Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Montana Owners Club - Keystone Montana 5th Wheel Forum > MOC Technical Forums > Montana Problems, Problem Solving & Technical Help
Click Here to Login

Old 08-10-2020, 08:03 PM   #1
BenFish’n
Established Member

M.O.C. #25921
Where are the GFI Outlets?

I have a Montana 3930 FB and I can’t find the GFI outlet for the Kitchen. All my outlets in the kitchen and living room are out. There is a GFI outlet in the half bath, but it is not tripped. All the outlets in the bedroom and bathroom work.

Thank you for any help that you can offer.
BenFish’n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:04 PM   #2
masterdrago
Montana Master

M.O.C. #20587
I think there is one either on the outside on curb side or in the pass thru next to the vacuum cleaner.
Old 08-10-2020, 09:06 PM   #3
dhuhn
Montana Master

M.O.C. #17176
Send a message via MSN to dhuhn
Do you have an Island? There’s one there if you have one

Dan & Sandy Huhn
2016 Montana 3720 2015 Chevy 3500 SWD Duro Max
Prev 2012 High Country 313RE 2012 Chevy 2500 DMax
dhuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:34 AM   #4
1retired06
Montana Master

M.O.C. #12156
We have the 3910, and there is also a GFI on the left side of the bed, and another in the outside storage area, door side and the kitchen island..
F350 crew cab dually 6.7
1retired06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:06 AM   #5
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Are those non working outlets labeled "GFCI Protected"? The kitchen outlets, if near wet areas, should be either a GFCI outlet or a "Protected" outlet meaning it is a slave to a GFCI outlet somewhere else. But outlets in areas away from wet areas are not normally GFCI protected.

Sounds like all your outlets in the front of the trailer are working and all those in the rear are not. With that many outlets not working, I am wondering if you might have lost one leg of your 50 amp service. Are both A/Cs working?
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 01:10 PM   #6
ICT LPX

M.O.C. #24674
I have a 2019 Montana High Country 378RD. I just spent a week camping and when we arrived at our site, my wife informed me that none of the outlets in the kitchen and the half wall that services the recliners worked. All are labeled GFI because they are near the kitchen sink. Upon further examination I noticed that the GFI protected outlet on the outside/curbside did not work. All other outlets in the rig, including the bathroom and basement work fine. I checked fuses and breakers with no luck. Both A/C's and fans on top of the unit work fine. The inoperative outlets do not have a typical GFI outlet only a sticker declaring them as GFI.
I dropped the unit off at my dealer yesterday for service.
ICT LPX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 03:15 PM   #7
BB_TX
Montana Master

M.O.C. #6433
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICT LPX View Post
The inoperative outlets do not have a typical GFI outlet only a sticker declaring them as GFI.
I dropped the unit off at my dealer yesterday for service.
Those outlets are slaves wired from a “real” GFCI outlet. Any one of those slaves detecting a fault will trip the GFCI outlet and kill power to all the slaves. You just have to locate the “real” GFCI outlet and reset it.

And if it will not reset it is either bad or there is something with a fault plugged into one of those outlets. You have to unplug everything from all those outlets and see if the GFCI will reset.
BB_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 09:56 AM   #8
WhatExit?
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28356
Reviving an old thread….

We were watching the 50” TV with a home theater receiver I had plugged in and after about an hour the power went out and it was out in most of the trailer (3120RL). I searched everywhere and found the only GFCI outlet with the reset button is in the bathroom and it wouldn’t let me reset it.

There are other GFCI outlets, including in the storage garage by the vacuum and on the island, but those are slaves to what I guess is the main GFCI in the bathroom.

I checked all the fuses and breakers, and nothing seem to be a mess. The generator light was flashing at a higher rate, but it was otherwise working fine.

When we woke up this morning, whatever the problem was had reset itself and things are working fine now. I won’t use the receiver with the TV on the same circuit.

But the mystery remains as I’m not sure what reset.
WhatExit? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2022, 10:32 AM   #9
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatExit? View Post
Reviving an old thread….

We were watching the 50” TV with a home theater receiver I had plugged in and after about an hour the power went out and it was out in most of the trailer (3120RL). I searched everywhere and found the only GFCI outlet with the reset button is in the bathroom and it wouldn’t let me reset it.

There are other GFCI outlets, including in the storage garage by the vacuum and on the island, but those are slaves to what I guess is the main GFCI in the bathroom.

I checked all the fuses and breakers, and nothing seem to be a mess. The generator light was flashing at a higher rate, but it was otherwise working fine.

When we woke up this morning, whatever the problem was had reset itself and things are working fine now. I won’t use the receiver with the TV on the same circuit.

But the mystery remains as I’m not sure what reset.
Did you unplug everything and try again? Are you on shore power?

I had the same exact issue after installing my Onan generator. Sometimes it would work great then it wouldn't! It seemed to be most present when boon docking and after shutting off the generator. Some or all the GFI's would trip. Sometimes I could reset them and sometimes I couldn't. I was so frustrated I removed the GFI's and bypassed them. The dealer replaced them and vaguely explained that they were wired incorrectly. Since the repair it's happened one time but I was able to reset. I really don't have an answer but I will say that Since then I had 1 circuit fail. During repair they found a wire nut had come off. During that repair the transfer switch smoked. During that repair they found the shore power wires at the connector were loose....

If you determine the problem I'd love to know!
Old 11-24-2022, 10:44 AM   #10
Carl n Susan
Site Team

M.O.C. #4831
Ifd the GFCI would not reset it didn''t have power. With power "...out in most of the trailer.." along with the GFCI is sounds like you lost a leg, or all, of your shore power. If everything is back this morning it will be hard to diagnose. But I would check for a loose wire connection in the power supply system (i.e. the shore power box, 50 amp cable, trailer receptacle, fuse panel, etc.).
As for the "The generator light was flashing at a higher rate" are you referring to the LED in the Circuit Breaker/Fuse Panel? That is the "Charge Wizard" light which indicates the state of charging to the batteries. Likely the loss of power affected the converter and the batteries had discharged.

Carl n Susan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2022, 10:23 AM   #11
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl n Susan View Post
Ifd the GFCI would not reset it didn''t have power. With power "...out in most of the trailer.." along with the GFCI is sounds like you lost a leg, or all, of your shore power. If everything is back this morning it will be hard to diagnose. But I would check for a loose wire connection in the power supply system (i.e. the shore power box, 50 amp cable, trailer receptacle, fuse panel, etc.).
As for the "The generator light was flashing at a higher rate" are you referring to the LED in the Circuit Breaker/Fuse Panel? That is the "Charge Wizard" light which indicates the state of charging to the batteries. Likely the loss of power affected the converter and the batteries had discharged.
All true what Carl said. In my case the GFI would reset for a second and trip continually. So a loose or open ground or neutral?
Old 11-25-2022, 10:40 AM   #12
WhatExit?
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28356
Thanks everyone. We’re boondocking and the light that was fast flashing was on the generator start switch
Old 11-25-2022, 06:56 PM   #13
Foldbak
Montana Master

M.O.C. #30417
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhatExit? View Post
Thanks everyone. We’re boondocking and the light that was fast flashing was on the generator start switch
That indicates a generator fault. What was the flash code?

https://thecampingadvisor.com/onan-g...r-fault-codes/
Old 11-26-2022, 02:38 PM   #14
WhatExit?
Seasoned Camper

M.O.C. #28356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foldbak View Post
That indicates a generator fault. What was the flash code?

https://thecampingadvisor.com/onan-g...r-fault-codes/
Just flashing steady