Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2023, 01:43 PM   #21
bcrvman
Montana Master

M.O.C. #26399
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
Update: the weather here in central TX has moderated and will be in the 50s-60s for the next several days. Thankyou all for the help and advice!

I have 3 generators.
10 yr old Champion 4000 contractor generator - currently running a fridge+freezer and charging our phones when needed.
8 yr old Champion 3500 inverter genny. It was running good couple of days then it sputtered and quit. While i was trying to get it going again the pull string broke. Home Depot has pull strings so i fixed it and the thing fired up and is powering TV, my work laptop and our wifi but internet provider is currently down.
2 yr old Onan 4500i…i screwed up and have not cranked and run it for maybe a year and it sputters and dies. I gave up trying.Bad on me.

Right now my champions are - well - CHAMPIONS!

We took a ride this morning and was encouraged to see that those guys replaced 4 broke poles and replaced the wires on about 3 miles. Still need to fix about 2 miles. We may get power back before my pessimistic prediction.

I will call a few of the Sams Clubs in the area tomorrow to see what marine AGMs they have in stock. Mine are group 27 and they are $199 at Sams.
DW says we will give them until Monday noon to get power then we need to pull out and go somewhere….the limit on sponge baths and rats in the hair is 5 days!

Thinking about people that have been thru hurricanes and tornadoes - it could be worse. We are blessed to only be missing electricity.

Question about the champion 30 amp inverter genny. I have never used it on the Monte…never used any genny on it. We have not travelled much in past two years for medical reasons but that is behind us now.. If i decide to plug it into the champion - should i NOT use my hughes power dog? I do have 30-50 amp dogbone….any tips are appreciated.

Edit: i am posting this from my phone/verizon. No idea if my signature shows up - it does not show up on my phone.
Truck is 2019 Chevy 3500 DRW
2018 Montana 3921FB

Edit #2…Daryles - Texas had a mini-Freeze-marathon Feb 2011…4 days of 19*. Power failures and brownouts across TX. We lost power and water for 3 days then. Pipes froze. Had the house repaired using long runs of pex. I installed a low house drain. Now I can drain everything like the RV.

Edit #3…9:00 pm the power just came back on! Very thankful for those linemen and bucket trucks. How do they do this work at night in the dark? I am amazed!

Edit #4...I need to hit youtube and figure out how to work on generators and how to get the Onan 4500i running. Customer service thought it might be gummed up carburetor. Times like this remind me that I have a lot to learn. Thankful for this forum.
Just be aware that 'marine' is NOT deep cycle regardless of what it says on the label. If it says CCA or MCCA or the word CRANK appears on the label it is a hybrid. Either get real golf cart 6V batteries, you need 2 but 4 are even better, and plan on charging them a couple times a day for possibly 6 hours. The ONLY way to know what you are doing is to use a battery monitor. Your other choice is Lithium, costs more up front but has MANY huge advantages.

3,000 watt hybrid inverter with 120A charger
bcrvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 03:35 PM   #22
steiny93
Montana Fan

M.O.C. #17461
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikendebbie View Post
What is the procedure to check the batteries?
Realistically a load test will be the best indicator as to the current state of the batts. Basically, you fully charge them, put a set load on them and measure the voltage drop.

Pretty much every battery place can do a load test, some require the batts to be carried into the store, some don't. The batts need to be fully charged to do the test.

Or, you can buy a load tester.
steiny93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 07:14 AM   #23
ojo123
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #21516
mikendebbie
When I bought my onan 4500 the electric choke was disconnected. Wouldn't start. Took the side panel off and manually moved the black choke switch next to the carburator and it started. The wire for the electric choke became disconnected in transit I assume. Try that first.
ojo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 09:13 AM   #24
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Lots of load tester options

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-BT...gion_id=674469

https://www.harborfreight.com/digita...SABEgJ0c_D_BwE
Old 02-09-2023, 07:12 PM   #25
Mikendebbie
Montana Master

M.O.C. #21044
Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan
The 13.n Volts is the converter output to charge the batteries. You can look at the Charge Wizard LED to get an indication of the charge phase the converter is in but I haven't found that to be to dependable.
Let it do its thing for a few days, then disconnect the shore power (or converter), let the batteries rest for 30 minutes or more, and then check the voltage at the InCommand panel.
I did the test suggested by Carl…
Unplugged from shore power this morning
Checked InCommand voltage 2 hrs later - 12.4 volts
Checked InCommand at 6 hrs - 12.4 volts

Maybe it’s not totally gone to battery heaven yet. I bought these batteries from Sams about a year ago (1-23-2022) and they have an 18 month warranty…so I suppose I will get a minimal amount in trade from Sams - but they rarely have group 27 AGMs in stock. I really don’t want to go back to lead acid marine batteries but they do have Duracell Group 27s in stock for $99.

Looking for recommendations for other brands of AGMs
Never have considered 6 volt batteries - are they all the same? Will 2 x 6 volts = same as two 12 volt? I need some schooling’.

Update on the Cummins Onan P4500i. I found some videos on the choke motor coming unplugged. Took my case off and mine was plugged in. I charged the battery and it did fire up and run, but it surged really bad. Performed the easy low speed carb jet clean but it still surged. I dropped it off at the Cummins Service Center in Austin this morning so they can get it running right.
Aussie Gus + Texas Heeler Jimmy
Mikendebbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 07:22 PM   #26
AZ Traveler
Site Team

M.O.C. #20477
Mike,

You do not want marine batteries - they are not true deep cycle batteries.

"Life is too short to stay indoors, enjoy the ride!"
AZ Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 07:16 PM   #27
wed
Montana Master

M.O.C. #8174
They probably are
2020 3931 FB Legacy
wed is offline   Reply With Quote