Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Additions & Improvements
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2023, 11:43 AM   #1
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Need ideas, suggestions please?

Our Montana High Country 375 FL has 4 slides. The big slide is in the kitchen area (middle of the trailer and is also the largest. It holds the Samsung residential refrigerator, a flimsy wall that boxes in the refrigerator, and the stand alone table and chairs. On the floor is carpeting.

We have dogs and occasionally they make potty messes on that carpet area. We have had the carpet covered with rubber runners which does catch the doggie wet spots, but still, after 4 years, the carpet in that area is shot.

A couple years ago I pulled up the carpet from the front of the slide on the main floor area and got rid of it. A thousand staples removed and the main floor is in good shape.

Today, I pulled up the rest of the carpet, that is actually in the slide, cleaned up the area well and now need to make a decision what to replace on the floor. Another carpet is not the answer.

I think the reason I've hesitated to remove that last portion of carpet until now is because I really have no idea what to replace on the floor. I figure, since we are home right now and weather isn't too horribly cold, now would be a good time to deal with it. By pulling up the carpet, I now HAVE TO replace it with something.

We have enough laminate flooring left over from a kitchen (partial) remodel I did over the winter. I like the laminate and it does not have to match the original linoleum on the main floor. I don't expect it to.

However, I pulled out one of the left over boxes, and my gosh that stuff is heavy.

So, here I am at a momentary pause. Before hitting the Home Depot type stores and just browsing the flooring sections I though I go ahead an bounce this off the forum group.

If you have replaced the flooring in any of your slides, what did you replace the floor with? If it was laminate, has the weight of that stuff affected the performance of the slide.

In my case, it already holds a heavy refrigerator and a pretty heavy table. Adding another 200 to 300 pounds on the slide (or more) ... well ... what's your ideas and thoughts?

Suggestions gladly welcome.

Thanks.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 07:39 PM   #2
rames14
Montana Master

M.O.C. #1920
We like the linoleum that they have in our unit. You could get it through your dealer. It would be a lot lighter and it’s great with dogs. Good luck.
Ron and Terrie Ames - MOC #1920/KF0NTA
2021Montana 3230CK Super Solar Legacy Package
2021 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn, BIM Charging
4x4, SRW, LB, Crew Cab, Pullrite 3900 Hitch
rames14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 11:59 AM   #3
DutchmenSport
Montana Master

M.O.C. #22835
Thought I'd go ahead and share the update.

I really liked the idea of the laminate flooring, especially since I'd just (within the last 2 months) finished laying new laminate in the house, kitchen, hall and one bedroom. I also had 2 cases left over. The only problem was the weight.

So the wife and I made a trip to Lowe's and Home Depot and didn't like what we were seeing. We first attempted to come close to a color match, but everything that came within reason was the same stuff.... way to heavy.

Before giving up, I suggested we go back to the place where I purchased the flooring for house. This is a real flooring business that does nothing but sell flooring. And their selection is huge.

We talked to the folks there and told them what we were wanting ... light weight, and by now, color didn't matter. After walking around a bit we found ourselves in the "discontinued" section and whaloa! There it was. Dark brown and very thin rubbery stuff that still locked together like the laminate stuff does. I think one box of the stuff (27 square feet) weighed about 20 pounds (if that much).

The only problem was, I needed 31.5 square feet, so I had to get 2 boxes. But .... at 99 cents a square foot, I walked out under $55.00!!! And happy as a bed bug against a warm body in the middle of a snow storm.

I took a sample home first and compared it to the rest of the trailer décor and colors and wood color and floor color. It seemed to blend in nice. I figure nothing will ever match the original flooring, so if it was going to clash, at least let it clash with some style! I went back and purchased it.

Here's some photos.

Unfortunately, I do not have a good photo of what the slide looked like before removing any of the carpet. The section attached to the main floor came out over a year ago. That which remained came out just this week.

Here's about the best photo I had of the slide when it was still new. You can catch a glimpse of the original carpet attached to the main trailer floor and the overlapping stuff from the slide. Which, by the way, the slide was retracted, that same corner would bunch up against the kitchen cabinet. In time, that corner frayed, the trim came off, and it was shredding. So, the carpet on the slide, not only for doggie messes, but a lousy design resulted in one horrible carpet after 4 years of use. The refrigerator sits in the sldie.

Here's the carpet after pulling it out from the slide a few days ago.

Here's what the slide looked like when I got the old carpet up. I left that aluminum foil insulation. I debated long and hard about removing it, but decided to leave it. Also, that black edge on the front is the Draco. It's wrapped completely around the floor board, on the outside and on the inside. Everything is built on top of it. So, I definately wanted to leave it too.

Here's the new floor tile information:

And here's the flooring completely installed and finished (today).

And just an FYI, I did glue down the front edge of the flooring onto the aluminum. The aluminum appeared to be stout enough and anchored down good. I didn't know if the free-floating floor would move when traveling so wanted to make sure it stays put. I then, also ran a bead of caulking around the edges against the wall. Why? well, to trim out the edges on the wall better, to keep the tiles from moving when in transit, and IF the dogs pee, there is an edge or a lip, preventing anything wet from draining under the tiles. So, it was important to calk all the edges.

DutchmenSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 04:11 PM   #4
Joint Venture II
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #30751
Looks really good. Been thinking of doing something to our dining/living room slide carpet myself. Have loved laminate flooring for years and there are so many options. I'm looking at marine laminate flooring due to it being light weight too.
Joint Venture II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 04:40 AM   #5
RMcNeal
Montana Master

M.O.C. #25165
That laminate is basically the same thing I am planning to use in ours as well. The carpet isn't holding up very well after 3 years of light use. In my case, only the dinette and chairs are on that side. The slide with the fridge, stove and cabinets has the same linoleum as the rest of the rig.
RMcNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 12:07 PM   #6
rohrmann
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12947
This material might be a good replacement for carpet in slides. https://www.recpro.com/rv-flooring-w...rior-flooring/
rohrmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2023, 12:40 PM   #7
Todd & Mary
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #28634
Very nice, Looks like a professional job!
Old 02-13-2023, 09:42 AM   #8
skippydoo
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #25725
Thank you very much for taking your time to share your modification.

It REALLY looks great.

Thanks again.
skippydoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2023, 01:10 PM   #9
aaronh59
Established Member

M.O.C. #32213
Looks good. I may need to do something similar ones of these days.
aaronh59 is offline   Reply With Quote