Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > It's a Dirty Job but Someone has to do it!
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2006, 08:49 PM   #21
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
I had a small mouse problem this past summer. I used everything you could imagine, bounce, decon, traps, and the electronic sound things. I actually have 6 of those electronic plugged in all summer, not sure if the mice were already in or if they just did not care about the sound. I caught 6 mice over a two month time frame, this spring I am going under the coach and sealing up all open edges of the under belly with darko tape. Supposed to be 5x's stronger than duct tape and the mice are not to be able to chew through it. My campspot was at the edge of the field over looking the river so I am not sure if that is why I had such a problem or what the deal was. Either way I refuse to have this problem again this year, between the dealership and myself we will have that rv sealed up tight.

Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 11:57 PM   #22
kdeiss
Montana Master

M.O.C. #164
From the looks of the mouse dirt on the rugs I think ours are coming in where the slide meets the side of the camper. We have the slides in for the winter and I suppose that left an opening right there for them. I put decon at that spot too. Our campground is right in the woods so I'm not surprized we have a few mice but I want to keep it to a minimum, and hopefully move them completely out before summer.
kdeiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 06:58 AM   #23
Longwell
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5192
Hi. I can finally give something back to the forum instead of just learning, learning, learning.
I work for Terminix, doind pest control. The only 3 sure ways of getting rid of mice are: 1) Keep them out by not having any openings big enough for them to get their heads through (if the head fits, so will the rest of the body.), 2) Poison them (but you don't know where they will die - seems it's usually in a wall somewhere you can't find.), or 3) Catch them with traps (usually placed under some low object, around the perimiter, where pets and kids can't get into them.) I generally prefer the catching option (safer and easier.)
Mothballs and dryer sheets work initially, but once the critters get used to the smell they will drag around the mothballs and will use the dryer sheets for nesting.
If you need bait for traps, use small chunks of Slim Jim - type of meat sticks. They smell attractive, are harder for the mice to steal off the trap and they have "mucho" preservatives so they don't mold very quickly.
Hope this information is of use.
Larry
Longwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2006, 09:34 AM   #24
Colden
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #4400
One other suggestion - when you're storing, open all the doors and drawers. I'm told mice like the dark. We stored our Monty next to the house this year - not a "micey" area but have seen no problems when we've gone under the cover and checked things out.
Colden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2006, 01:09 AM   #25
smc
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #3125
I have heard that sprinkling pepeer on everything discourages mice. We had a mouse problem for a while. We found a few places where they could get in. One was a hole drilled under the counter in the kitchen, looked like they had drilled in the wrong place and just left it. Also found places in the slides where they could get in. Since we blocked the holes, and put duct tape around any pipes that had spaces, we have had no mice, and spent the better part of last summer in a "mouse haven". Gives peace of mind that if mice can't get in, niether can snakes, since we are wintering in Arizona and I am not partial to snakes.
smc is offline   Reply With Quote