Heat index is 108 today and, while the AC's are running often, it's nice in here.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:02 PM   #8
Hiller
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #13360
Earlier this summer we where in St. George Utah and our single unit could not keep up over about 94 degree's. The day time temps got into the hundreds and the rig was to hot to stay in. As soon as the sun went down we cooled right down and it was comfortable. I had wondered if a second unit was worth investing in but it sounds like in our case its not.
Hiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 03:32 PM   #9
DQDick
Site Team

M.O.C. #11455
Depends on how much of that type of weather you camp in. Only getting it down to 77 is sure a heck of a lot better than we couldn't stay in there.
DQDick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:34 PM   #10
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
A properly operating AC system will cool the air across the evaporator ~20°. (differential from return to register/output closest to unit).
As you get further away from the unit, the roof's heat will warm the air in the ducting. When I place a refrigerator thermometer in a central location away from direct air flow of AC, and then place the same thermometer at the main outlet of my units, I get 18-21 temp difference. I do believe that the non-ducted, front BR AC is more effective than the rear LR AC which is ducted.
fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:04 PM   #11
fauch
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #11342
Some tips i received from the guru at the RV repair shop near my house:
...keep basement doors latched tight
there is air exchange between basement and living space. if doors are open or ajar cold air 'seeps' downward and out....
minimize vent fan usage, stove, fantastic vent and bathroom vent fan
if your roof is black/moldy, apply acrylic latex coating by Heng's or Dicor
Make sure evaporator is clean with clean filter
If delta temp across evaporator is higher than ~20º, you may need to have the unit 'serviced'
make sure condenser is clean

fauch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:33 PM   #12
c214dick
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8160
We use the reflective material, available from CW, on our windows and we seldom use the second A/C. Notice I said seldom.
c214dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 01:36 AM   #13
hickory
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #13170
While we seldom get temps much over 90, we found that the vents lose an enormous amount of heat. Put your hand up near them in the summsr and it's like an oven. We recently installed vent cusions and immedeatly notice a word of difference, both in heating snd cooling.
hickory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:12 AM   #14
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
Try blocking off your return furnace vents for the summer. It helps in keeping most of the cold air from going into the basement. It worked for me and for a few others.
scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 03:47 AM   #15
WaltBennett
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13325
"Try blocking off your return furnace vents for the summer. It helps in keeping most of the cold air from going into the basement. It worked for me and for a few others."

That's something I haven't thought about.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:49 AM   #16
K0LCB
Montana Master

M.O.C. #13395
We use a small tower fan in the lounge. It helps a lot
K0LCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 04:18 AM   #17
richfaa
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2839
We do a good job of keeping out of very hot weather. We are the hottest here at our S&B in Ohio. We run the fantastic fan on manual low speed to draw the hot air out of the top of the camper. we will close both shades when it gets very hot. That huge rear window is a magnifying glass.
richfaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2014, 07:44 PM   #18
Jimmer
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #14208
Thanks for all of the information. I thought I was just going to have learn to live with the problem. We have a 2014 3582 RL with a vented AC in the living area and a non vented AC in the bed room. The bed room cools much better than the living area. It seems like there is not much air coming out the vents in the living area. The bed room ac has a lot of air coming out the main unit. We put a small fan in the hallway and it helps push air from the bed room to the living area. I will try some of the other things said and see how that helps.

Jimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 11:56 AM   #19
scott-pati
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12894
IMO the windows are the biggest culprit, they are tinted and absorb the heat. Yes they cut down on the sun entering the RV, but none the less they get very hot to the touch. Like others have said, sun screens ON THE OUTSIDE will cut down from the heat entering inside. Or using that foil bubble wrap taped and sealed on the inside will work too. Next would be the slide toppers.
scott-pati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2016, 02:29 PM   #20
jameswbarton
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #18658
I just bought a new High Country 375

I just bought a new 2016 High Country 375Fl with two Air Conditioners. The literature and sales man told us it would handle 100 degree heat and temperatures down to 0 degrees. It does not work and can only reduce inside temp 9 degrees from outside temp with all shades drawn. It has no slide covers. The windows are single pane as I never want to have to defogg any again when the seals fail. Keystone refused to answer all of my questions, referring me to a warranty service provider. Today when I took it back to the selling dealer I was surprising told that the AC was likely working ok and was only capable of a max temperature drop of 20 degrees from roof temperature. The two units appear air starved with only 7 small ceiling vents for both AC's. There need to be 600 cfm of supply air coming out the vents but I cannot find out how many it should have. Also where are the heating return air ducts are they under the steps to the front living room? If the salesmen had been honest and given me this 20 degree below roof temp I never would have bought it. Planning to not roast in AZ, NM and Ca?

jameswbarton is offline   Reply With Quote