Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MONTANA OWNERS CLUB COMMUNITY > New Member Introductions
Click Here to Login

Old 02-17-2007, 03:47 PM   #1
Sunnyside
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6859
Hello from CT

Hello everyone,

Jim and Roxy here from CT here. We just signed the contract on a Mountaineer 319BHD and will be picking it up in a cpl weeks. Our TV is a 2006 Dodge Mega cab 2500 4x4 turbo diesel short bed. Would love to get advice on hitch selection. It must be removable.

Thanks,

Jim & Roxy

Sunnyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 04:41 PM   #2
nailbender
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5811
Welcome to the MOC family Jim & Roxy and congratulations on your purchase of a Mountaineer. As far as hitch selection, everybody has their favorite. The main thing to get with a short bed truck is a slider hitch, a automatic slider is the best if you can afford the extra $$$. With a automatic you don't have to remember to manually release it.
Enjoy the new Mountaineer.
nailbender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 06:02 PM   #3
JH Sechelt
Montana Master

M.O.C. #4976

Hello Jim & Roxy,

Welcome to the MOC. Enjoy your New 5Ver. Lots of good advice will follow.

J&D
JH Sechelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 07:10 PM   #4
stiles watson
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2059
Welcome to the forum. Others will share their hitch advice. Just want to say hello and happy RVing.....
stiles watson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 09:00 PM   #5
Montana Sky
Montana Master

M.O.C. #889
Jim & Roxy,
Congrats on your Mountaineer! I have the Superglide automatic sliding hitch and highly recommend it. You want the look at how far each of the sliding hitches move back. I know the Superglide moves back 14". The Megacab has the shortest bed in the fleet, make sure you measure twice and buy once.
Montana Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 12:49 AM   #6
Sunnyside
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #6859
Quote:
quote:Originally posted by Montana Sky

The Megacab has the shortest bed in the fleet, make sure you measure twice and buy once.
The Mega cab has a typical 6'6' bed, the same as all the Dodge shortbeds I believe. It does look really short on that truck though.

So far, 2 for the superglide. How heavy is it, can 1 person take it out?

Thanks,

Jim
Sunnyside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 07:04 AM   #7
DarMar
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1034
Hello Jim & Roxy, Welcome. We have an 07/3500/mega/dually and I suggest to you that an automatic slider is a must with this truck. If you do the measurement of the distance between the centre of the axle and the cab you will find it almost 4 inches less clearance than any of the other makes. We have the new Autoslide hitch from Hijacker which is built in Victoria, B.C. and with this truck I wouldn't be without it. We have some issues with the way this hitch is jerking during a turn, but the factory is more than willing to look after us and in fact is sending out a replacement hitch as we speak.
2017/3721RL/Legacy Pkg./Pressure-Pro
DarMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2007, 08:51 AM   #8
boylanag
Montana Master

M.O.C. #5965
Welcome to the forum, Jim and Roxy. You'll get all of your questions answered here.
boylanag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:52 AM   #9
Sunshine
Montana Master

M.O.C. #2018
Welcome to MOC and congratulations on the new Mountaineer. Safe travels.
Sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 05:06 AM   #10
Wandering Star
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #50
Jim and Roxy welcome aboard, we are also from Connecticut and I can't tell you enough how helpful and wonderful this forum has been. We joined this forum in it's initial start up and been enthused with the knowledge, experience and travels from fellow members. Someone always will have the answers to your numerous question, they will usably post pictures as well as instructions.
If you got questions about your trailer, tow vehicle, campsites or destination, just ask and post, you will be pleasantly pleased.

As for your question, I too have a short bed truck with a manual slider hitch. Never had a problem, been fortunate to remember to adjust the hitch, but if I were buying a new hitch or in your shoes I would defiantly purchase and automatic slider.
Wandering Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 10:50 AM   #11
rrheik
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #6292
Jim and Roxy, welcome to the forum and have a great time with the new Mountaineer. As one of the MOC members who has replaced their truck rear window, please do get a slide hitch, whether it be automatic or manual. If you get the manual slider, use it when making those 90 degree turns when backing up. Having spent $350 on a new window last year, I have learned that I must have bought the slider hitch for a reason. Happy rving.

bob
rrheik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2007, 04:25 PM   #12
fulltimedreamer
Montana Master

M.O.C. #919
Welcome to the forum. I know you'll love your new coach. We'll look forward to your future posts about your maiden voyage.
fulltimedreamer is offline   Reply With Quote